Carnivore Rocktober - ZC Carnivore 31 day challenge October 2022

I grabbed a cute piece of meat, it was a tad above a pound - oh at least I have SOME numbers :smiley:
And ate it.
That was my lunch :wink:

I drink coffee today for reasons. And I don’t feel so good due to funeral related stress but it’s better now that Alvaro is home, more phone calls were made and the meat is sitting happily in my stomach.

I… can’t track. Like, AT ALL, the fat/calories part I mean. I haven’t the FOGGIEST idea about the fat content of my pork now. It’s worse than ever…
It’s nothing like the normal “pork thigh” I eat. Sometimes the slab has a quite nice fat layer on top but THIS one? It’s full with fat! (Or it feels so but it has a lot.) I got 80g lard rendered out, I have pure fat pouches, there is fat outside and inside… The meat itself feels nicely fat too but it’s probably not that, just soft, I prefer this lean but still soft, almost creamy feel (that 140 minutes was well spent. the meat didn’t lost as much water as usual and it’s just wonderful!)…
So I can’t even say “it’s fattier than pork chuck”, it does feel fattier, I left some pure fat parts! But the pure meat part must be lean, it’s just the visible fat that is so, so much. But pork chuck has it similar, it’s unusual from this cut though.

So no idea about my macros but it was lovely! :smiley: And even counting with pork chuck and more fat, very low-cal so I will have a cute dinner later (my protein is only 80g anyway). I didn’t even get perfectly satiated, I just finished my chosen piece (minus a bite of fat) and felt it’s enough for now.
Well I definitely don’t want to add anything so it did the trick :wink:

It went WAY better than expected. One item lunch… I never do such a thing!

When I get another card reader (Alvaro says he has, like, 8), I will bring photos.

So exited about the next days, I wonder when I will get bored with this wonderful meat :wink:

In the end, I didn’t go for a walk as it RAINED. Again. So I was on the terrace, handling walnuts, sorting, cracking…
I know I should use the chance and go out when it’s sunshine but I was so, so sleepy… Couldn’t nap but couldn’t bring myself to go out in time either.

I try that walk again. I need it.

ohhh forget your coffee thingy in your head. You are moving thru grief and what ifs in life and it takes a toll. You will be OK and you got support thru Alvaro…just give it time S! :heart:

Eggs and bacon in salmon fat for NoFUN breakfast, then roast lamb tonight. Coffee and cream at 11am. Worked at the computer. But also got out into the sunshine doing some gardening chores. Drove to the city this evening for this week’s work.

(Edith) #44

I took Buddhist classes many years ago. One premise of Buddhism is attachment. We should enjoy things while we can be we shouldn’t attach ourselves to them. The everything has its season, so to speak. Willing to let go when it is time to let go. They also talked about attachment of emotion. I realized at the time I attached anxiety to being late. I learned to think, “Okay, yes, I am running late. It is what it is. I don’t have to be anxious about it. I will just do my best.” Having that realization that I didn’t have to attach anxiety to being late helped me a lot. Now, if I could only figure out how to not attach anxiety to all the thoughts that race around my head at 3:00 am …

this is SO wrong on the title ya put it too LOL me just sayin’ that doesn’t truly apply anymore, does it…for you?..time for new gibbie or what’cha’may deem it…or new title that shows your strength now ??how much you love eatin this way maybe? :smile: New forward movement maybe cause you are becoming a new you ya know!

many hold our pasts to define us but we literally only have future to live :wink:

Oh I don’t worry about coffee but I do want to keep my tiny momentum and not slipping back to drinking it all the time… But having only not tasty kinds (drinkable in the way I normally drink coffee, weak and with egg and butter, it’s even quite enjoyable with milk/cream… not good black) helps. I will buy my fav when it will be on sale (and I see it in the first place, I couldn’t find it anywhere on Saturday) and use it in moderation… That has a nice aroma…

I decided I don’t need to (and probably shouldn’t) be super strict all the time :smiley: I keep the “one pound pork roast for my first meal” plan (and change it when I need it, obviously) but I don’t have such rules for the second. Now I fancied my leftover sponge cakes with some deli meat I was curious about. It was tasty but needs more sponge cakes per slice.
I had an eggy, buttery coffee too. And some butter but I don’t want to eat it all alone and had no sponge cakes so it wasn’t much. Oh and my old leftover really lean and dry pork with leftover mustard sauce.

Now I feel very full and way better (calmer) than before, my walk helped too.

If I use pork chuck data for my mysteriously fatty pork, it’s 1300 kcal and 112g protein. And super low-carb but of course.
We will see what happens.

(Linda ) #47

Todays first meal Ny strip steak butter ended up eating just a bit more butter than shown here i try to eat butter with every bite…plus fatty coffee

Some days it’s two meals yesterday was three so we will see how today goes but I want to go
the store to get more kerrigold butter before I run out…

I put some butter on my plate, as generously as I could… (Butter is SUPER expensive and I am used to minimizing it.) It was 18 grams. I could eat that much if I had more sponge cakes but as those were for deli meat, I ended up with maybe 8g? Including the part in my coffee…

My butter eating skills are pitiful at this point, my diligently created brakes are strong and impossible to take them out quickly. And I guess all the fat I ate yesterday and today along with my meat didn’t make me want much extra fat either…
I thought about you, @Azi. And Steak and Butter Gal.

But tomorrow we get eggs and I make new sponge cakes and will eat some with butter, yum. (Still carefully. My meat is fatty anyway.)

(Linda ) #49

Butter is not cheap here either but compared to meat it’s way cheaper and I’m trying to eat about 112g per day… so about 4 ounces some times over sometimes over less… but I’m eating way less meat. So im probably saving money lol… where as before id probably eat one pound of meat per meal sometimes less cos I’d eat it by the steak lol now its 4 meals…so big turn around but I’m not used to buying butter at every shop so last week I forgot lol… I find if I’m eating hot meat I want my butter cold and solid but if it’s cold meat I prefer it spreadable…

Next time I try to report my day the next day when I actually know what happened.

1.5 pounds of meat today and 3 eggs. And extra fat. I was still borderline hungry, well of course, I was probably below 120g protein. And ate more pork roast.
Sometimes I feel I should focus on fattier things and then I usually swap to sausage or maybe pâtÊ but now I specifically, only wanted FAT.
So I ate lovely, tender, well-cooked pork hock fat (the leftover piece of butter too) and it felt the most right thing ever.

150-170g protein, 2g carbs, fat is anyone’s guess… Similar to protein I guess.
Either it’s a special day or I better add something fattier if I eat this roast. But it feels fatty… It has a lot of fat, visibly. But apparently not enough.

Butter is way, way, way more expensive than pork here (it’s even more expensive than the ruminant meat I buy sometimes). Not for calories but that wouldn’t be a fair comparison due to all the nutrients. Protein tends to be at least somewhat expensive.

Butter vs my beloved pork jowl is much more comparable as both are mostly fat. Pork jowl wins by FAR (more than twice as much fat therefore calories for the same money) and I actually prefer the taste, it’s very rich while butter (the cheapest though as things go, the cheapest butter gets closer to kerrygold), well butter has a lovely but very modest little taste.
Butter vs plain pork belly fat (or lard) is even way worse for butter but butter is tastier - or it’s just me, I dislike pork fat without meat and the tiny amount in the pork jowl makes all the difference and that is flavored and most importantly, slowly cooked and it does wonders with pork fat.

But I am so focused on the butter price per kg vs other fats and the taste is tiny… That I forget that 100g butter actually doesn’t cost so much, I COULD afford that much if I really wanted even if it probably would raise my food costs a little. As I can’t eat less meat (or eggs but now I go for meat), I need my high protein. I could lower it temporarily but probably not for days on row. I may try it one day. I actually want to. It’s tiresome to make assumptions, it’s extrapolation as I never tried that…

(Judy Thompson) #51

@Azi isn’t it great to have pups around? Funny how your rottie is rough taking a treat. Can you train that out? Our little yorkiepoo Mimsy is so delicate, and my daughter’s dog, though just a few pounds heavier, will take your fingers with her liver treats if you’re not careful. Just nice having them around to share with sometimes.
@Fangs yes, I do better with some structure in the day. Yesterday was endless, today I got grocery shopping done finally and taught a few students. That’s plenty. I never could manage an 8 hour job. In music, even in the military band, we worked 3 hours a day plus performances.
@Karen18 oh poor Raymond! Well, maybe he needed some rest too.
After coming home from the store today I just fixed eggs, sausage, and bacon, then got ready for afternoon lessons. Now we’re watching Forrest Gump, winding down for the evening.
Another good happy day in Carni-land.

simple day. simple food.

got a nice ribeye steak and burger patty and will fry up some last chick has to be used and a few slices bacon left to be used. kinda ‘like’ eat up the scraps day here :sunny:

image000000%20(29)

first ribeye is mine, second is hubbys for dinner tonight and I am defrosting my burger patty now to be ready later.

simple all good day here! Hope everyone else has a fab day!

Baked beef ribs. A couple of coffees at work and a mug of beef bone broth. 1 egg and bacon at breakfast.

Feeling weak this week. That heart thing might be lingering. Out of breath on a walk I usually don’t notice. No time for more work-up. No time for another sick day.

Sun is going down later. Was able to walk Billie the Labrador at the city beach near my Mum’s place.

Staff meetings, union meetings, looming strike action, industry schmoozing events outside of work hours at night for work, office politics, peer counselling, performance review, career planning, looming this, looming that… all get in the way of doing actual work. “Just let me teach.” I think I found the fatigue factor.

Staying on plan. Billie is a good personal trainer.

@Fangs, “NoFUN” is an @carnivoor2 term = No Food Until Noon.

A 55 year old man drowned in the surf at my local beach on the weekend past. He thought his teenage sons were in trouble, so went in to help them. These city people don’t understand the power of the ocean where we live. It can be beautiful and deadly at the same time. He was 2 years younger than me. I swim and surf in those waves regularly. I was swimming at the same beach on the same day he drowned. Even though I feel weak, I might be stronger than the main stream. And I can read the waves.

I hope no one has arachnophobia here.

Nice sunny day (after some rain as usual…) and while I still love my pork, I felt like eating eggs and cheese too so I did (I started with pork in the end and finished too but there was scrambled eggs from 3 eggs with cheese). But I just won’t go downstairs for the zillionth time in a row so you get our smoked hock photo this time!

Yesterday I felt off after eating fat alone, it had a significant delay and it wasn’t bad, per se but I didn’t like it. But a tiny bit of dairy felt like something that could help and it did.
But I still felt a bit heaviness in my belly this morning. Yeah I know I need protein with my fat but this new pork confused me.

Today was slightly problematic too. I fried my lovely but too pale pork and it got just a tad dry, not every slice and it was fine but it diminished the amount I liked to eat. Even with my cheesy scrambled eggs, it wasn’t enough. But I had no sponge cakes yet (bad idea. I need to have some at hand all the time, apparently). So I came upstairs but was starving 1.5 hour later. I made my sponge cakes and ate some with various items, I had more pork roast but it wasn’t really enjoyable, I don’t know why though big hunger usually ruins my appetite. But maybe my not fully okay sleep had something to do with my small troubles too. Not big ones as I had various food and I ate until I got satiated. It’s just not such a perfect satiation I am used to near carnivore and I actually was quite hungry for a while and I dislike that. Oh well, it wasn’t so bad.
No idea about my macros. I am horrible at guessing. I had less meat and more eggs than yesterday and some cheese too. But yesterday was quite high-protein so I suppose today is good? Oh well I will try to track later (I didn’t finish it all but I won’t measure the tiny leftovers).

Tomorrow I will try to use thicker slices and a super quick sear :wink: I have such a lovely ingredient, I should be able to make it just right, not too pale, not too dry.

Alvaro is a dear, bringing me the loveliest gifts. Last time it was pansies, today 50 pretty big and cheap eggs and 2 kg 70/30 pork. It is very cheap pork as it is “scraps”, smaller (still big) pieces, perfectly fine for me, it’s actually one of my fav options, I really like it fried in small cubes, it’s lovely and give me lard… So it’s cheap even without a price cap, I only saw it in the small town supermarket though. The price went up a bit but it’s still the cheapest if we disregard the price cap.
Meanwhile all our cash disappeared, these are such times. We did the pretty serious city shopping with cash as Alvaro saved the money on his bank card (that’s not very much either as he keeps most money elsewhere where it loses its value less) for cemetery fees if that is needed, we do things remotely, after all, who knows when we should pay, now or later. It’s so odd, I am used to having a lot of cash at home. Well, not a lot but more than enough, even for most emergencies.

So. I have 2kg meat I don’t need right now and a full freezer, I think I will get out some broth and organize the upper, non-meat part and get out whatever I can… Alvaro brings a rabbit soon but he will make a stew of it immediately.

I rested enough, I grab my other CF card from the camera downstairs…
Oh why I can’t get the focus right… I will focus on the autofocus next time, I know it is horrible sometimes, no wonder I typically use manual focus… Sigh.
So this was my lunch yesterday. Without the jellied stuff, I still have most of it :slight_smile: A tad above a pound of pork roast.

I have acquired a black spider set, they are 6 in total, aren’t they lovely? :smiley: I never can have too many big black spiders.

I won’t get bored of them ever but for now they even belong to my tiny dining table, along with the tiny wild chestnut that has a very very near expiration date, it dries out quickly and loses its smooth, shiny, lovely colored surface (that is totally not visible in this pic. it’s way lighter and more colorful). But we can enjoy until then. By the way Alvaro brought me this too, I wasn’t in the forest since too long because of all the rain we had.

I will experiment with meat and eggs only in the future but I just can’t do that now. I enjoyed my dairy (2 different kinds of cheese and sour cream).

(Linda ) #56

Yep nope don’t like spiders they are something that I just don’t have around me I cannot go into a pet store that has them and walk by them even if they in glass and I’m so pleased we don’t have the ones they have in Perth Australia or I’d probably abandon my home.

Todays food is strip steak again and butter and one fatty coffee

(Michael) #57

I think I am settling into a new norm for meals. 2 oz fish roe for vit E, 2 oz snails for magnesium, 2 oz chicken liver for B9, pork for B1, 2 oz beef liver for copper and vit a A, thymus for vit C and more fat, beef heart for coQ10, sardines for calcium and sodium and mussels for manganese. Nutrient dense!

(Megan) #58

It sure is great! Yea, I’ve been doing specific training to teach “gentle” but I finally found my brain and have started using low value food to train in the command, to give her the best shot at learning what I am wanting from her. My food and her usual food is way too yummy!

I am getting nuts about this rottie pup, she is such a treasure. Raising a tank is quite different in some ways from raising my other dogs tho. Like to teach my other dogs to move if they were standing where I wanted to walk, I just needed to walk into them and they would move as they felt their body being pushed a bit, and over time they figured out what I was wanting from them. Walking into Lulu is like walking into a block of concrete lol

She’s not a big rottie, was seriously underfed as a baby and is still a couple of kg under what all the rottie sites say she “should” be, but she’s still solid as heck from all that muscle. Now she’s gotten a bit older (9 months old now) I have dropped her food a weeny bit to create a visible tuck and easily felt ribs. It’s tempting to keep her chunky but it’s a terrible thing to do for her joints. I’m also OMADing her now like her big sister, to give her body hours in the day it’s not dealing with digesting food and can do other things like tissue repair etc.

Speaking of the big sister, Grace is doing great. Can’t believe it’s only been 9 weeks since she haemorrhaged and needed emergency surgery. “Feels” like I’ve been living with her cancer diagnosis at least twice this long. She’s gotten quite a bit of her energy back but is now acting more her age, I guess. Prior to the tumour rupture and bleed she acted like a 6 year old, not an active 11 year old. Having no spleen means she is most likely running a bit anaemic, and her heat seeking seems to confirm it. Maybe she’ll have her 1st Auckland summer of not panting a lot.

(Judy Thompson) #59

Aww Megan what heartbreak dealing with a cancerous pup! Sounds like she’s doing great now though, lol@Lulu. It will be fun following her growth and progress.

This morning I popped the tenderloin roast into the sous vide, and later the wings into the air fryer. Turned out they weren’t done together so had a tenderloin steak and wings for dessert. Just 2 but I had the other 2 tonight. Funny that we had the best cut of tenderloin but all we could talk about was how wonderful the wings were! They really were fresh and fantastic!

(Karen) #60

Just interested as I don’t have any animals … yet lol. What time of the day do you feed your fur babies their OMAD? It sounds very logical to allow them time to digest and will bear it in mind for when I de ide the times right :slightly_smiling_face:

(Karen) #61

Well it would appear i have been slacking :roll_eyes: not been posting my food pic the last couple of days! I think I deleted them as well :astonished:

I was up fairly early yesterday, about 7.30am to make sure I got Raymond to his Dr appt (unrelated to the bad groin strain). I wanted to make sure I got my morning reading done and sat outside with a brew and the alarm set in case I read passed the time I needed to be leaving the house. We were longer than anticipated at the surgery as the Dr wanted Raymond to book another blood test and the receptionist said there was a slot at 11am, 30 mins wait so we stayed and got that done. Took him home and rang my pharmacist to see if they had my meds ready for collection, wasn’t expecting a positive response as I was asked to pick them up in the afternoon and that was still the case so I went home for a brew and brunch … 2 beef burgers. (Only part of one left before remembering to take pick lol

It was a lovely mild day, 18° slightly breezy but fine walking weather and as one of my long list of retirement must do’s/don’t’s of not using the car so much and start a bit of foot power, I decided to walk to the pharmacy.

the meds still weren’t there (I arrived too early) so popped into the cafe and had a brew, then to Boots to check on some old gift cards, one had £8.01 left on it and the other had expired🙄, my bad, so I bought an eyeliner and put the extra £1.94 to it. Then back to pharmacy and the proprietor topped up my propranolol to last till my other meds are due. I need those cos they reduce anxiety and after Saturdays episode …

So I finally got home around 4pm and ate 2 lamb shanks that had been cooking in the slow cooker since about 8.30am. They were really delicious but not quite enough to sustain me so I cooked a portion of fresh chick wings that I had defrosted just in case lol.

Very tender.
2nd one
A mug of shank juice which was diluted with a small cup of water i cooked the shanks in followed by the wings, not sure what spice i put on these ones, it’s a mystery surprise when I have portioned a kilo of wings lol

It’s gone 10.30am and not had brunch yet, just about to put some pork chops into the slow cooker for later so I guess it may be a burger for brunch shortly.

I didn’t have the best sleep last night, I had a bit of RSL when I got into bed and also during the night, may have eaten the chicken too late IDK! However my deep sleep still registered 55 mins though awake time was 2 hours. I can’t grumble though and did think that it was okay I could lay in a bit if I needed but I didn’t really need to.

Now I need to get on with some stuff, it has been raining on and off and so I have sat in my lounge with my brew and books and watered my indoor plants which are growing fast and look quite lush.

Oh and I managed to read everyone’s posts today :grinning:
@Fangs you made me smile when you mentioned eating up the scraps lol I don’t think anyone outside of carnivore would think of chicken and bacon as scraps :laughing: