Carnivore/Zero Carb January 2017!

(Becky Searls) #223

awesome girl!! :clap: any favorite dishes so far you recommend??

(Becky Searls) #224

I think you probably will be able to tell if itā€™s safe or not for you based on how you feel / react after the first glass? If it makes you feel out of control or unwell youā€™ll likely want to get back to your purist ways asap. So why not try and test your boundary/tolerance? If youā€™re anything like me youā€™ll get really excited to have a drink, have 2-3 sips and forget about it and then realize you didnā€™t finish your drink an hour later. Iā€™ve stopped ordering alcohol altogether while eating out bc I NEVER finish it anymore. And then I donā€™t really drink at home either bc I think if it as a special thing I like doing when I go out, lol. End result is Iā€™ve had the equivalent of 1 alcoholic beverage in the last 1.5 months! Crazy!

My hands down favorite has been any cut of beef made using the sous vide. I can take the toughest and most inexpensive cuts and turn them into something amazing. Steaks come out melt in your mouth tender. As Iā€™ve mentioned in prior posts, since going zerocarb, I have started to prefer meat rare or medium rare. I add some fat on top or bernaisse and Iā€™m all set.

(Terry) #226

I agree! It takes a bit longer, but definitely worth the wait. Iā€™ve been cooking sous vide for a year now & I love that Iā€™m able to buy cheaper cuts of meat. I put 10 lbs of stew meat in for 48 hours last night. Canā€™t wait to try it tomorrow! :blush:

(nadine1073) #227

Well F*$#! I just realized that while at the hospital, during surgery, after surgery, I had an IV dripā€¦ which has glucose!! I am going thru carb withdrawalā€¦all over againā€¦ sugar free since June. Iā€™ve been so vigilent on not cheating and now starting over. This sucks! Well at least I have 2 weeks to get my sh*t together again. Sorry for the rant!

(Annette) #228

If you need to have another, someone posted on a facebook page about a year ago to request IV fluid Lactated Ringers. No glucose but does contain electrolytes. Then when they add medications in the small bags (IV piggybacks), ask for the bags to be normal saline solution.

(nadine1073) #229

Letā€™s hope I donā€™t.

Day 32ā€¦woohoo. I continue to feel great. My workouts have not suffered. My appetite has decreased. I was eating 2 meals a day on regular keto but now itā€™s one meal most days. Iā€™ve enjoyed the simplicity of meal prep and the elimination of sweet tasting foods (Iā€™ve eliminated fat bombs and keto desserts) has helped with cravings and overeating. My total weight loss is about 4lbs but my body comp is visibly improvedā€¦my abs are slowly returning! The most recent negative is dark undereye circles. I get plent of sleep and have never had this problem before. Iā€™ve done a little reading on it and some believe itā€™s caused by a vitamin k2 deficiency. Iā€™ve started a supplement so weā€™ll see if it helps. I do not think I will continue with zero carb past Jan because I enjoy the variety veggies and nuts provide, but I have truly enjoyed this month. I would like to thank the moderators of this group and all who have offered feedback. It has all been more helpful than you can imagine.

(Alex Dipego) #231

Fav part of ZC? I had a bite of sour dough last night just because I took my wife out for her birthday and she wanted me to taste it thinking it was salty. It was good, I remember living off challah and sourdough forever! I just had the bite though. No cravings, I was good. Went back to my prosciutto and my t-bone.

I may add some variety of veggie but itā€™s been so easy just altering the protein and fat whether itā€™s oil, butter or lard. Been ZC since the 2nd, Iā€™ll probably continue as its normal feeling, easiest thing Iā€™ve ever done.

(Julie Anderson) #232

Thereā€™s a really AWESOME restaurant in Juneau that has amazing salmon. My husband and I will definitely be visiting it again while we are there on the LC cruise.

Julie

I have been ZC for 21 days, keto before that. I feel great EXCEPTā€¦ I have diarrhea most days and i havenā€™t lost any weight, which isnā€™t really a bad thing because i was constantly up and down the same 5kg on keto. My clothes havenā€™t changed so no loss in measurements either.
I donā€™t eat dairy as Iā€™m allergic and eat about 500-800g meat daily which my body seems to be satisfied with that amount.

Anyone else the same?
Thoughts?

(Rick) #234

Wow that is alot of meat 500- 800g! Iā€™m 190 lbs, exercise regularly and I rarely get over 100 grams daily. No issue here if that works for you, but wow! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

100g? 2slices of bacon would be 100g.
Is that right?

(Rick) #236

Protein is about 3 grams per strip of bacon actually :slight_smile:

Ok I donā€™t know what the amount of protein Iā€™m eating as I donā€™t count. I mean 500-800g of meat, as in the whole weight of it.
Most days itā€™s 500g.

So I counted the protein and itā€™s approx between 78-126g per day.

(Rick) #239

Sorry, my bad, I seen meat and read protein lol. Still pretty high even for my heavy weight self, but thatā€™s just in regards to my nutritional needs. Keto on!

(Alex Dipego) #240

Iā€™m at 172lbs eating 1-1.5lbs of meat a day (450-500g) maintaining weight which is nice. Your protein may be a lil high with so much, just a guess.

I will share my experience which might be TMI for some. I try to eat at least 100g of protein per day because I am trying to build muscle mass. I have noticed no change in bowel habits on zero carb, however mct oil does cause me to have diarrhea on occasion. I started keto in Oct and this is my first time doing zero carb. In this entire time I have lost only 5lbs. I donā€™t think I would have lost the 5 if I hadnā€™t started monthly zornfasts and now IF (due to lack of appetite). I donā€™t reduce my protein because weight loss isnā€™t my priority. In addition, I only have 10-15lb that I would care to lose. Overall I believe my hormones play a large factor in body/weight changes, as I dealt with a number of symptoms with the diet changes. Those sx were keto flu, 4 hr headaches, irregular menstrual cycles, emotionality, crying spells, dark undereye circles, and my hair falling out by the handfuls! Nonetheless Iā€™ve kept going and have noticed significant differences in body composition. I have improved energy and sleep, and I literally can go for days without eating or feeling hungry. I also believe this WOE will help protect me against metabolic diseases which are common in my family. So, overall the good outweighs the negative. The wacky symptoms have subsided and it all just seems to work for me. Perhaps recalculating your macros might help if your goal is weight loss.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #242

I have started adding a few carbs in as of the end of last week - well, I tested some cabbage. :flushed: ~bad move~ so, I now know definitively that cabbage is one of the culprit veggies. I wasnā€™t exactly sure before, but know now. I have avocado on deck ripening to have this week.

All of this has brought me to the conclusion that for me, VLC is good for me most days. Iā€™m not disappointed. I got to be creative in satisfying variety needs when they came up.