Can you do keto without coffee? Why not?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #44

Bulletproof Fasting again this weekend to see if I can’t lose any more fat! Report coming Monday. :cowboy_hat_face:

(John) #45

As long as coffee exists, thankfully this is a question I won’t have to answer.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #46

Fret not over small things. Until the Holocene comes to a screeching halt we will have coffee. Savour the brew, savour the warmth. All things pass and so will they. The Holocene has been but a momentary blip in the frozen night of the Pleistocene. Not the longest nor the warmest blip, but our blip. We approach nightfall again and hopefully it will come on cats paws, slowly and gently. Or at least after I’m gone. :coffee:

You can do keto without coffee, but I can’t see why I’d want to. I don’t want to do anything without coffee. I love the stuff. Yum yum yum.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #48

I think some folks who either don’t like coffee (I find that very difficult to understand) or have an adverse reaction to coffee itself and/or caffeine just want to try to spoil it for the rest of us who like/love it. To one and all of them I say: you are as likely to dissuade coffee lovers their coffee as dissuade bacon lovers their bacon. Give up! :coffee: :bacon: :crazy_face:

(Allie) #49

(Joey) #50

Okay, cozy up with your favorite beverage for a brief N=1 Report here…

(1) Took Mojo glucose blood test this morning on 14 hr fasted stomach.
(2) Drank 1 full mug of fresh-brewed dark french roast coffee in which I added one measured tablespoon of Hershey’s 100% cacao powder. (umm-mmm.)
(3) Exactly 30 minutes later, retested glucose.

RESULT: Got the exact same reading. Not a single +/- mg/dL difference (which entails some luck, as I almost always get some amount of test result variation, even with back-to-back tests on same finger prick).

So, at least for this particular aging body, neither the coffee nor the Hershey’s cacao had any measurable effect on blood glucose.

Then again, perhaps chocolate offsets caffeine? :wink:

{… or is it Rock Beats Scissors?}

I listened to that guys podcast for a while, then it became apparent that EVERYTHING with him is to eat nose to tail carnivore…and everything else is unhealthy.

Caffeine is a tiredness blocker. We all became addicted in the before keto times while fighting sugar crashes.

Structurally, caffeine closely resembles a molecule that’s naturally present in our brain, called adenosine (which is a byproduct of many cellular processes, including cellular respiration)—so much so, in fact, that caffeine can fit neatly into our brain cells’ receptors for adenosine, effectively blocking them off. Normally, the adenosine produced over time locks into these receptors and produces a feeling of tiredness.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/this-is-how-your-brain-becomes-addicted-to-caffeine-26861037/#IXsOVrOuCGiD3873.99

The way I’m hearing these responses in this thread are akin to, “I could never give up bread… I could never give up pasta…” Where have we heard that before?

How about coffee cycling? (Cyclists can be the most ardent coffee drinkers). You’ve gone keto, tasted the keto flu, so you know you can do it, you can get off the coffee anytime you like. Can you? Would you try caffeine free February, … April, or October?

Maybe there is something in coffee (and it’s ubiquity) that is holding us back?

Water is highly addictive. I wonder how many of you here have a water dependence? Just try to go a day without water. I dare you. You’ll be craving it like mad before the day is over. Water addiction is strong. Water withdrawal is often fatal.

Maybe there is something in water (and it’s ubiquity) that is holding us back?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

Not only that, but overdosing on water is also fatal. . . :scream:

@SporkyDonkey, that Coffee is vital for survival message by @Shortstuff Allie, does not equal that coffee is essential for life, and it was not a randomised control trial.

But I sorta agree that life is addictive, where as death is just interesting, and addiction in itself does hold some chemical demonics.

and oxygen. Don’t forget the oxygen.

(Alex ) #57

Global Conflicts could start if anyone suggested I taper off my coffee consumption as well…

(Alex ) #58

honestly, it’s the one true vice I don’t think I could EVER get rid of, and wouldn’t want to either.

Even hardened caffeine addicts I’ve spoken to, who gave up, still say life without it isn’t really that impressive… so why stop?

Because life without coffee may be better.

Didn’t World War 1 start because the negotiations broke down because they didn’t allow breaks for people to have a cigarette?

(Alex ) #61

Yep, pretty sure that’s correct, and they restricted lattes…

(John) #62

And yet here is an article that mentions several ways that coffee can help with weight loss:

I like coffee. I drink it black in the mornings. In the evenings when I sometimes I really want to nibble on something after dinner, even though I am full, a cup of decaf with some low carb coconut/almond creamer will satisfy that urge with very little calories added.

I have previously quit caffeine. I know how to do it. Taper for a week by switching slowly over to decaf options, then go cold turkey and wait for the headache. Take one Excedrin, which contains caffeine as well as aspirin, until the next headache. The times between headaches become longer, and usually by the second day of that you don’t need the Excedrin. It is best to start the cold-turkey on a Friday after your last cup that morning (or just before your days off) so you don’t have to deal with the withdrawals while trying to work.

I just never really noticed any significant improvement in how I felt while caffeine-free, compared to being a regular coffee drinker.

One issue would be that it would pretty much limit me to nothing but water, and occasionally almond milk, as a beverage option. You can call it a crutch, or a sign that I still have triggers for overeating, but sometimes my mouth just wants to taste something. When I can give it a cup of black coffee, or green or black tea, and not eat food, I am much less likely to decide to eat something when I don’t really need to.

I suppose I could eventually get to where I am a true ascetic, but for now I am going to hang onto coffee.