Carnivore 2 week Challenge with Thomas DeLauer

challenge

(Troy) #1

Maybe a starting point or motivation for others to try ZC…

Enjoy

(Elizabeth ) #2

I’m concerned about the two-week time frame, most people don’t even get through adaptation in 30 days, I know coming from very strict keto it took me 6 weeks before I felt good. And if a lot of people start this and only go two weeks it may have a very negative backlash on carnivore.

(Chris) #3

I have a feeling this is just fan service, I’m certain a large amount of his fanbase must have been begging for a video on this.

Here’s the thing, carnivore goes against a SHITLOAD of his videos that are advocating for certain super greens.

Anyone watching, you need to try it for longer than two weeks to properly adapt. The top post on the site in my profile has a list of tips for newbies, including the suggested length of time for a trial of this diet. Two weeks you might as well not bother, and that’s not to be exclusive or disparaging in any way, it’s the truth.

With all that being said, I’ll watch the videos and see what happens.

I’m on round two with carnivore and it’s going better this time around but I’m already past two weeks and don’t think I’m fully settled in.

(Alec) #5

He doesn’t support eating the fattier cuts of meat?? What’s that about??

He annoyed me again. :rage:

(Robert C) #7

But, he does support ButcherBox cuts of meat.

(Allie) #8

Unless they’re grass fed and organic. He advises people who cannot afford grass fed / organic to buy leaner cuts of meat and add their own fats to it to make sure they’re getting the best quality fats available to them. I know this from listening to a multitude of his videos in the past.

(Chris) #9

Which fats is he suggesting to add??

(Allie) #10

Grass fed butter, ghee, coconut oil as I recall. Back when Thomas DeLauer first appeared he was focused on anti-inflammatory diets which is how he found keto and is against the fats found in cheaper meats as he believes them to be poor quality and inflammatory. He’s very much in favour of good quality fats which is why he supports Butcher Box.

Edit to add that he’s also mentioned adding lard and tallow but stresses the need for grass fed / organic.

(Chris) #11

So he’s advocating dairy? It’s pretty inflammatory for most of us and leads to weight gain.

Then there’s coconut oil. I’ve had salycilate poisoning before and it’s pretty crazy. Wouldn’t touch the stuff.

I’d love to see where his info on conventional beef fat being inflammatory.

(Allie) #12

No he actually avoids most dairy, but does recommend grass fed butter & ghee.

(Chris) #13

I’m guessing his reasoning is that grain finished beef is higher in omega 6 than grass finished. But a cursory review of data would show him that the difference is negligible. Eating plant foods would result in inflammation whereas beef fat simply wouldn’t. Shame. The video linked in the OP stated he was knee-deep in research, but I wonder which research?

(Allie) #14

Yes that’s what he’s said in many of his other videos. He does always give details of the studies he refers to as he’s not one to just give info without backing it up. You’d have to watch the various videos to get the info though as it’s not (AFAIK) documented anywhere online.

(Chris) #15

Not arguing but just wanted to provide some data for the thread. Just did a google search.

Meta-analysis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/ - grass fed has a better o3 ratio and lower saturated fat.

Research spanning three decades supports the argument that grass-fed beef (on a g/g fat basis), has a more desirable SFA lipid profile (more C18:0 cholesterol neutral SFA and less C14:0 & C16:0 cholesterol elevating SFAs) as compared to grain-fed beef. Grass-finished beef is also higher in total CLA (C18:2) isomers, TVA (C18:1 t11) and n-3 FAs on a g/g fat basis. This results in a better n-6:n-3 ratio that is preferred by the nutritional community. Grass-fed beef is also higher in precursors for Vitamin A and E and cancer fighting antioxidants such as GT and SOD activity as compared to grain-fed contemporaries.

Grass-fed beef tends to be lower in overall fat content, an important consideration for those consumers interested in decreasing overall fat consumption. Because of these differences in FA content, grass-fed beef also possesses a distinct grass flavor and unique cooking qualities that should be considered when making the transition from grain-fed beef. To maximize the favorable lipid profile and to guarantee the elevated antioxidant content, animals should be finished on 100% grass or pasture-based diets.

Grain-fed beef consumers may achieve similar intakes of both n-3 and CLA through consumption of higher fat portions with higher overall palatability scores. A number of clinical studies have shown that today’s lean beef, regardless of feeding strategy, can be used interchangeably with fish or skinless chicken to reduce serum cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic patients.

Weston Price analysis: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/know-your-fats/fatty-acid-analysis-of-grass-fed-and-grain-fed-beef-tallow/

Left is grain, right is grass
18:2n-6 Linoleate 3.25 1.1
Putative Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA ) 0.25 0.3

Article (may be biased, and didn’t link the Texas A&M study): https://www.beefmagazine.com/animal-health/7-ag-stories-you-might-have-missed-week-may-3-2019

Lastly, this site is new to me, but does not seem keto-leaning and is staffed by various RDs, pHDs and nutritionists: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#section5

(Elizabeth ) #16

Well I hope there’s enough people that feel good after two weeks to continue, personally I have seen that most people are deep in adaptation symptoms at that point.

(Chris) #17

I have had the opposite observation. Not arguing with you but I think we’re just going by our perception. :slight_smile:

(Chris) #18

Thanks for the edit.

I’m wholly unconvinced by his statements about conventional fat being inflammatory. Every single carnivore I’ve seen bloodwork on has had very, very low inflammatory markers, or if they were high, they lowered as the diet continued. Regardless of what kind of beef they were eating. He’s getting his information from bad science, and/or cherry picking, and not doing any of his own confirmation.

And he supports butcher box because they pay him to give people a discount code. Whether or not that’s in addition to the fact that it’s grass-finished, there’s still money changing hands for every transaction using that code.

(Allie) #19

I don’t buy grass fed / organic and still buy the fatty cuts of meat so don’t follow his logic, just passing on the info as it was asked about :slight_smile:

(Chris) #20

Cheers :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

He does have a point; grain-finished meat tends to be higher in inflammatory ω-6 fatty acids. Whether it’s enough higher to really worry about, I don’t know.

Of course, as I have often mentioned, the problem with his videos is that I can either admire the physique or listen to the audio, and usually the physique wins out. :grin::wink: