Carnivore on budget?

Is it possible to go carnivore on budget? I am poor,I never bought single piece of grass fed/free range meat,dairy or eggs in my life becose I cant afford it :disappointed:

Is it possible to just eat cheap normal supermarket meat instead of free range grass fed? Also,is it possible to eat mainly pork & chicken instead of beef?

Even normal beef I cant afford if its not discounted.

(TJ Borden) #2

You donā€™t need grass fed beef. Iā€™ll sometimes treat myself to a nice grass fed ribeye, but I mostly buy ground beef and pork sausage. They are generally pretty cheap, and higher in fat percentage compared to regular cuts of meat.

Chicken isnā€™t bad. Dark meat is best, and cheaper since the highest demand is for chicken breast. When I buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco I eat the skin and all the dark meat, and the breast goes to the dogs.

Depending on your pre-keto diet, keto will almost certainly seem like youā€™re spending more on food. For me, Iā€™ve defiantly noticed my Costco runs are running a bit spendier and more frequent, plus a couple trips a month to the butcher that didnā€™t exist before. BUT, Iā€™m also saving a fortune not hitting a drive through window twice a day. $10-15 a trip adds up quick but is a low enough amount to not really register when balancing the check book, especially compared to a $300 Costco run.

But again, that $300 costco run is once a month. $300 at drive through would happen every couple weeks.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Yes. You will find many who will swear by grass feed free range ā€¦ but I think most would agree that given the alternative of cheap carb loaded food, regular supermarket eggs and meat is much better.
And good news is the cheaper cuts of meats tend to be the fattiest. You donā€™t need to do chicken, but if you do, go for thighs. They are higher in fat than breast meat. And keep the skins on.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

My grocery bill definately went up the first few weeks. Stocking up on coconut oil, alvacodo oil and items I donā€™t typically keep on hand took a big hit to the grocery budget. But now that my pantry is well stocked with Keto fair, I actually think my grocery bill has gone down below pre-Keto. I think cooking so much more myself helps vs paying for convienience type foods that can be expensive. And thatā€™s not even counting the fast foods and restaurant meals.

Though I should buy stock in bacon. Definately worth buying in bulk.

But even if the bill drops, the time cost goes up though.(the time cost on shopping and cooking)

(TJ Borden) #6

I thought that at first too, and in comparison to swinging through a drive through on the way home, sure. In comparison to going to a restaurant, I think itā€™s actually less time. Most keto meals (once youā€™re past the phase of fancy and complicated recreations of carby meals) are pretty fast and easy.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

But the longer life you gain from a better WOE offers you more time currency to spend.:wink:

Hehā€¦ But currently, the time is not enough. Unless one can invent the way to take the futureā€™s time for nowā€™s usage, just like the credit card. =.=

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

I was just kidding anyway.

I do often buy veggies already chopped up just to save myself time. Especially in the clean up department. I even found riced cauliflower in the produce section.

Itā€™s much more expensive than just buying a whole onion or head of broccoli or cauliflower, but it saves me on food prep burn out. And thereā€™s typically less waste.

I was also just messing around with your joke. Heh.

Nice though.

Cleaning is the real pain in the ass.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

It may seem more expensive in the beginning but technically if you get to the stage when you are fat adapted and extended fasting for one week out of the month or even a few days that can add up to almost 3 months of not eating per year. Now thatā€™s a big save. Not sure what your goals are but itā€™s something to think about.

(Genevieve Biggs) #12

I eat ground beef from restaurant supply for about $2/lb and brisket for $3/lb. I eat about 2lbs a day, so thatā€™s $40-60 per week depending on what cuts I eat. Many ZC veterans also eat fastfood patties on the road or even regularly. No need for fancy meats. Cheapest way Iā€™ve ever eaten.

ZC 16 months

(Elizabeth ) #13

What do you think about pork vs beef? In my country,pork is half the cost of beef.
I see all the carno people eat tons of beef,but that isnt realistic for me at this point.

In what nutrients is beef superior to pork? Would I become ill/vitamim deficient eating mostly pork? I also eat cheese,eggs and chicken liver and fat fish.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #15

Pork bellyā€¦ yummmmmm.:yum:

(Elizabeth ) #16

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s Superior other than I think potassium? But Charles Washington who has been eating over 10 years zero carb eats almost exclusively pork. I believe he is an ultra athlete as well.

(Genevieve Biggs) #17

Itā€™s individual. Some people donā€™t feel as nourished while eating pork.

My theory, is this is because cows are herbivore while pigs are omnivores. We NEED the nutrients from plants but we donā€™t have the means to digest them. Herbivores do. By eating herbivores, we get those nutrients. But we donā€™t need other animals to digest meat for us. We are perfectly capable of that. So omnivores provide less plant nutrients for us, and so they are a less ideal meat choice.

However, if eating mostly pork and chicken is best for your budget, then eat that way. You will probably need to eat more of it because it is less satisfying. I would then encourage you to include as much beef as you can afford within your budget. But donā€™t worry abot organic or grassfed or whatever. Keep calm. Eat meat. :sunglasses::meat_on_bone::poultry_leg:

Regarding the beef/pork/chicken thing, I actually donā€™t mind at all, but my family doesnā€™t like beef due to religious reason(partially. It is only my father, actually. But other members also donā€™t have the habit to eat beef due to that)

So in the end, I cannot cook anything that has beef
Or I should say, it is not really ā€œcannotā€, but the smell will make them ask this and that, and because we do have those kinds of charms from those religious temple, it would be better not to eat beef.

Just better not to, not prohibited to.

but well, letā€™s be respectful to the religious bosses (read: god) and donā€™t cook the beef when we have the charms around.

So yeah, this is the awkward situation that I have. So if I want beef, I can only get it when I eat outside.

(Sondra Rose) #19

I think pork is great, especially pork belly!

I eat mostly grass-finished ground beef from our University Meat department. Itā€™s $5 a pound.

I cook it in leftover bacon fat. I eat almost a pound of meat a day, so my grocery bill is about $150 a month.

When I switched to carnivore from keto, the household food bills dropped quite a bit. I was surprised, but pleased.

As for pork versus beefā€¦ I have to confess that I have rather gone off beef lately. Too much of it, maybe? I do like variety. So now I am eating a bit more pork and have reintroduced chicken (which I usually eat in a cream or cheese sauce, to boost the fat macro).

As with everything, a lot of it has to do with the cut of the meat and the fat content affecting the price. Fortunately, I want the fat, so the cheap cuts and the whole chickens, are better for price than the lean expensive cuts.