Can't get back into keto?

(Bailey Chandler Glenn) #1

About 2 weeks ago something kicked me out of ketosis, i am still not entirely sure what it was (leaning towards there being hidden carbs in a meal i had at a resturaunt)…but i have been struggling to get back into ketosis ever since and weight loss has of course been at a stall. I have not changed anything about my diet at all…i log everthing! I was fat adapted prior to this so i used sugar free coffee syrups fairly often with no effect to my diet …but i figured since i was kicked out i may have to get fat adapted again before i can have them again, so i cut them…but still no ketosis!!! im super frustrated! i already intermittent fast daily 16-18 hrs.

(Robert C) #2

What makes you think you are out of ketosis?

(Bailey Chandler Glenn) #3

Im using test strips

(Running from stupidity) #4

The usual definition of a stall is two months.

(Robert C) #5

Nothing jumps out at me here but some things to keep in mind (same diet that worked before and dropping the questionable syrups - good move!):

• Test strips are measuring what you overproduce - if you are doing well on the diet, you may just be efficiently producing just what you can use (so no leftovers in the urine).
  • Some test strips - after opening - have a short (2 month shelf life)
  • You could have retained some water weight directly after the carb consumption and now - your stress level (about this) is making you hold on to everything - definitely a KCKO situation.

(Carl Keller) #6

Those things are pretty unreliable. A better measure of you being in ketosis might be if your urine still has that funny keto smell to it… and if your cravings and hunger have returned or not.

As @juice says, 2 weeks is not necessarily a stall and it’s certainly not a reason to panic. A better way to look at it might be that you haven’t gained anything for 2 weeks. :slight_smile: If the trend continues you might consider eliminating or reducing certain things.

For example, some people find that eliminating and/or cutting dairy gets them out of weight loss rut… or maybe you can try to eat a little less fat and give your body more access to fat stores for fuel.

(Robert C) #7

And, this may be a random coincidence - you may have been heading for a plateau and reaching full efficiency on ketones (just producing what you need) at this weight just before your carb consumption.

Meaning pee strips? If so those things are garbage for most people once they hit fat adaption. If you were in fact past the fat adaptation you’re doing it right, don’t worry about it. Eating a PIZZA 2 weeks ago would have run it’s course by now, so possible hidden carbs are ABSOLUTELY gone. When you eat carbs, your liver reloads, then your muscles. Once you burn that back off you go back into ketosis, it’s really not some super hard thing to get back into. Only seems that way when you get tunnel vision with testing. Weight doesn’t constantly drop.

(Bailey Chandler Glenn) #9

Thanks for the Info!

(Bailey Chandler Glenn) #10

Yes pee strips, no craving have returned and pee does still smell lol but I was losing 4-6lbs a week before and nothing the last two …just a bit discouraging is all … I still have 85 lbs to lose .