Can we get people to stop freaking out about not losing weight fast enough?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #41

If you like, I would be happy to private message you and share some of what has worked for me. There are many different opinions on the forums, so it takes time to find out what works for you specifically.

(R L) #42

I keep asking for a more in depth thyroid test because i have alot of signs of thyroid disease but my dr only does tge standard test, which always comes back normal.
I tested with the strips at the beginning but i read that they are not accurate after youve been on keto awhile.
Ive been looking for a breathalyzer.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #43

The strips never worked for me, but now I use a blood ketone monitor, and it shows I am in ketosis. But I hear the breath monitors work well too. Most doctors won’t do the full thyroid panel. Are you worried about that? Can you pay for one privately?

(Lindsey) #44

It’s easy to freak out because there’s no way of knowing if something is ever going to work until it does. The worry over whether it will at all is something I’d imagine most people are concerned about.

Ugh. Yeah. That’s what 85% of r/keto is. I have to admit it was encouraging/exciting to see at first…but I’m very glad I found KF to get actual information/tips/education about keto.

(Ann Pitts) #46

Hi i guess im in the 1% im female 57 sw 285+ sd jan 2 18 i loss 100 lbs in 8 mos i keto as best i could i also IF 16/8 or 22 hrs i have hypothyroidism thats what got me started i was told for the last six yrs it’s not my fault i can’t lose so i finally got tired of hearing that and getting bigger I’ve reached my gw 190 and size 18/20 yes every bodies different but the nsv ate the best to me stay encouraged

(Ann Pitts) #47

How often ate u changing up? You have to give your body time to
adjust to the chg the body is very smart it will hold on to weight till it knows your not starving so let a couple wks or so go by b4 chg up you will find your sweet spot keto to me is always adjusting hang in there

(Sherri) #48

Wendy, the way I understand it, when you initially build muscles it takes a lot more time and effort than when you rebuild them. That’s because even though you lost muscle mass from before, you didn’t lose the underlying structure. The muscle fiber is already built, so when building muscle again, it’s not entirely from scratch like it was the first time.

(Wendy) #49

I don’t know what that means. My limited understanding of how muscle is built is you use them. When you stress them they break down a little and then as they heal they are built up with protein/amino acids. My understanding is that muscle memory is not that muscles remember but that the nerves remember how to do a certain movement whether it’s playing a piano piece or throwing a football.
I’m just curious if there is any science behind what you are sharing our is it just someone’s opinion or way of explaining how muscles grow.

(Chris) #50

Muscle memory as in the nerves memorizing a movement, and muscle memory as in it’s faster to rebuild muscles lost (given proper nutrition and workload). Unfortunately the same term is used for two very different processes. I admit I don’t fully understand the latter, but I’ve seen it work in my own anecdote.

(Wendy) #51

Okay I did a quick Google and finally found a reference to what you are referring to. It seems to be a terminology used by body builders. I watched this quick 6 min video. https://youtu.be/2huvkWzPRps

(Mandy) #52

There is some great info in this post and a lot of truth. I tell myself and others not to worry about the scale. With that said, I see a lot of people that have lost a lot of weight relatively quickly, telling others not to worry about it. I find this a little disheartening as someone who is going into month 5 with a loss of less than 5 pounds (on the scale that is). I feel like anyone who does lose a lot of weight quickly cannot relate to someone like myself. Every time I read those comments it feels like a billionaire telling someone living in poverty that money does not matter. Let’s be real, most people coming to keto are doing some for weight loss. I can understand the frustration with feeling as if you are doing everything right but not seeing a lot of movement. Changing the way you think about this WOE is key but can be pretty difficult. I’d like to pretend I do not care about the number on the scale and while it has gotten a lot easier to not allow it to get me down, it still creeps in from time to time.

(Daisy) #53

I can see it from both sides, as someone who instantly lost 10 lbs, then I “lose 2 lbs, gain 3 lbs, repeat” on a weekly/ daily basis. I do want to lose another 10 lbs minimum and it is frustrating to see my friend who is now a stick from Keto. But I know how I feel when I eat right, and as frustrating as it is to not see continued loss, weight loss is only a small portion of why I Keto, so I will Keto on.

(Mary) #54

I could’ve written this, Mandy. Ok, maybe not as eloquently…

Anyway, I’m nearly 9 months in and have yet to lose an honest pound (one that stays gone). Haven’t gone off plan once in all that time, IF’d, upped the exercise, upped the water, etc, rinse, repeat. I’m doing this for the health benefits so will keep on even if I never lose a pound. But jeez… I’ve got 80 extra of the buggers. What does it take?

Fasting, I suspect. Serious fasting…

(Marianne) #55

I can relate so well; I am so afraid that I won’t lose my weight on keto. I certainly want to be healthy, especially lower my b.p. and cholesterol, but I would like to be “thinner”, too. I am 80 lbs. overweight. For some people here, that isn’t a lot, for others it is hard to imagine. At 60, I really like the person I am. I do not, however, like how I look and have to keep reminding myself that I am working on it, but I want so badly to lose the weight.

Please hang in there. I have to tell myself that if I were to go off of this, I would feel totally despondent and hopeless. I feel good right now on this WOE, even though there are plenty of things I would like to be able to reincorporate back in without consequence. Right now, I just can’t return to that crushing feeling of being out of control and wondering if/when I am ever going to find my way back. Good luck. :persevere:

(Mary) #56

Just to give you a little hope - I’m down 30 lbs since I wrote the post above yours :grin:

(Marianne) #57

Fabulous! Congratulations!

(R L) #58

Please hang in there. I have to tell myself that if I were to go off of this, I would feel totally despondent and hopeless.

Thanks Gingersmommy, I’m still trying. I started keto 2/14/18 and I’ve lost 56 lbs total but only 11 since May when things just ground to a halt. I have 100 more to go, I am happy right now just because I’m seldom hungry. I’m unintentionally doing 20/4 IF and discovered 3 day fasting is pretty easy for me so I’m planning to do a 5 day fast to see how that goes.
I hope you find your sweet point and reach your goal soon.

(Marianne) #59

Wow, 56 lbs in a year is awesome! I bet you look and feel so much better. I started on 2/19/19 and don’t know how much I’ve lost because I refuse to get on the scale. I took a beginning weight but it will be a looong time before I weigh myself again. The scale is b.s. I have 80 lbs. to lose.

I was just thinking today of something that I read on here to the effect of maybe we “stall” because our bodies have to heal from so much abuse. Who knows what’s going on inside our bodies - I’m sure lots of repair. For me, my liver is probably in shock and wondering if I am going to return to abusing it (I have a fatty liver). Ditto with my kidneys, heart, blood pressure, etc. The body is so miraculous; I am going to cut it a break and know that it is busy working to heal itself.

Based on folks here and research I have done, I think you will respond to fasting. Another great repair for the body. Best.