Can I use these in my first water fast

1 - Dropper: Magnesium 109mg, Sodium 17mg, Vitamin B12(dibencozide) 50mcg, Potassium 21mg
2 - Dropper: Magnesium 109mg, Sodium 17mg, Potassium 21mg
3 - Smart Water 1 Liter
4 - Poland Spring 1 Liter
5 - 365 Everyday Value - Sea Salt - Fine Crystals (From Wholefoods)

Question 1 - I drink 2 Liters a day and prepare each liter with a tea spoon of Sea Salt… Correct?
Question 2 - Does the timing of drinking the water matter?
Question 3 - With the two droppers I listed that have those contents. Can I use either of them while on the fast? or Avoid both?
Question 4 - How do I get magnesium, potassium in my system if I can’t use those dropper solutions?
Question 5 - What else do I have to do? How do I get my trace minerals? Etc.

(Tom Seest) #2

Excellent questions, and I have my own opinion. I’m sure others will be along to offer their opinion.

To me, the important preparation for a fast actually rarely happens during a fast, but it occurs before the fast. Depending on the nature of the vitamin, the electrolyte, etc, they are either circulating in the blood serum, stored in cells, etc.

So, you’re asking the correct questions. But, to feel good during a fast, you need to get your intra-cellular levels up. You can either do blood tests to determine this, or just make the assumption that they are low and supplement in advance.

If you are running low during a fast, it’s your circulating levels that are low, or the body can’t access the stored electrolytes. Either way, you supplement them during a fast.

I use a variety of electrolyte and vitamin supplements before, during and after fasting. For things like Magnesium, I use Re-Mag, and many different forms of Magnesium.

Specifically, I use this brand, but don’t feel that there aren’t better products out there: https://www.goodstate.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImJbSuLSM1wIVAihpCh0OTg1ZEAAYAiAAEgLCCPD_BwE

Either way, best of luck, and keep asking the questions.

(Dawn) #3

When I first started fasting, I did pretty much all of those things. I still drink electrolyte water regularly and mineral water. I don’t really put much emphasis on when I drink my water. I just drink when I’m thirsty. I use many different things to get Mg into my system. I mostly soak in epsom salts to get some minerals. I also drop some of the trace elements into water. Since I have become more experienced with fasting, I have changed my routine. Now I supplement very heavily BEFORE my fast. Just as @tdseest mentioned. I really do a good job taking plenty of vitamins and supplements during my refeed phase. I have found that taking supplements on an empty stomach while fasting makes me feel unwell. If I am doing broth during the fast then I will drop some pink salt in my broth, but that is about it. I also soak every night in Epsom salts.

But to summarize, I followed your exact routine and I have had great results with my water fasts. If you find that the supplements upset your stomach, maybe back off of them a bit and see if that helps. Just make sure you supplement well during your non fasting time. Do what works for you. If it doesn’t work, try something else =0)

For soaking:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW1KAYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vitamin: Great multivitamin with no fillers. Formulated especially for keto and has added Mg and K to help with deficiencies, but be careful because it also has a probiotic which can make it difficult to take during fasting days:
https://www.amazon.com/Ketolabs-Daily-Multivitamin-Minerals-Probiotics/dp/B00WDBPM0M/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1511815084&sr=8-3&keywords=keto+multivitamin+women

Daily requirements in potassium and sodium are a few hundred times the dosage. Think grammes not milligrammes. In any case, “salt light” gives you sodium and potassium, that’s certainly way cheaper that this useless supplement.

If you regularly eat eat animal products and have no pathology that impacts B vitamins (e.g. alcoholism), you have a few years’ worth of B12 vitamin. That’s why vegans that do not supplement notice their mistake after a few decades…

Daily requirement in magnesium is about 400 mg, so you would get about half the RDA. In any case, the body has about 25 g of magnesium stored, so you can withstand a few days fast without issues.

Not sure about Smart and Poland water… have you tried water from Campos de Hielo Sur glaciers (Southern Chile)? :wink:

(Mike W.) #5

How long are you planning to fast?