Carnivore/Zero Carb January 2017!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #188

@Becky @amber I made baconnaise. :grin:

Hi all, I am with you on this way of eating! I started early in December, but didn’t know it was actually a lifestyle. I just decided to do a fast from carbs. Then on December 12 I heard Amber on the Dudes podcast and I was all in! Thank you Amber! My goal is to accelerate my last bit of healing from autoimmunity and metabolic syndrome. I had already been keto, have had no problems with the transition, and am feeling great!

Wow! This is so impressive! It will be so interesting to hear what you learn!

Yeah…same here! :grinning:

water pill for htn and diltiazem for tachycardia. i have read that estrogen can be released from fat and cause significant hormonal effects and since I started keto my cycles have been completely out of wack (for the past 3 mos). they were regular prior to keto. So, these mood changes lasted for 24 hours and now I’m feeling like my old self. I did add pure coconut oil during this period as i intuitively felt that my body needed more fat. So now that I’m feeling good, I’m ready to embark on the Jan zornfast!

(Adam L) #193

I was so so happy this morning, 24 hours fasted after a big ZC breakfast yesterday, when blood sugar measured 5.3 (96) & ketones 2.5, great numbers I haven’t seen very often, my best numbers for 2017. Ten hours of fasting later I was about to tuck into a pork roast so measured again:

I seriously almost cried with happiness but the pork was ready to eat so I got myself the fattiest parts, spooned on a little of the rendered lard & the caramelised bits from the bottom of the pan and devoured it carnivore style.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #194

Luvin’ your style @Adam
Congratulations on the BG and ketones!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #195

@Adam I’m sitting over here smiling really big at your profile picture and feeling totally elated for you!

(Genevieve Biggs) #196

I finally get to truly start tomorrow. Hubby and I have been on vacation for 3 weeks, and most of it spent with his sister (and BIL). I was still researching ZC when we arrived, but now I am convinced that I want to be ZC for life. We spent one week at a timeshare, and I was almost entirely pure ZC (but for a wee bit of chocolate) the whole time and felt so much better. When we returned to his sisters and I’ve been having vegetables, spices, minor amounts of non-keto foods (as ingredients in larger dishes), I’ve been bloated and icky all week.

We leave tomorrow, and although I am loathe to leave Florida weather, I am ready for Zero Carb. It’ll be a few days road trip until we’re home, but I intend to start a 30 day trial of only beef and water (with some eggs, butter, etc.). That period includes no caffeine of any kind–coffee, tea, matcha, coffee–none of it.

I am soo ready to kick inflammation in the pants, and to lose my last 20-30 lbs. KCZCO

(Adam L) #197

Thanks @Becky & @Charmaine-OLD - by coincidence in that pic I have a bbq full of snags & other meat cooking in front of me :grinning:

(Julian Webber) #198

Hot smoked. Usually about 4hrs for a 2kg piece of brisket. I use a home make tomato sause as a marinade. Delicious.

(Adam L) #199

Another excellent ZC day, I’m doing dairy free January as well as ZC & am missing cheese & double cream but I think that’s mainly due to me cooking Parmesan cheese crisps & creamed spinach for my wife today & yesterday. Not tempted to eat that stuff though, really keen to nail this goal & keep feeling great. Very pleased to have stayed plant matter free so far in Jan apart from 2 cups of black coffee, not even having pepper or non animal oils. Planning on cooking pulled slow cooked beef in either low carb beer or bourbon for a work pot luck lunch on Monday so I guess there’s some plant origin stuff going to creep in there - but it should be nice! Unless I get a ton of fat & slow cook it in that, which is an option.

It is day 16 of my zero carb journey and I’ve completed 24hrs of my zornfast! I’m using coconut oil and chicken broth during the fast. I’m feeling great minus the mild headaches. I’m taking in as much salt as I can stand. So far so good.

(Alex Dipego) #201

it’s a rare thing to enjoy such delicious meat. 1lb of top blade steaks and six eggs. It’s so hard living this way :joy:

How’s everyone’s bm? Good, bad, better, worse?

I definitely feel less bloated and definitely have improved in that area. If the only thing ZC does for me is heal my stomach issues, then to me it’s worth it.

(Genevieve Biggs) #203

Better!!!

(Arlene) #204

Lard is my fat of choice. It’s so versatile, and I render many quarts every year when our hogs are butchered. It keeps all year in quart jars on the shelf. I have tried to render our beef fat the same way, but tallow just goes rancid on the shelf. I’m not sure why. I do save all beef fats from cooking, then use the fat for the next several meals, storing it in the fridge. It’s just nice that lard doesn’t have to be stored in the fridge.

I store all rendered fats in the fridge. Even lard. No matter if it’s important to do so or not. Puts my mind to rest that it won’t go bad.

(nadine1073) #206

Trying more dairy this week… gonna see how that goes. Dairy stalled me on keto… but maybe will be different on ZC. I’ve had cheese here and there but will be trying HWC in my roobios tea. Missing a warm drink but I have no broth atm. ZC and sweet free 16 days!! Yaye me :hugs:

Day 19: I just broke my 3 day zornfast with this…scrambled eggs and braised country style pork ribs. I don’t eat pork regularly beyond bacon but damn was this good!