Can I just eat steak and roasts?

food

(job) #1

I’ve realized I pretty much can not eat ground beef. Its so disgusting to me I almost vomit at the smell of it. Is it okay to just eat steaks and roasts or are they not fatty enough? I add 8 grams of celtic sea salt a day to my food and that’s already making it hard to get down, can pretty much guarantee you if I put celtic sea salt on ground beef I would vomit.

(Jane) #2

Why would you ask such a question???

You only need to keep your carbs < 20. Doesn’t matter what protein you enjoy. Eat what appeals to you and eschew the rest.

(Elizabeth ) #3

quit adding salt only use it if you like the taste. And steaks and roasts are fine just make sure you eat the fat on the meat :slight_smile:

Cause the poster is wanting to eat zero carb. Carnivore. This is posted in that section, this isn’t a 20g carb plan at all…so yea the question is actually a good one :slight_smile: and I sure understand what and why they are asking.

------------So yes it is fine to eat steaks and roasts. Any meat or seafood or fish you love, you eat it and enjoy it. You hate burger then don’t eat it. You can ‘feel your fat intake’ from your meats and red meats give a very good amt of fat so you don’t have to worry but if you feel you need a tad more you can eat some other fats, like pork belly etc. or you can add a bit of butter to your steaks etc.

Also salt is not a ‘requirement’ on zero carb at all. Some people never use it, others love it. You do salt as you feel you need salt in your body and this whole zero carb plan is all about you :slight_smile:

You know when you need a bit of salt. You know what meats/seafood and fish you want to eat. Do you and make it work for you and to suit you and you got it made!!!

Wishing you the best and just follow what you like, how you wanna roll and you will do well I am sure :wink:

(Jane) #5

Oh ok. I didn’t notice the topic - makes sense now.

LOL yea I miss the topic category section sometimes also. I get it :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

The healthiest salt intake range is 10-15 grams daily, including salt already present in food. Most of us have to add some amount of salt to our diet, but if you are carnivore and getting enough blood, it may not be necessary to add salt.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

The essence of the carnivore diet is to avoid eating plant matter. What meat you eat is up to you. You don’t need to limit yourself to beef, however. Poultry and other meat animals are also an option.

Most people who eat zero-carb/carnivore avoid putting spices (plant matter) on their food. Most also drink only water, though I know some people allow themselves coffee or tea, despite their plant origins. I suppose dairy counts as carnivore, but so many people have some problem or other with dairy that it usually doesn’t appear in a ZC/carnivore diet. Most people are eating carnivore because of health problems they couldn’t resolve any other way, after all.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

You might want to listen to these podcasts
Amber talks about carnivore eating

Brenda and Donna’s experience with all steak all the time for 30 days.

(Todd Allen) #10

Dr. Shawn Baker eats mostly steaks and roasts and seems to be doing ok. But some may have increased need for micronutrients which can be lacking with that approach. Might check out Dr. Paul Saladino’s book The Carnivore Code. He advocates a nose to tail approach with organ meats for vitamins and minerals, Bone broth, tendons and skin for a better amino acid profile such as more glycine which is low in muscle meat. And possibly including foods such as eggs, fish and shellfish to boost things such as choline, DHA, iodine and manganese.

(Elizabeth ) #11

Sure we have no science at this point, and they’re also maybe a vast difference between what is healthy and what is optimal, but none of the long-term carnivores I know eat nose to tail, they don’t even bother with grass-fed, other than Amber who recently started eating brains and liver because she likes them.

(Elizabeth ) #12

(job) #13

Well from what I’ve read its best to stick to only red meat and water for 2-4 weeks and then introduce new meats. Don’t want to screw it all up by eating lamb or chicken or something and ruin the adaptation period.

(job) #14

She eats zero salt because she eats animal organs/liver/brain,etc. Which is what I don’t eat, which means I need salt.

(Elizabeth ) #15

Dana doesn’t touch any organ meat whatsoever. She has been carnivore 12 years and hasn’t used salt for the last 10 years. She eats about 3 lb of meat a day beef eggs fish chicken pork. She’s 5’8 152 lb 53 years old and looks phenomenal in a bikini. She hikes for miles through the mountains of northern California and has a high activity level in her mountain home. Sweats like crazy still does not need to add salt. Most people that try to eliminate salt have a battle week of misery, but for the people that try it and are successful a lot of them eliminate nausea, leg cramps, overeating and a host of other things. Personally I use a pinch or two of salt as flavoring. But if you eat a couple pounds of meat it’s got plenty of sodium you don’t technically need it unless you have some underlying health issue that requires it and I would never arbitrarily tell somebody to eat salts.

(job) #16

Okay I might try no salt eventually but not until I’ve been on it for at least like 2.5 weeks for the adaptation thanks. I don’t buy grass fed cause I can’t afford it so not sure if that would fuck things up combined with no salt or organs.

(Elizabeth ) #17

You’re overthinking this. One of the best parts about eating carnivore is that it’s really simple you eat meat when you’re hungry and you drink water when you’re thirsty. Use salt don’t use salt, whatever makes you happy.

Elizedge is right. Do not overthink zero carb one bit.

Eat meat. Eat seafood. Eat fish. It is ok. You do not have to eat only red meat for 2-4 weeks but it is optimal, in that zc is a massive elimination menu plan. If we hold to red meat it is optimal because most people flourish on red meat. It is one of the best meats from the animal kingdom that the overall majority of people do extremely well on and that is why the ‘beef and water’ info flies around out there but this doesn’t have to be the case if you find beef is now somehow working against you. You can eat any meat/seafood/fish you want. But again, if we go all with red meat, then we find if we add back pork or lamb etc. we also know if those meats effect us or if we do well on them. red meat like good old beef is majorly safe option. One could have a pork intolerance, or a mild allergy to fish or seafood or ??

And don’t measure. You feel ya need some salt, eat some salt :slight_smile: You feel you need more steak and roast meat, eat up.

You will not f up this plan if you just eat meat/seafood and drink water. You will f up this plan if you control it down to a very fine macro or put such crazy limits on it that will work against ya in the end.

Hold strong and best of luck :slight_smile:

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #19

Maybe you’re overdoing the salt? Not liking salt means you probably don’t need that much salt.

And yeh, steaks are fine, roasts are fine. Liver is fine. Kidney is fine. Brain is fine. You don’t have to, but you can.

(job) #20

Its Celtic sea salt so it tastes like the sea, does anyone like that? I tried mixing it into water and shaking the bottle and it tasted exactly like when you get sea water in your mouth and I nearly barfed wtf is up with people guzzling this shit down? Sickos. I’ll try not eating salt but maybe not for another like five or six days as I’m paranoid I’ll screw up my adaptation.