Carnivore on budget?

(Elizabeth ) #21

This is a Carnivore thread not keto, we don’t eat veggies :grin:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

I’m curious - I’ve had plenty of days my whole life where I ate nothing but meat for a period of time. But nothing well thought out. Do most carnivores tend to do TMAD? Can somewhere share a sample day/week? Also, does carnivore tend to take you over the protein limit? (I would imagine yes, if macros are not calculated).

(Elizabeth ) #23

Go to the zero carb health website everything has answers there… And there is no" going over" protein on carnivore of you manage to overeat you’ll be full longer that’s all

(@Insulin_Resistant) #24

I have had luck keeping an eye out for chicken quarters (thigh and leg). They are often available very cheap because the breast is more desirable to many . . . the quarters are much, much cheaper. Also a big bag of frozen chicken wings is usually fairly cheap.

(TJ Borden) #25

Like @Elizedge said, there really isn’t a concern about “going over”. I don’t track it at all. That’s part of what drove me to carnivore, I’m lazy and don’t want to count ANYTHING, well that, and it’s just fun to get a rise out of my vegan friends.

I just eat when I’m hungry. That usually works out to one or two meals a day. Rarely outside of an 8 hour window.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #26

Thanks

(Elizabeth ) #27

(Empress of the Unexpected) #28

Thanks!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #29

I don’t own a ketone blood monitor so I have no idea what my levels are anyway. May purchase one in the future.

(Not a cow) #30

I am doing ZC but have only been at it for a week now, but eating OMAD, which is extremely cheap, obviously depending on what and how much you eat. I have my meals in the evening after work around 4:30 and typically eat, 2 eggs, 2 strips of bacon and either 6 ounces of ribeye, or a pound of medium fatty ground beef. I almost always add an egg or two and a strip of bacon or two. Last night I had about 8-10 ounces of salmon, with some sour cream and two chicken thighs. I have chicken thighs, cooked hamburgers and cooked bacon in the fridge waiting just in case I need to add a side to anything I eat. I don’t think I am eating a lot of food, but it still carries me through to the next evening’s meal. I am amazed, as I was eating much more on low carb keto.

(Elizabeth ) #31

the amount of food you’re eating is not going to be sustainable in the long run, if you’re trying to lose weight you can do that on a cabbage soup diet. You are guaranteed to have health issues with this little food. In the short run you might be fine. But in the long run this is not going to be suitable at that low-level.

(Elizabeth ) #32

http://www.zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2017/09/03/your-zero-carb-diet-recommendations-sound-like-too-much-food/. 10 year veteran

(Ashley) #33

I’m switching over to OMAD and I think it’ll be full carnivore. 1lb of ground beef is around 1400cals with like 120g fat and 75-80p. Sound easy. That is for the 73/23 I get which calories can slightly very. But I don’t plan on counting. Just relazing how easy keto can be.

(Not a cow) #34

Thanks Elizedge, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m pretty full after eating dinner, and I get a little hungry around 2 in the afternoon, but I have been able to push through it by drinking a glass or two of water. It’s been going really well, I feel very clear and energetic through the morning without breakfast, and I could add another meal at lunch I guess, but so far I’m enjoying it. I’ll definitely eat enough at dinner to fill myself, that I can be sure of, as I’m no slouch at eating more than my fill. For some reason I’m not needing that extra that I usually need to get me through the day, and to control my need for junk food. I’ll see how it goes through the second and third week, as i’m sure you are right. ( Cabbage soup , haha, yuckkkkkk )

(Chris) #35

Charles Washington was on the HPO podcast saying that he doesn’t believe you can overeat on a carnivore diet. The more you eat, it just means the longer until you are hungry again. I think there is some truth to that. especially once you’ve been carnivore for awhile.

Eat as much as you can when you eat. If you feel like you need to lean up, use a leaner cut ala modified PSMF conditions.

(Elizabeth ) #36

You should never push through anything if you’re hungry you should eat. There are tiny women in our group that eat five pounds of meat a day and don’t gain weight. You got to eat more

(Elizabeth ) #37

if you’re counting macros then you are measuring and there’s a mental state that you have to get to with zero carb that you can’t if you’re being so precise. Every veteran an admin that has been successful long-term on this diet says you have to start even if you’re tiny with about 2 pounds of meat a day. And that’s before bacon eggs and cheese. That’s just meat.

(Ashley) #38

II’m not measuring because I’m eating a “certain amount” I just have myfitness pal and it did it for me, so I noticed the numbers, I was just making the statement that fat isn’t needed outside of meat because ground beef is a great protein to fat to meat ratio, I don’t count, I just eat til I’m full. I just noticed the macros. I’ve never counted. I was just making the statement so people notice extra fat outside of fatty meat isn’t needed, which I was under the impression when I first started back in March I needed to load on fat.

(TJ Borden) #39

That’s one of the sexiest things I’ve ever read on this forum :smile:

(Brian) #40

Actually the thread is relevant to those of us who aren’t carnivore. Us omnivores sometimes have limited resources, too, and they can get stretched. Good quality meats aren’t always cheap and are almost always more expensive than the cheap carbs we used to be able to load our shopping carts with.