Can I just eat steak and roasts?

food

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #21

Dude. Don’t push salt on yourself. Take as much, or as little salt as you want, even during the adaptation phase. You’ll WANT more in the adaptation phase, but your taste is still probably an accurate guide.

I like salt (to some extent, I never will go anywhere near the keto recommended amount) but I HATE salty water. So I don’t drink salty water :smiley: (I could eat salt. I don’t need supplementing salt but in extreme circumstances I would need it I think. If I ever feel dizzy and it’s a logical idea to lack sodium, I will eat salt. Why to eat it when everything is right and I don’t desire to eat it? Beats me.)

I don’t know what adaptation screwing up you talk about, I always liked the simpleness and chillness of carnivore versus all the other woe I saw with their complicated things, even keto is like that, at least what I see how people often approach it… But I am just someone flirting with carnivore and refusing to worry as my body approves, it’s noticeably better than my previous woe and that wasn’t exactly bad… Just lacking.

(job) #23

Starting to wonder if 8 grams of salt daily is giving me this indigestion and random chest burning flare ups during the day idk. Maybe I will cut out salt. All I eat is steaks 90% of the time though.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #24

only have as much salt as you want, no more and no less. So just a pinch instead of this obscene amount.

(Elizabeth ) #25

Love the name

(Davy) #26

Paul, how much salt do YOU actually average per day? Just asking. Me, I roll with 3-4g.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Sorry for the late reply; I just saw this thread on the list.

Several studies have shown that the healthiest sodium intake is between 4 and 6 g/day, which translates to 10-15 grams of table salt (sodium chloride). I don’t actually measure my salt, because I find that if I don’t get enough I get constipated and start to get migraines, and if I get too much, it affects my stool in the opposite direction from constipation. I am not carnivore myself, but I know that many carnivores do not feel the need to add salt to their food, and they certainly appear to be getting enough from the meat they eat.

OP long gone but good info the board regarding zc /carnivore

(Bob M) #29

No thoughts on whether higher salt intake means a need for other minerals, such as magnesium? That’s Dave Feldman’s theory, though Dave eats a lot of salt.

I take in extra salt daily. Put some in my coffee, drink olive or pickle brine after working out, sometimes add it to water, salt all food (usually eat 2 times per day, though did OMAD yesterday). Lately, I’ve been taking magnesium, though sometimes – truth be known – I think too much magnesium might cause cramps. It’s difficult to tell, though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

From things I’ve heard Dr. Phinney say, I’d expect the reverse. In other words, the magnesium and potassium in our food would be used properly, instead of to compensate for lack of sodium. But I could well be wrong, since I also know that Dr. Phinney has talked about supplementing magnesium and potassium in his own diet.