Carnivore… More crazy benefits

(Robin) #1

Interesting. I have had migraine auras for years. No headache, luckily. Had them every couple of weeks. I just realized I haven’t had one in a looong time.
I swear I am seeing some of the “too-good-to-be-true” effects from just 3 - 6 months CARNIVORE. (It’s hard to estimate… it was such a natural transition.)

I rarely have cheese or eggs, but still have my heavy cream with coffee. Otherwise, all meat, all the time. Crazy, man! I have not been needing my year round allergy meds, and I no longer have inner ear dizziness. What is this awesomeness?

I think weight has remained steady. Maybe a pound or 2 down, but I’m not looking for more. I’ll take it, but am a happy camper right here right now.

(John) #2

I’m jealous!!

But seriously. Congratulations on your perseverance and getting yourself feeling so much better.
There are a few of us here hoping for the same one day.

(Robin) #3

Thanks! I wouldn’t change how I got here. Keto served me we well for at least a year. As I started eliminating foods, it became easier to identify which food gave me problems… like veggies. Stopped them and stopped my diverticulitis. (As always, that’s just me.)
But tonight while walking the dog, i suddenly was jogging the dog. He was as surprised as me. I’m not sure I should jog as I have arthritic knees… in theory.

I need to get another X-ray of knees and hips. it will be interesting to know if it shows a difference. Maybe it’s simply the absence of inflammation. I don’t really care what’s happening… I feel so good and no aches or pains. At 67, I’m relieved to be reversing a lot of the damage my previous lifestyle (the whole shebang) caused.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

Congrats! Funny, I just noticed a NSV, myself: I used to have large pores on my nose but they’re all smooth and closed now. I guess the processed oils detox has run its course. Never again.

WOW R what a fantastic post.
my hubby has that aura thing with his eyes also so I know first hand just how nasty that can go down for someone, I am sure you definitely don’t miss that issue!!!

and surprised the dog by jogging a bit…omg that is fab – it took you and pooch by surprise too, I loved reading that.

I second what you said about your walk into zc. I walked in from general low carb, into Atkins, into Keto plan for a very short stint and straight into carnivore. I think for me that walk was important, I learned so much thru each of those plans as I learned easily how carbs effected me as I dumped them. My walk into zc was one of the easier ones too and it seems so many of us do come from the carb ladder decline walk. Not many can tackle SAD into ZC, it is a huge change that I don’t think even I could have handled. That lower carb walk got so many of us here for sure :slight_smile:

Happy for you!

(Robin) #6

Keep in mind, it’s been 20 months. That would have sounded like a long time when I began. But the #1 reason I hung in there was that once I lost the carbs, I lost the cravings.

As a former addict (cigs and alcohol) the absence of cravings is HUGE.
Anyway, you’ll get there too. And I’ll be reading about your miraculous discoveries. You got this.

(Robin) #7

Thanks. We are similar in how we got here. I should start keeping a list of improvements. I know there are others that I didn’t mention. So many that it would sound like false advertising!

I am you on this. I am a control type personality and an obsessive and addictive one also, so I know point blank those benefits of cravings gone is a massive benefit for us to move forward. It was the biggest stumbling block to me, cravings! Once gone, omg what a great life eating all I want and thriving. darn win win for sure :wink:

that also is why I know I can never go back…like so many can walk back a ‘tad’, for me it is a tad of a monster disaster waiting to pounce.

(Robin) #9

Yep. You get it. A tad of a monster is still deadly!

(Judy Thompson) #10

Yep only 49 days Carni here and still dealing with the digestive issues but off 2 of my 3 prescription meds, stopped the turmeric (wondered if it might be contributing) and all vitamins except D, and sleeping like a baby through the night now.
Hubby woke up with sore muscles and a headache, I wish he’d listen to me! LOL

(Robin) #11

Did you take turmeric in a pill? Those bothered me, but I add it as a spice to most meats now and no issues.

(John) #12

It sounds like a life time to me. I am only 2 months in and I am dying here! Roll on 20th month - I can’t wait.

(Judy Thompson) #13

I have been taking turmeric and Boswellia for pain every night but with the big D I’m constantly looking for ways to streamline and cut any source of irritation or aggravation to my digestive tract. Since they’re plant based, I have cut them out (at least temporarily).

(Judy Thompson) #14

Me too, day 49 here.

Me too. Never went beyond 2 weeks… Oh well. We all have our circumstances and different experience, I can’t do strict carnivore for long and I don’t even think it is needed for me. Just staying close :slight_smile: That’s nice and I can do it. Most of the time.

I have no problems on carnivore except the boredom but I can’t handle that. I don’t expect joy all the time despite being a food obsessed hedonist but when I gag when trying to eat meat or another egg, that’s a problem. Maybe later I can do longer periods. I don’t care, I just want to chill. I still didn’t find my sweet spot where I can chill for LONG. It’s super good sometimes, for multiple days… And then something go wrong a bit.

I don’t have magical positive changes (beyond improved relationship with food, I mean I am not as obsessed about food ALL the time… I thought it was due to me having too much time to read and think and experiment but nope, my woe change affected it drastically. satiation is nicer and easier as I have better items, it’s so cool) as I was pretty healthy even on high-carb. I think I get a tad more energy but that one doesn’t come right away like all the other benefits did and I am still unsure. But it seems I have a bit more now. Keto definitely didn’t help anything with it or anything else except nicer hunger after fat adaptation.

I would do A LOT for energy and mood to do things.
Even more for health but my health is good enough anyway (well nope I wish for PERFECT health and I don’t have that but I am not sickly and don’t even have a doctor let alone to go to them ever).

I am sorry writing into carni threads despite not being able to do it properly… But good enough for me. And these threads help me to stay motivated…? But it sounds like I have any option to eat really carby. Nope, I can’t do that. But I can stay closer or farther and I prefer closer :slight_smile:

(John) #16

Yep. I have to agree, though I am sure that I will be chastised for saying so.

I am afraid that I am eating far too little. But this is for several reasons. I don’t feel hungry, and I can’t face another lump of meat, or eggs and bacon etc etc. I want to eat but the desire is just not there on this diet which is becoming problematic.

(John) #17

Wouldn’t we all. I guess that we must just be patient as people here assure us that one day, we too will feel the benefits, and be thankful that we stuck it out.

I still eat too much to lose though I may start to get the hang of it now. Boredom, lack of hunger and appetite doesn’t help when I still feel the need to eat… I don’t overeat on carnivore, it’s something, I hate being wasteful.
But not eating just because I dislike all food in existence? I can’t do that when I NEED to eat. I eventually find something bearable… But it’s tiresome to live like that for too long. So I rather go off. It’s harder now as I don’t desire carbs either. But I still have options, at least if I stray away a bit. A very little bit as I usually eat heavily egg based dishes then. Eggs are awesome, I just get bored of normal honest egg dishes, I always can eat something else using eggs…
And I eat processed meat primarily to survive the needed breaks in my normal meaty days (when I eat roasts and life is good eating wise but I can’t do that for too long). And there are organs. So I have options but it’s still not as easy as it seems.

glad you stopped that!!

Common side effects of tumeric may include:

• nausea, upset stomach;
  • diarrhea; or
  • dizziness.

it is recommended all supps be stopped when coming into carnivore. that way you have walked into it with a true elimination value to start.

feel for hubby :slight_smile: old days when I was a carby I woke up with that stiffness in the ol’ joints, omg it was annoying, no joint pain is so worth eating a big old steak or rack of ribs :clown_face:

(Judy Thompson) #20

Good. I really don’t have the pain or stiffness I had before, don’t even take the rx drugs except the muscle relaxant at night as it might help with sleep. So turmeric is just a risk factor.

This morning I crisped one of the cheese wraps to munch on during an online meeting and it wasn’t as good as it used to be. My tastes are changing. Hopefully for the better?
This afternoon I cooked up a lb of chicken livers, put about 2/3 of that in the air fryer covered with cheddar cheese. Pretty yummy meal and I finished it. It was almost gone by the time I took a pic.
@Ketodaisy glad to see you! I missed your posts.
@Shinita and @Jesty sometimes I’m choking my food down too and sometimes I’m so hungry and and can’t imagine what might satiate me. But I believe now in retrospect that I’ve had digestive problems almost since birth - caused 100% by diet and ignorant doctors and parents. I’m interested in being a healthy old lady with a healthy mind someday, not crazy like Mom or crippled and blind like Dad - all of that caused by their diets. I don’t know if this is the conclusive answer but along my path it’s the next thing. My body is one big controlled experiment, lol, and if I don’t stick with the controls I won’t know that the results are genuine.