Carnivore after 3 weeks, getting worse. Need help

(Randy Ward) #21

Thank you. The chart and summary are very insightful. I appreciate the extra mile you went to share that with me. I wish you and your wife a steady journey to good health.

(Bob M) #22

I wonder if giving blood would help lower heavy metals? I searched for this, but found nothing.

Excellent chart, by the way. As one engineer to another, it’s great to see that.

(Betsy) #23

Have you been checked for thiamine and pantothenic acid deficiencies?

(Randy Ward) #24

I’ve been taking b100 complex supplement for years because I have Mitochondrial Myopathy. While I haven’t had those two tested recently, I did have my folate tested and it was way above reference range. I would think the rest of my Bs are pretty high as well.

(Betsy) #25

B100 is good.

What is your genetic predisposition to mitochondrial myopathy?

(Randy Ward) #26

Do you mean what type? I have genetic deletions as shown in nuclear gene testing from Children’s Hospital. The results were of unknown significance and they were unable to identify the actual type. This was 10 years ago and the process at the time was newly developed. I’m currently in another free genetic testing through the official mitochondrial organization. I’m hoping the newer developments in mito testing will reveal more details. Currently I take a mito cocktail of supplements: Levocarnatine 1300 mg/day, ubiquenol 200 mg/day, B100 complex, Vit C, Vit D.

(Betsy) #27

Good luck, I hope they figure something out for you.

How are you doing today? Are you seeing any improvement from keto?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

I take it these are deletions in your mitochondrial DNA, not in your nuclear DNA?

I never thought about this before, but how do they distinguish between our mitochondrial and our nuclear DNA when doing a gene analysis? Do you know, by any chance? I’ve read a couple of Brian Sykes’s books, and I can’t recall if he ever said, just that the two types are very different.

(Randy Ward) #29

Thanks. I am on day 18 of Carnivore diet. My dizziness and brain fog have all but disappeared. Yesterday I was in a situation where my anxiety would have been going bonkers and I would have been like a cat crawling up the wall, but I was markedly calm about it all. The burning on my outer thighs have eased up a little bit and I’ve been able to sleep more often. My bloating (and associated arrhythmia) is about the same. I’ve lost about 6 lbs. I’ve also noticed that while I feel I’ve got a bit more energy over all, my leg muscles feel weak. My legs is where I usually feel the effects of my mitochondrial issues first along with cognitive. So yeah, feeling a bit better.

(Randy Ward) #30

I don’t know exactly what the difference is. I just remember the testing was something like nuclear mitome gene testing. As an adult Childrens would only see me once and they footed the bill for the gene testing (it was of their own design) which cost 11k. Only got the results by lab results and phone. They told me to go back to University of Washington with the results so they could counsel and help me further. For some crazy reason UW refused to believe the results of the test and told me I needed psychological counseling instead. Every medical interaction I’ve had with UW was a disaster. If something doesn’t fit in their box, then it must be a psychological problem.

So I didn’t get the help I needed after the genetic testing. Childrens told me to start using the mitocondrial cocktail supplements regimen. It wasn’t until a few years later that I found a neurologist who took things seriously and found another medication to help with my PNKD that the test also said I had.

(Edith) #31

This is also typical of the fat adaptation period. Until your muscles learn to use their new fuel source they will feel like lead. Improvement is gradual. Over time, your legs will feel less and less lead-like. It can take 6-8 weeks to start noticing improvements, but that is for people without mitochondrial disfunction. You will be different. Maybe longer. I am glad to hear that you are noticing other improvements.

I developed polyarthritis as an adverse reaction after a mandatory mRNA vaccination, and can totally empathise with the tiredness and inability to rest or sleep as each movement adjustment in bed was a pain instigator. Some heart palpitations and an episode of atrial fibrillation along the way that was dealt with by adjusting electrolytes and magnesium citrate. I went from keto to carnivore, have a box full, and almost a gut full, of antioxidants, probiotics, ionophores and supplements, and have joined a CBD oil medical trial. I had improvements weekly and then work mandates forced me to have a booster to meet admin directives. All healing gains went backward for a fortnight but bounce back recovery was even more rapid. Carnivore plan as the base. Up until the inoculation I was keto and keto-carnivore for a few years and feeling good and healthy. That medical induced ill health experience (n=1) started in August 2021. After 8 months of staying on plan the pain and other reduced health side effects have gone. :joy: the local powers have mandated a third injection. I can postpone it until April, but I am not keen on batting up for a third swing at modern medicine. The pitcher keeps throwing me bean balls.

We hear you in this forum Randy. Thanks for sharing your story and experience. I am sure it will help others who are reading as we work, and sometimes teeth gritted battle our way through challenges. Let us know your every day wins.

I wanted to add a tip that I drink my carnivore electrolytes in salty beef bone broth, which I find nourishing and comforting.

(Randy Ward) #33

Wow. My wife is a nurse for the VA and we have been solidly in the no vaccine camp. She’s had a lot of horror stories concerning it. They are still trying to force her to get the jab. Federal postponed dealing with those who objected. But now they are starting to deal with them. I’m not sure how much longer my wife will have her job. The real sick thing about it is that she teleworks from home 4 days a week. I’m sorry you are in a job that you feel you must take the vax. I value nothing over my health other than my children. No amount of money is worth taking what little health I have from me. I hope all goes well for you and you suffer no more ill effects from any future booster (ad infinitum).

Thanks Randy. It’s interesting. I took the first shot as a good citizen. Then joined the minority of adversely affected people. I learned a lot more about immunology and dietary therapy of inflammation than the norm, and more than my general practitioner as well, it seems. I work at a University. A place where one might think critical thinking and questioning things might be encouraged. But our world seems ruled by bean counters. I went right to the edge of quitting work for the second hit. But I do love teaching young people so much, I took a calculated risk at harming myself again. It is reminiscent of my college student days where harm was often balanced against what seemed like fun. The underlying story here is that with a ketocarnivore base diet, I seem to have some good resilience, and hopefully some healing attributes to minimise permanent damage.

If you are interested in a therapeutic ketogenic diet then I would direct you toward looking into the Palaeolithic Ketogenic Diet. You can search it on these forums and find links to interesting podcasts. It will increase your knowledge base, and in doing so, your sense of hope.

An interesting science podcast for nurses to listen to, if they want.

(Todd Allen) #35

A blood donation is typically less than 10% of ones total blood volume so it would be a modest effect although regular donations could cumulatively make some difference especially for a metal such as iron where much of it resides in the blood. For a metal such as lead where most of it gets stored in bones and fat the impact would be much less.

(Randy Ward) #36

This week I really thought I was turning the corner as several of my big issues were getting better. However, the last couple days have been rough. My resting heart rate has increased by nearly 15-20 points and my heart rate shoots up more than it should with light to moderate exercise (walking, pushups). Dizziness returned last night and this morning along with some brain fog. Also experiencing a little shortness of breath. Oxygen sats seem fine 95-99%. I’ve been upping my magnesium and potassium in response. If there is one thing that will make me get off this ride fast, it’s when my heart starts having issues. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road. I’ll give it a little more time. I really want to at least do a month on carnivore before deciding to make any adjustments like going to ketovore or keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Is there any chance that you might be hypovolaemic? Phinney and Volek have found that athletes in their studies avoided the symptoms you mention by having a cup of bone broth about 45 minutes before exercising. The liquid and the salt help bring up the blood volume, so the heart doesn’t need to work as hard.

(Randy Ward) #38

So, drink more water? I’ll keep the bone broth trick in mind for when I start exercising again.

Thanks

(Edith) #39

So … I can’t remember if you mentioned how much salt you are taking in. I found for my first years on keto and carnivore, I had a very high salt need. In addition to what was in and on my food, I also needed to supplement an extra 2 teaspoons of salt per day. ( Actually, two teaspoons of my salt mix which is 3 parts Himalayan salt to 1 part No Salt.) Without that extra salt, I would get heart palpitations, blood pressure would dip too low, and I would get muscle cramps.

Maybe you need more sodium?

(Randy Ward) #40

I freaked out today because of my high heart rate. Like I said, that’s the one thing that will cause me to abandon plans. I got really anxious about it which didn’t help and thought I couldn’t do a zero carb diet and ended up eating two triscuits and two strawberries. I was so angry with my self that I was in tears. I’m fighting so hard for other health issues. I also drank several glasses of salted water. I’m feeling a little better now and wish I hadn’t freaked out and grabbed some carbs. I’m thinking you are probably correct on the salt thing. I was trying not to go nuts with salt before because I think it makes my tinnitus and pulsitile tinnitus worse. I’ve even seen videos of carnivores that don’t use any salt from day one, so I thought maybe I could just salt my meat to taste and be good. Ughhh. Why is everything so damn complicated when you get older?