Carb loading day

(Anthony O'connor) #1

I have lost 117 lbs. over the past 14 months. I have stalled for the past 10 days. I was wondering about a carb loading day and what foods to eat.

(Susan) #2

Congrats on your 117 pound loss, Anthony, that is terrific. If you are stalled, (an actual stall is considered more than 6 weeks or so at the same weight, not 10 days actually). There are a lot of other more effective options to try then loading your body full of Carbs though. If anything, to beat the stall, many of us would suggest that you reduce carbs even more, to maybe do only Carnivore for a bit, that might break the stall. This is a good video that might give you some insight as well =). Good luck in breaking your stall.

(Ken) #3

Really, the first thing you should consider if you’re actually in a Stall is to consider the possibility that you’ve achieved lipostasis due to your body adjusting to your current level of food intake. Are you comfortable, or are you hungry by the time you eat? If not hungry, adjust intake down until you are.

Second, are you never hungry yet trying OMAD or Fasting? If so increase your intake for a couple of weeks to see if loss starts again.

Third, if you’ve tried those two things with no success, then try a Carb Weekend. Just flip your carb and fat macro for two days, but don’t intentionally try to overeat. If you’re an athlete or train regularly, then you can try glycogen recompensation (carb loading) which is not really necessary for.normal people.

(Bob M) #4

Dude, that’s not a stall. That’s a bump. You’ve over 8 pounds every month. That’s freaking insane. I’ve been at this 6 years, and lost about half that.

A carb loading day causes me to gain a lot of weight. I went on vacation, where I was really quite good, though did partake of some carbs, and gained near 10 pounds, that took weeks to come off.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Pretty much my experience. It just stalls ketosis for a bit and I put on a some water weight, and then take a few days to get back where I started. If it’s just one meal nothing much happens as far as I can tell. But a weekend is another story, even if I stay with TMAD. I certainly never felt like it aided my progress. Last weekend I was traveling and I had 3 higher carb meals in three days with my girlfriend, I gained 10 lbs. mostly water. It’s been a week and I have lost 7 again so far.

So it’s more like tolerable under a certain threshold, but not helpful. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

On those occasions when I’ve indulged in some extra carbohydrate I have found that, even if I didn’t get out of ketosis, I still felt like crap the following day. I wake up with my old aches and pains, and I feel stiff and creaky for much of the day, the arthritis in my knee returns, and sometimes also the arthritis in my fingers. These are always helpful things to remember, the next time I’m tempted, and these days the carb food has to taste amazing (which it usually doesn’t) in order to be worth the consequences.

(Anthony O'connor) #7

Thank you all. I appreciate every thing you said and realize that I was concerned for really no reason. I have had a wonderful 14 mo. and regained control of my life. I have recently began walking my dog for several blocks and took the clothes and dust off my treadmill so I can walk indoors when it is too cold. Thank you Susan for the video; it was great.

(Susan) #8

You are welcome, best wishes for your continued Keto success =).

@Anthony_O_Connor as Susan says there are other better things that can be done.

Keep on the keto way of eating and don’t weigh yourself for 2 weeks while getting 9 hours sleep per night.

I remember @richard Richard Morris put it well about weight loss plateaus, back when he was new and keen and seeing results, he noted a plateau is when the body is busy doing something else. The repairs and maintenance having gone well with weight loss have moved on to other projects for a short while such as taking out the garbage or patching up cracks in the walls.

If you have developed a measuring addiction, step off the scale and grab a tape measure and track that for a while instead.

Anthony,
What happened in the meantime?
Still on this plateau?
I ´d suggest something different.
Eat more for a couple of days.
No carbs but more healthy fats and keto food you love. Eat more than you usually would. Just to give your body the feeling there is enough food there. No need to save energy. This will lower you Ghrelin levels and make it easier for you to lose more weight.
Are you sure you still need to lose more weight? 57lbs. sounds pretty massive.

Best of luck,
Niels

(Anthony O'connor) #11

Thank you Neil, I’ve actually lost 117 pounds in 15 months. I am going to lose another 50 pounds and see how I feel. I actually did what you said and increased my food intake for a couple of days and it worked. Thanks again to all who gave me valuable information.