Can someone tell me if my thoughts are correct on CICO

I wish we could distinguish between CICO as strategy (generally terrible) and CICO as explanation (generally pretty decent).

When people say “CICO” they usually mean one or the other.

(Running from stupidity) #230

And some people deliberately confuse the terms for trollish effect.

(Kay baker) #231

Id like to think that calories dont matter, but logic tells me they do matter…I wish they didnt !!!

(Kay baker) #232

Hi, I must ask what is CICO?
I do feel a little ancient but I dont know all these abreviations lol lol

(Kay baker) #233

I agree with you wholeheartedly. you are spot on !!!

CICO - calories in calories out (pronounced “psycho”)

(Kay baker) #235

got it thanks…

Pronounced how you like.
I like ‘Keeko’.

I pronounce it “hey why is everyone so fat”

(John) #238

I think CICO matter. I dont think its the only thing but it does matter. My question would be if CICO do not matter then why do people on a keto diet turn to fasting to continue weight loss after their body has stalled on weight loss. Fasting is a way to take in less then you burn so you lose weight or burn fat depending on how you like to look at it. Sounds like a form of CICO to me

(Running from stupidity) #239

Well, yes and no. It’s VERY different to the way CICO gets used by almost everyone.

Around here, fasting is used primarily as a hormonal intervention, not a caloric one.

(John) #241

i would agree if you only needed to fast once and things started moving again but it seems like most people that start fasting have to keep doing it to keep things going

(Running from stupidity) #242

Because hormones should be a one-time fix?

(John) #243

I dont think its a one time fix. They are ever changing but fasting is a form of cico any way you look at it. CICO is probably not the only reason fasting works but it is a big contributor IMO. I could be wrong though

(less is more, more or less) #244

Sometimes I wonder how active @carl and @richard are in, reading the forums. This suggests they are quite attentive:

This talk parallels many of the threads in this thread.

(bulkbiker) #245

Dr Ben knocks it out of the park again…
And explains CICO and hormonal responses at about 18 minutes…

(Adam Kirby) #246

I love Sam’s experiments because they prove that the pure CICO framework is simply wrong.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #247

I like his way of putting it, that the hormonal hypothesis embraces and includes the caloric intake model, because the latter simply isn’t complex enough to deal with the reality.

(John) #248

I always enjoy the dudes podcasts but do not always agree with them. I cant be the only person that heard Sam say that he had more energy on the low carb high fat so he did more and was more lethargic on the low fat so did less. That would be a difference in calories out so the results do not surprise me. To me the main thing that he did was once again show how the lchf is better then the sad diet. Also Not to nit pick this but had Sam been doing a test to prove that the keto diet was bad for you the first thing that would have been said is that you cant have that many carbs and be considered on a ketogenic diet. It would have be discounted right then. In fact I bet most people on this site would say you cant get into ketosis with that many grams of carbs. Do the math on the nuts alone. He said over 3000 calories a day of them. I hope this isn’t coming off argumentative. I’m all for this way of eating just cant get on the cico don’t matter train.