Carnivore poop question

zerocarb
carnivore
zero-carb-carnivore

@daigo1 did you get any pain relief after this? If yes, might suggest the pain was related to the constipation.

No, the pain is still similar. It comes and goes randomly, and varies between intensity/type of pain (sometimes it is a mild dull aching, sometimes it is a sharp stabbing pain that lasts a second or two [but never longer than a couple seconds before it goes away for sometimes a few weeks before it comes back])

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

My mother was a nurse who was trained before laxatives came on the market as commercial products. Apparently, the notion that a daily bowel movement is a necessity has been trained into us by advertising. It was not the understanding of medical professionals before then.

Mom always said that, while the body did tend to fall into a pattern, there was nothing written in stone about how frequently we needed to move our bowels, and that changes in diet or routine could change our digestive patterns at a moment’s notice. Unless we kids had real trouble moving our bowels, she felt it best to let the body take care of itself.

I can understand skipping 1-2 days especially if we don’t eat a lot or the type that produces much waste but 1-2 weeks? It’s a very long time, we aren’t sloths. I have no idea what is normal but it sounds way too long.

(Laurie) #25

When I was a child and teenager, I went about once a week, and it was a big deal. In high school, our home ec teacher said something about going once a day, and I was very surprised. Who could sit on the toilet for that long every day? In those days we ate lots of meat and potatoes, and bologna and Velveeta and bread, and almost no fruit or vegetables.

Now I’m basically carnivore and I go every day with no problem, and it’s over in a few seconds. The one thing that seems to bung me up is collagen, in the form of either collagen supplement or pork rinds.

When I was keto, I found that fiber bound me up!

I don’t think you said anything about exercise. I wonder if some gentle exercise would help. Google has a few suggestions.

Sorry I have no solutions, daigo1, but maybe something I’ve said can provide a clue.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

You know, I was thinking about this thread while I was sitting in the room where I do a fair amount of thinking, and I suddenly remembered an article I read years ago, in which a guy was boasting that his guru, some yogi from India, was so enlightened and advanced that he only moved his bowel once or twice a month, and his stool was the size of a pea. I guess we gross, materialist eaters of animal flesh can’t aspire to such heights, lol! :grin: :bacon:

Maybe I actually accidentally achieved enlightenment? :thinking:

(Karen) #28

I know when I do my ab exercises i generally need to go afterwards. All the twisting and bending of the colon area must do the trick lol

I learn interesting things here :smiley:
Exercise never seemed to do anything to me. Or my woe I guess except the amount of food. I can’t go 3 times a day on carnivore where I eat so little compared to my carby overeating days :smiley: I always had quick easy ones. Once I read that some people typically need to push :astonished:

There are special stories about gurus. I never heard about their stool before, just that eating is optional for the really cool ones :smiley: Some saints had those rumors too.

(Robin) #30

My regulator is Magnesium Carbonate ( I use Natural Calm). Take a heaping scoop at bedtime. You’ll gurgle and churn for a while, but will be small amounts frequently. Adjust the amount to suit yourself. I like to get cleaned out daily, and a heaping scoop does it. my husband isn’t so fond of the looser still, so he takes less. plus it helps you sleep at night. Good luck. You’ve got this.

If asked about something we don’t know for sure by someone worried about it, I don’t think my answer should be based solely on my personal opinion.

If a grown up person is eating to satiety, what volume of waste does that produce? Are we absolutely sure it is healthy to have that mass accumulating for a month in one’s insides?

To begin with, is it even possible to be “absolutely sure” at all, since even if longterm research had been done about it, there are always outliers?

Gastrointestinal cancers are horrible things. The sooner you catch it, and the polyps before it, the better. Ruptures are also horrible things and demand surgery to clean up.

The OP well, he has pain.

I’d get it checked.

And several carnivores here, including myself, are “regulars”, as in at least once every other day, or so. The OP is an outlier.

@daigo1 Have you had any change in bowel function? I ask because I’m also struggling with figuring out how to be more regular and “normal” (types 3 or 4 on your scale) on keto and/or carnivore. I am in utter awe of those of you who seem to have never had to deal with the discomfort of irregularity. For me, it’s been a life struggle - regardless of WOEs— although fiber has helped in the past. My best guess is that the root cause is a messed up microbiome. Probiotics sometimes help but not reliably. I discovered coffee later in life but now even that is not reliable (though still my best bet!) My latest experiment is to omit collagen in my coffee based on @islandlight ‘s observation!

yea guys gut issues are so varied for so many of us.

I am a cast iron gut type person :slight_smile: and I didn’t fight alot of gut issues to extremes when changing over but then again, I came from a few years of regulating my gut on extreme low carb into carnivore, so I was kinda right there anyway with a little more healing time under my belt.

but some fight big gut issues and that is ‘them’…we can’t be them, give them our better gut health etc…they have to walk their healing path.

time on carnivore heals and changes but we have to address serious symptom issues that are personal to us and everyone can do just that, but we can’t ever forget ‘real medical issues’ effecting someone can come into play here. It is never ALL about what we eat sometimes, it truly can be real life serious medical issues that can be forming or happening to some people at their particular time in life…so…just some of my thoughts on it :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

Well, let’s pick this apart a little. For one thing, we know that most people eating a plant-free diet produce much less waste than they did on the standard American diet, and that they eliminate much less frequently. We should probably poll our carnivore members to get a notion of just how frequently they move their bowels.

For another thing, you appear to be assuming that the residue of a meat-only diet is toxic. On what do you base this assumption?

Remember that agricultural foods have been part of the human diet for no more that 0.6% of our evolutionary history. Laxatives, stool softeners, and fibre supplements have been available for no more than 0.005% of our history at the very most.

So it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the residue of plant foods might well pose problems for the digestive system. But given that our ancestors managed to thrive on an almost exclusively meat diet for the 1,988,000 years before the invention of agriculture, it is highly unlikely that they were regularly dropping dead of bowel cancer on that diet.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but given the shorter life expectancy of early humans, would we ever get a chance to find out? Most cancers take decades to develop.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

The shorter life expentancy you mention is an average lifespan in the face of mortality from infectious disease.

Remember that for much of the history of the race, we were defenceless against such diseases as measles, rubella, typhus, typhoid, diphtheria, dysentery, malaria, and so forth. Individuals who made it to adulthood and who didn’t suffer a fatal injury (whether the injury was directly fatal or led to a fatal infection) usually led lives that would be considered reasonable even today. For example, before adopting the white man’s diet, the Plains tribespeople of the midwestern U.S. who survived to adulthood routinely lived into their nineties and hundreds.

The concept of a vaccine wasn’t known until the 18th century, and we didn’t have vaccines for any disease other than smallpox until the late 19th/early 20th century. It wasn’t until just before World War II that we had such things as antibiotics. This is why getting cut or coming down with a fever were momentous events with potentially fatal consequences in 18th-century novels, and why consumption (tuberculosis) featured in so many 19th-century novels.

so true, but heck a common toothache that would ascess could kill a person fairly quickly. A cut just that goes septic and back in those days, a cut was a deadly issue. We didn’t even have to get into infectious diseases LOL

No question infectious agents and injuries were major causes of premature death even in recent human history, but my point is that you are not going to be identifying many cancer cases if you can’t follow people into their 50s, 60s and 70s – regardless of the reason.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

And my point was that people did live that long—some of them—and they had remarkably few cancers. The fact that the average life expectancy was low did not mean that people could not live long lives. If you go into any reasonably old cemetery, you will see plenty of graves of people who died in infancy or childhood, but you will also see plenty of graves of people who lived into their seventies.

yea, sure agree. good old George Washington died at 67. No great meds back then and he went a long way :slight_smile: just a guy who made it and while not ‘way back then’ like you said, many died alot older for sure. Not everyone was croaking out at 40 back in the day HAHA