Carni purposely derailed

(Robin) #1

Guilty admission. My carni was sacrificed at the alter of the Super Bowl. Did not eat earlier today in anticipation. Made the choice before I went. Ate mostly semi-healthy food in moderation, but def had carbs.

I ran it thru my old carb manager ap. Calories and fat were fine. But I consumed almost 50 carbs. Whoa, mama!

I’m not worried about getting back on trap and I don’t regret it. Could have been worse. Passed up many sweet options.

Here is the weird thing. I have not had a migraine aura (just the aura, never the headache) in YEARS! Got one about 45 minutes after I started eating. Has to be a connection, right?

50? You’re good! That wouldn’t even reload your liver after being drained, let alone muscles and then start spilling over. :+1:

(Alec) #4

I am with @lfod14…. 50g does not ruin a week. My view is that you have earned the right to veer off plan with the years of straight and narrow you have done.

Aura migraines? Has to be connected. Don’t really understand what that means, I don’t get anything like that eating carbs: I just get fat!

It’s adorable, I wouldn’t even be sure 50g brings me out of ketosis :smiley: And I go back in no time anyway so who cares? As long as I feel good, of course. I had migraine once in my life but it’s AWFUL. One of my worst pains in my life, only toothache was worse (I am admittedly spoiled pain wise). If I had migraine when eating off, I would never do that.

You did well I suppose but the migraine is unfortunate and may or may not be connected, I don’t know anything about these things.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Probably because your electrolyte balance got disrupted.

I get migraines whenever my sodium gets too low.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

No, but I start getting my arthritis and skin problems back when I eat that much carbohydrate. So metabolically that carb load might not be a problem, but in other ways, it can still be.

Yes - I get these. 100% connected.

(Robin) #9

Thanks for all of the above. I never doubted that I could jump back on the ZC/meat wagon and I have never checked my ketones.

(My “cheating” was actually food that is keto… beans and tomato in the chili, and some cashews).

Mostly curious about that migraine aura… and woke up with one again this morning! Confirmation. It’s one of those annoyances that you forget you used to live with it… until it pops up again.

(Edith) #10

Maybe a reaction to what you ate and not necessarily that they were carbs? Tomatoes are nightshades and cashews, well, they are cashews. :grinning:

(Joey) #11

@robintemplin 50g doesn’t sound like much … but the auras could stem from either closely related or totally unrelated causes. That’s the challenge with n=1 science … you may never really know from this particular episode in isolation.

If you really want to know, wait a while and do it again. Not a recommendation, just a half-baked scientific approach :wink:

(BTW, I very rarely get those painless optical auras, but it seems they’ve become a thing mostly of the past - a rarity. Now you’ve got me wondering if there’s a connection with carbs. Or Super Bowls? :thinking: )

(Edith) #12

My husband gets them when he is slightly dehydrated and has had too much eye strain.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

With me, it has to do with lacking electrolytes, particularly salt.

(Robin) #14

Yeah… it could have been from jumping around and screaming like a maniac during the game (Kansas gal here). My unusually low blood pressure may have had a big jolt too!

But, I never ever get behind on my salt or water.
Those equal Life to me.

lucky it is ALL ya got :slight_smile:

for me that ‘allowing to go off’ would be a month or 2 of insanity if I ‘went off carnivore’. Shows how one can handle and one can never handle but hey do you at all times as we know, just sorry ya got icky from it so bad. Shows ya stuff on what ya ate I think. See for me I would not self limit the minute ‘I allow’ and that is ALL on me and my issues LOL I think ya did ok R!

(Marianne) #16

In the scheme of things, it definitely could have been a lot worst. I don’t think 50 is bad. Sorry about your migraine.

(Shannon) #17

I was happy to find this post, I was wondering if others relaxed their guards for the Superb Owl. I have you waaaay beat, we had friends over, and I consumed:

• Massive amounts of puffed cheese doodles
  • Chips and queso and guac
  • A Killian’s Red beer (kept that to only 1)
  • A sausage ball with lord knows what was in it (def flour)
  • Ruffles Sour Cream & Onion potato chips

I had fasted until 4p that day, then I fasted until 4p the next day and I feel pretty much back on track. Luckily I did not have an upset stomach that night, which is usually what this junk does to me.

I’m impressed you kept it to 50g carbs, but sucks that it gives you a migraine.

Is it possible you were dehydrated? I try to pre-load on days when I know I may overconsume. Some walnuts and a protein drink an hour or so beforehand have worked wonders for me. Skipping breakfast on a day when I may overeat causes me to overeat. I have found having a couple of eggs for breakfast works amazingly well.

(Robin) #19

Agree, but…. One thing I never take chances with is hydration. I learned that long ago. Water is my friend, and I often add some salt in it before bed.

(Jj Bb) #20

Interesting Paul about salt/migraines. Do you also feel nauseous when the salt gets too low? (I’m trying to work out why I’m getting headaches/Nausea sometimes, and perhaps salt is the answer!)

(Robin) #21

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here, no matter how long on the keto or carni path can always learn more as life progresses and things change.
We are all n-1 experiments, so there is a wide range of opinions based on our experiences. But also lots of knowledge.
Glad you are here… anxious to hear more about your own journey.