Can I call myself carnivore if I eat dark chocolate?

It’s scary to think how much chocolate would I consume if it would make me happy… It doesn’t do absolutely anything, it’s just tasty but one of the tastes I quite like.
I was a chocolate monster but keto stopped basically every cravings instantly. But I still like cocoa. Just not nearly alone. I never will like over 70% chocolate as it has way too much cocoa. Added sugar is out of question, sugar alcohol is optional but it must be very little if any. I make my own chocolate and it’s as fatty as I want and I can’t get bored of it. I rarely even use cocoa butter as it doesn’t make my stuff much better, just pricier (and a tad more chocolate-y but I still miss something when I think about “normal” chocolate I ate before I realized I can do my own. Whatever, I am addicted enough to my not-quite-chocolate, I don’t need to improve it).

Good day, I watched a Dr. Ken Berry vid about carnivore and am interested but I have a few questions. He said you can eat beef and eggs and bacon. I’ve been keto for a year, IF 16:8, and keep my carbs below 20 grams a day. Question, can I eat chicken thighs and pork chops and boneless pork ribs? Also, can I eat zero carb cheeses such as provolone and cheddar on the carnivore diet? Thanks for the help in advance.

(KCKO, KCFO) #43

Carnivores eat animal products, cheese is an animal product, as is cream, so yeah go for it. Chicken parts, pork parts, and even lamb are all animal products.

Enjoy.

('Jackie P') #44

According to Zoe Harcombe, chocolate is a health food and that’s good enough for me😊

LOL I like seeing that cocoa is a health food LOL

but we don’t worry ever about micronutrients on carnivore but hey it is a great way to sell it :slight_smile:

Elizedge posted this link to an article that Dana wrote from Zero Carb Health. She is addressing chatting about being a dirty carnivore etc. and why it never truly helps any of us hardcore carnivores when hardcore people want and require being strict on plan.

I like this article of hers and it bears being printed out. Some people won’t click a link but posting it out on the thread means someone might then take the time to read it.

By – Dana
With all the new “Carnivore Diet” hype and the discovery that actually being a full time ZC carnivore is hard and in most cases deemed unnecessary by some, I thought I would bring back the original term used to describe people who were almost Carnivores. Re-introducing, the “Dirty Carnivore”.

Dirty Carnivore was a forum created, maybe back in 2010 (I forget the year) by somebody who could not give up her non ZC foods. This was a perfect example of Carbohydrate addiction. She felt better on a mostly meat diet, but felt some harmless low carb nuts, dark chocolate and veggies should be allowed. This same thing is going on, again, today. So many people want to be carnivores, but are finding it is not as easy as it sounds, because of acculturation and addiction to carbohydrates.

Back then, although I had to be a Hardcore Carnivore, I thought the Dirty Carnivore diet would take off. It seemed so much easier and socially acceptable than The Zero Carb Carnivore diet. I thought it would be a good starting point for people to ease into The Zero Carb diet. The Dirty Carnivore was basically meat centric with a few low carb plant foods allowed. But like all low carb diets “Carb Creep” won out in the end and the “Dirty Carnivore” diet and forum fizzed out. Yet, the hardcore ZC Carnivore’s are still going strong and thriving.

This brings me back to the reason we are so strict. Hardcore ZC Carnivore is actually easier, on many levels, for some people mostly because food cravings disappear. It is so freeing when your life no longer revolves around food. I can’t even explain how life changing this phenomenon is. It is something that truly has to be experienced in order to understand. I love it when members of our group make it to that point of total freedom and peace with food. For many of us, this is the only reason we remain Hardcore Carnivores, freedom from the bondage of food cravings and food preparation (shopping, cooking, planning, creating) that consumed our entire lives.

But, for most people going “Hardcore” is not necessary. Most people can tolerate a few low carb plant foods.

To all of you avocado, berry eating “carnivores”, let’s get real, you are not true carnivores, you are “Dirty Carnivores”. Calling yourselves “Carnivores”, while eating a salad is confusing the newbie Hardcore Carnivores, who can’t eat salads or dark chocolate without suffering or falling into a craving abyss that sometimes lasts for months. It’s like the alcoholic drinking a light beer at an AA meeting. So not cool.

There is nothing wrong with being transparent and we are not disparaging the Dirty Carnivores at all, we wish we could be one, but we can’t. I think it is time to differentiate the diets as to avoid confusion.

Exactly, they actually disappear. I have zero cravings. Last night I was around a crowd of people shoveling pizza, honey buns, etc with no temptation to join in: none.

I wish more people understood this. I think Dirty Carnivore, HyperCarnivore, 90% Carnivore are all totally cool if they work for the people doing it, however that is not actually the Carnivore diet so yes, it would be confusing.
Categories exist for a reason, it’s impossible to effectively communicate when there are no boundaries determining what is being discussed. Thus the chaos of our subjective modern “society.”

(Elizabeth ) #48

Here’s what I believe is the original website from more than 10 years ago and we’re still advocating the same things :slight_smile: http://zeroinginonhealth.com/what-is-zero-carb.html

Thanks. I like the edits to the Bear’s original list.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #50

As a former Almost Vegetarian I feel compelled to speak on behalf of the Almost Carnivores out there. As an Almost, we are not trying to corrupt the purity of the Strict. And we are not Dirty.

But if you go out to eat with people, what is the best way to convey what you want to eat? “Vegetarian” and “Carnivore” have unambiguous meanings and as such are useful in social situations. When I was Almost Vegetarian, I didn’t want people to force me to eat chicken and fish when I didn’t want to. (Most of that time I didn’t eat chicken, even privately, but I did sometimes towards the end.) But even if eating occational chicken was a harbinger of omnivorism coming my way, that was my decision and my timeline. As soon as someone knows you eat outside of the strict defenition of vegetarianism, then they think they can make you eat whetever. I imagine the same is true for Almost Carnivores. Oh, you sometimes eat a vegatable, or a spice? Here, eat this huge salad. It’s fine, because you aren’t really a carnivore.

Life is tricky. Let’s give each other a break.

Very true, and I’m a pretty easy going person so don’t think I’m beating up on anyone: ever. There’s no place for that here and I have no tolerance for it. It’s just that for purposes of discussion we need to know what is being discussed, hence my comment above.

This is absolutely not to disparage anyone for any dietary decision. We are all very bio-individual and what works for me may not work for you. However we can’t both be talking about the same thing if we can’t agree on what we’re talking about in the first place.

I so understand this as an almost vegetarian (who totally tries not to be right now but my plans got ruined for the next week :frowning: )… Just because I eat meat now and then, I usually don’t. And even if I do, I’m very choosy. I usually act like a true vegetarian when I see meat, that’s no food for me. Except a very tiny subset of meat and only when I’m ready for it.

“Eat a huge salad, it’s fine”, that’s so silly. I get what you say of course and agree but it’s wrong even if someone is a normal omnivore or a vegetarian! It’s not a given they ever eat salads, want one now, that type or a huge one…
Just like you can’t expect a carnivore to eat chicken. It’s totally carnivore food but the one is an individual. Maybe they hate chicken or it’s not good for them for some reason. Or they eat chicken but not any chicken, any time.
So even if we have a clear label, it’s not a reason to expect us to eat something. (I eat only in the afternoon, by the way. It’s natural to me. Not everyone understands it, to put it lightly.)

Well that’s the thing, for me it doesn’t matter what they say in that I know I am a carnivore 99% of the time and that 1% in life I take a bite of something like a piece of chocolate on vacation I am fine with it. I chose a Dirty Carnivore day for me. Dirty of course doesn’t mean the person is nasty by any means :slight_smile: it means you muddied up the food plan.

we all think as we must to make the category fit us and what we will allow and won’t allow.

I have no troubles asking for my food anywhere I go. I say I eat meat and seafood only and I want a burger, no bun. A steak, hold all sides and etc.

We are all human. We are all going to do a tad of this or that, it is what you do and how much you do it away from the original plan you are following is the truth about it all. You know what I mean…if one walks too far away from the original plan, you can’t even say you are doing that plan anymore.

So it all really boils down to a personal truth for each of us.

very true or can’t expect us to not wander a tad out of our category rarely.

people love categories. Love to label. It keeps things ordered in their minds. Makes sense of life if things are labeled and it keeps them comfortable.

I need my carnivore lifestyle. I don’t want a dirty carnivore hardly ever.
So we all need to keep it very personal and just roll along.

(KCKO, KCFO) #55

I’m going to print this out and hand it out to anyone who says anything about my cacao powder consumption. :facepunch:

(Chris) #56

Eat animals and drink water my friend.