This is the simplest way I’ve found to make caramelized onions. They usually take forever to cook properly, but here’s a way to make them in a slow cooker. You also get onion-flavored butter afterward, which is also a great addition to pretty much anything.
3 lbs onions (I use sweet yellow, but regular yellow work great too)
1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)
Colander or Strainer
- Peel onions and cut in half, then slice thinly (for half circle slices).
- Put onions and butter in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 12 hours.
- Stir once or twice during the 12 hours.
- Drain the onion/butter mixture in a colander over a bowl and save the leftover onion butter too!