Carnito with a twist of ADF

(Deborah) #21

Well I’m starting. Yesterday I weighed in at 187 and today 185. This 1st week will be just carninito with and 8 hour eating window. So my plan to get into the ADF is to keep reducing my window on the fasting day until I’m not eating that day. Feeling pumped! Hoping great results for 2020 for us all.

(Deborah) #22

Weighed in at 182. Five pounds lost since the first, so of course water weight, but I feel better.

(Deborah) #23

Lost another pound today. I still think its water but love to see the scale move anyway

(Katie) #24

Great job! My scale is being way too stubborn to show me anything encouraging lol. Or perhaps it’s because I’ve been on and off this WOE so many times in the last couple months that my body refuses to just let it go lol. Carnito… is that keto and carnivore mixed?

(Deborah) #25

Hi Katie,
Well I’m the same with on and off the WOE. I really want 2020 to be the year I’m more on than off and get to goal. Carnito is keto and carnivore mixed.

The way I figure it, once I actually get to ADF I could even do occasional low carb of 100 carbs or less without halting the weight loss. Today I’m trying to make it to 24 hours fasting for the 1st time this year. I’m hungry as I type this.

Next week I’m going to try fasting with the Zornfast thread. Even if I do a straight fat fast that will be heading me into more self control. What is your plan?

(Katie) #26

I would like to work towards omad, or possible adf with zero carb. I’ve eliminated all plants and and eat mostly meat, but do have cheese and cream. Right now I’m just trying to maintain 2mad with my eating window from noon to 6 or 7 and no snacking in between meals. My plan is to start first by decreasing my feeding window, and work toward a 22hour fast, 2 hour eating window. Last year I hopped right into fasting, and pulled off adf for the better part of 3 weeks, then started with 3 day fasts, and I think I kinda went overboard, because after a point I just couldn’t do it anymore. Not because I didn’t have weight to lose, but it was like my mind started rebelling hardcore lol.
A couple months ago I really figured I’d give carnivore a try and have pulled a couple 10 to 15 day runs, but with all the various holidays and celebrations it was hard to stick to.
Hoping for better now unfortunately I find I’m starving by 10, but I do wake up at 5 am… shortening that window is my first goal haha.
The reason I asked about carnito is because I’ve also heard of ketovore, so was wondering if carnito was different in any way.
I understand the idea of higher carb meals, but that wouldn’t become a trigger for you to slip off plan? I know for me, it would definitely be. I know how amazingly conniving my brain is when it comes to justifying eating off plan.
Good luck with the Zorn fast! The more you practice the easier it gets! They say it’s a muscle you have to exercise…
What would you plan to eat for a fat fast? Especially if you were to stay carnito? Just curious as it’s something I wouldn’t mind trying myself!

(Deborah) #27

Hi Katie,
your goals sound similar to mine. I say carnito, because I want to give myself enough space to beat the food blues. So just knowing I could have a decent taco salad after a day of fasting is a fun thought. But I may just decide to do zero carb. So that’s my logic. But how could a person not lose some weight with a 24 to 48 hour fast every other day. I’m also going to keep that window flexible. Especially if I find myself exercising, or something out of the ordinary for me, once I really get into this new eating life.

For my fat fast, i’m just planning CO and Butter only if necessary. I hope to make it with just coffee and tea and water.

(Katie) #28

I understand that! I watched a podcast with shawn Baker, I think, and he was talking about eating fruits and veggies while they’re actually in season. Carnivore during the winter and spring/summer, include salad and berries and stuff in their rightful season. That kinda resonated with me because I naturally gravitate toward salads and less meat in the summertime anyways. I work an outside job, so in the heat of the summer my appetite for meat is gone. Who knows tho, maybe thatd be the best time to incorporate omad?
That makes sense for the fat fast. I was trying to think of carnivore type foods without any protein… even bone broth has scant amounts of protein. It’s crazy. I do have a bad habit of heavy cream in my coffee, I rely on it to make it through my morning anyways. I do find when I’m not working it’s much easier to go all day on just coffee, and then I’m able to eat closer to omad on the weekends. I may try fat fasting on weekends?
I do know once I get past the first day and a half of fasting it becomes way easier. I suppose I just have to power through lol. Keep me posted on your progress! Also, I found that any weight loss from an extended fast typically stays off if you follow up with an adf routine. Good luck!

(Deborah) #29

Hi Katie,
I made it 23 hours, so that is my best fast as of lately, I have fasted for up to 7 days a couple of times, but this past 2019 was year of the off plan. So you know it isn’t easy to get back into the groove. So in reality I just did a nice OMAD day. As per my rules I just missed it by 1 hour, because 24 to 48 hours is my flex fasting time.

I broke the fast with a can of sardines and some sausage at about 400 calories, then a piece of cheese and some whipped cream. I’m carnivore so far today. I feel so accomplished.

How are you doing today? Do you aim for 24 hours when you do OMAD? Here’s a video I watched today for inspiration

(Katie) #30

Aww man! I watched your video and it made me realize my faults with doing adf in the past. I was doing a modified, under 500 calorie, on my fasting days… the video also made me more aware of my HWC in my coffee habit. I work outside, and right now it’s so cold out, I usually have my am coffee, but then also bring a thermos for the rest of the am. I’ve been telling myself that its fat fasting, but I’m sure I need to reduce the HWC. I think thatll be what I work toward this week…
How are you doing with your protocol? Were you planning on doing something different on the weekends like the video suggests? I kinda like the sound of that… to break up the cycle a little. My goal is to do a fasting day for wednesday and friday this week. I’ve already had too much cream to do it today, or perhaps I’ll do tuesday and thursday…
On your feed days are you still planning on doing any sort of window for feeding?
Anyways, have a great week!

(Deborah) #31

Hi Katie,
Yes, that particular guy is really inspirational and full of info. But I’m still baby stepping along. I did finish a 31 hour fast, and this time a 23 again, which was only followed by 500 calories and I get to be off on two days. My two days are Tuesday and Wed. because that fits our work schedules. So my fasting days will be Monday and wed or Thursday and Saturday. This week I’m doing the Zornfast. I do plan some coconut oil or butter if I must eat. But hoping to make it without.
How are you doing now? Are you staying lowcarb as much as possible?

(Deborah) #32

About Coffee. I did manage to give up the cream in the coffee during fasting times by buying a really smooth organic coffee. I suggest organic just because coffee is the most pesticided food. At the time I found that out, I was just overwhelmed with all the information about food, drinks, diet, etc. But I finally decided if I was going to fast, I may as well make it as pure and healthy as possible.

So now I really like this coffee and during eating times I do put cream in it and still get coffees from starbucks, but it’s not such a big deal with me now.

Next on the list of needing to adjust to is this ADF. Feeling hopeful little by little :smile:

(Deborah) #33

Well I started the Zornfast at 10:30 today and hoping to make it until the same time Sunday.

I do have my fat fast backup, but trying for water, coffee tea to be enough.

My big hopes is this will set me firmly into ADF mode. In other words, ADf could be easy after the big 3 :dizzy_face:

(Deborah) #34

I made it 47 hours with the Zornfast. I feel pumped to be able to do better on my ADF.

I also made it without any crutches. Yea! Feelin Fine!

(Deborah) #35

9 pounds down since January 1st. :smiley:

(Katie) #36

Congratulations!! 9 pounds is great! I’m still looking at my water weight loss of about 6 or 7, but I’m okay with that. I’m mostly zero carb, but I think my failed attempts at longer fasts are an indication that maybe my body isn’t ready to go that extreme yet. A common idea on a lot of those facebook zc or carnivore pages is to not incorporate fasting until your body naturally gets there, and I think that may be best for me. I know I’ve forced it in the past, ignored the hunger pangs, powered thru, and then after a couple weeks just crapped out completely, or worse off went completely off plan. As my goal is to incorporate fasting I think I’ll wait it out a bit.
I do admire your dedication and strength in following through with your fasts! Quite an accomplishment!!

(Deborah) #37

Hi Katie,

yes! it’s all a process! So today I’ve lost another pound and this is day 2 of eating. But this is the reason. I was straight up Carnie. So it certainly did help to skip the Carbs. And the neat thing is, I believe the fasting helped me not care about the additional carbs. Afterall, I still ate good. I just finished 2 eggs with cheese on top and a little pork chop. So yum. :yum:

Well i’m planning to attempt a 42 hour fast starting at midnight tonight. But if I break it with a 500 calorie meal, no biggie;. So much better than my holiday eating.

Yeah Katie on 7 pounds of water weight! Hey I think about 5 pounds of my loss was water weight. So that leaves me with 5 pounds of fat loss. But I just love to see the scale move! I’m sure you do too! :joy:

(Deborah) #38

well curbing my enthusiasm. I made it 48 hours with the zornfast, so I thought I’d go full steam ahead into the ADF, but no way. My thyroid is kicking up a protest. So I’m backing off till I feel better, as far as the fasting. Perhaps one full meal every other day is the best way

(Deborah) #39

well better yet, while I’m needing to be mindful of the thyroid (hashimoto’s) I’m not planning this journey just heading into fasting as long as I feel comfortable, then eating until I feel satiated. I want to end up at ADF, but its just like trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole for right now. Just not working yet. But I am happy with my weight loss so far.

(Deborah) #40

Ate at 7 am, 5 wings and starting fast for as long as I feel good about it.