Carnivore "Condiments" and Toppings List

If you have an additions to these, comment them.

Baconnaise (mayonnaise made using bacon grease and eggs)
Blue cheese dressing (made with baconnaise + blue cheese + heavy cream)
Butter
Salt (of course)
Fish Sauce (made from salty fermented fish)
A raw egg yolk

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Smoked salt
Smoked blue cheese

(Susan) #3

EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, drizzled on top, and/or cooked in it as well =).

(Marianne) #4

Yum! How do you make this?

(Elizabeth ) #5

http://www.zerocarbhealth.com/?s=Non+optimal

(Elizabeth ) #6

some people are very sensitive to any plant material they canā€™t even use pepper so this might not be a first choice for some :slight_smile:

(Susan) #7

I hate all spices and never use any; it was just one of the ideas =). Blue Cheese, bacon grease, make me gagā€¦ eww. everyone has some foods that they hate and avoid, and/or are allergic to. The point was ideas people might use, not that it works for everyone. I try to avoid eating eggs, bacon, red meat and pork as much as possible personally.

My daughter is severely allergic to many foods, and has to carry an Epipen all the time. It makes me worried, even though she is 25, I always worryā€¦

You could also make mayonnaise with butter

Iā€™m one of those pepper people, but I didnā€™t know it until after I tried carnivore. I think people should avoid all plant foods for 30 days when they try it, even if they think they donā€™t have a problem with plants, because Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one this has happened to. I never thought I was a sensitive eater, just a picky one.

When I did my carnivore trial a while back, I included herbs & spices. A few months after that I learned I canā€™t tolerate some herbs and most spices very well as they trigger my heartburn to come back. Certain dairy also triggers it. It used to be a big problem for me, so now I avoid them and I donā€™t have to take medication for it anymore, which was awful because I shouldnā€™t have to take medication as a teenager, or really at any age.

I used to try and shove vegetables down my throat even though I thought they were gross for 10+ years, then I made myself slowly like them more after lots of exposure, because ā€œthey are good for you!ā€ butā€¦ 90% of themā€¦ they make my body do a lot of gross and uncomfortable things. I would gobble down cheese by the pound and gag at most fruits (besides the berries in our backyard) and vegetables when I was younger, maybe I was on to something.

After eating a largely animal based diet for around a year and a half now, Iā€™m starting to like the herbs and spices I once loved a lot less, and usually lean towards just salt now. Meat wins over vegetables. Also, added fats like duck fat and butter are quite flavorful, as is reduced bone broth that can be made into a sort of gravy.

(Marianne) #9

Thank you! We save all our bacon fat - I am making some bacon mayo today.

Older thread but will chat up on it :slight_smile:

Baconnaiseā€¦ā€¦I thought many didnā€™t know about it LOL
well true Carnivores know! I like this stuff and make it also.

Being a carnivore thread this doesnā€™t fit at all. A carnivore wouldnā€™t touch olive oil for nothing. :slight_smile:
All plant oils are evilā€¦spoken by many a carnivore LOL

-------In general I use a very low amt of spice or herb mixes. Over the years my tastes have changed dramatically.

for herbs/spices/pepper etc. it is a personal call on all of it. Carnivore plans say this is a non-food item and can be used sparinglyā€¦if it sets well with the user.

Some do very bad on spices etc. Some can tolerate them and do well.

So it is very personal in use. As one uses condiments, etc. you can judge how they react for you and see what you want to keep in your plan and what you will ditch.

Back in the day I used the smallest amt. of fresh minced garlic on my steaks when frying. Even hardcore carnivores told me this was wrong LOL but the old time veterans who have eaten this way for over 15 plus years said to me that a 1/4 of a teaspoon was not considered food and was ok to use if wantedā€¦ā€¦.funny thing is real fast I started to despise that garlic. It tasted SO sweet to me. I dropped it pretty fast in my use. It never bothered me ever for the little I used it but in the end I sure didnā€™t want it anymore. I am so glad it is gone actually. I am heading for a ā€˜hardcoreā€™ stance in my carnivore eating and garlic is just another plant to screw me up :slight_smile: it had to go!

(Bob M) #11

Whatā€™s left to eat? Chicken? Fish?

Iā€™m personally of the opinion that red meat (beef, lamb, though some call pork red meat) is the healthiest meat. Ruminants, that is, is what I call red meat, which leaves out pigs.

Chicken might be the least healthy, due to the amount of PUFAs in them. I still eat chicken, but try to limit the intake of it.

(Susan) #12

Back when I made that post in August 10th I didnā€™t like bacon, now I do! I really donā€™t like red meat a lot, but since I am eating way more meat then anything else now (well more carnivore then back to August 10th) - I eat way more meat now, but that was a bit over 3 months ago.

I have 3 -44 fasts a week atm, and only have to worry about TMAD the other days, so I can add things to the meats to make myself eat them now =). I eat a lot of Bacon, Luncheon meats, and canned chicken, or Salmon mostly for meats now.

(Bob M) #13

With that schedule, you do need some fats. Have you tried liverwurst or bologna? I personally love liverwurst, but itā€™s taste some donā€™t like.

I just listened to a podcast with Petro D. from Hyperlipid, who is the first one to come up with the idea that PUFAs can make you eat more. He admitted that he does not know how much PUFAs you can have.

For me, I try to limit chicken, bacon, pork fat, and the like due to PUFAs. Does it matter? I donā€™t know. I do know that beef (lamb is tough to get here, expensive, etc.) seems to keep me fuller longer. That could be the placebo effect, though.

(Susan) #14

This was yesterdayā€™s food, (I am currently fasting since 5pm last night until Saturday at 1pm):

I am not a Carnivore, but I am currently Dairy free except butter since October 18th and I am trying to do as low carbs as possible, sometimes I am higher, but NEVER over the 20 of course.

I ate a cup of kind of lean grass fed beef (from farmer friends) but I donā€™t like the taste on its own, so I added the butter and avocado mayonnaise to get it down.

---------------so changing this post

(hottie turned hag) #16

All @Momof5 Susanā€™s posts are always germane to the thread in some way, her posts herein are fine.
There are posts aplenty in all threads that donā€™t conform in a strict way to the OP; as long as itā€™s not a massive derail who cares?

I would ask how is YOUR post above productive?

(Susan) #17

The only reason I replied because I was tagged on here - so I was just responding =). I have noticed that there are many carnivores on here that do not do 100% carnivore all the time -like have some HWC or even stuff like chocolate at times (yourself included) so I wasnā€™t aware back when I suggested that over 3 months ago, that EVOO was not in the carnivore list. I know a lot more about what constitutes Carnivore now -I was only clarifying/responding because you made comments about it -not trying to cause any trouble =). I have a lot of carnivore or almost carnivore days.

Personally, I havenā€™t had one bite of chocolate since starting Keto in February because for me that would set me off on binge eating candy. You yourself told me on another thread, that you donā€™t like labels and are carnivore but sometimes eat stuff like the chocolate, so I am not trying to cause anyone to be mad, that is never my intention.

I was offering what I thought was good advice back in August 10 (over 3 months ago) when I suggested the EVOO. Now that I understand Carnivore; and, indeed, Keto, much more now, I would have said Butter or Bacon Drippings probably =).

I understand that you are a Carnivore --I agree with you that you are --However, because you sometimes consume food that is not 100% carnivore, some hard-line Carnivores would freak out at you doing that ā€“ but (as you yourself have stated in other threads) you hate labels, so -not at all to upset you --but I am a Keto person that leans towards doing a high percentage of my foods from Carnivore --but I have never called myself Carnivore. I never will be; but I see lots of people on the forum that are not Carnivore, contributing to these threads, not just myself. I never want to upset anyone, that is not my nature. I apologise if you feel that is what I am doing. I assure you that is not who I am, though.

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #18

I think this is actually very helpful on a thread about what condiments to eat on carnivore. And reading it, I might think ā€˜hmmm, I want to eat beef but I feel it needs something with it, and well actually Iā€™m going to avoid avocado mayonnaise because Iā€™m avoiding any kind of vegetable product, but I like the idea of mayonnaise so Iā€™ll grab me some baconnaise because that fits my own way better.ā€™

We all have our own interpretations of what is this and what is that. And thatā€™s to the power of good!

So I think @Momof5ā€™s post is very useful right here where it is on this thread, and itā€™s good to be inspired by so many different influences and factors.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m here on this lovely forum anyway!

:slightly_smiling_face:

(Also not carnivore. But looking into it with interest.)

(hottie turned hag) #19

Girl please, you most definitely owe no apology for that post. Donā€™t even.

(Elizabeth ) #20