Can drinking vodka soda PREVENT you from getting into Ketosis?

(matt ) #21

Drinking will often lower bg as the liver focuses on the alcohol and not on releasing glucose.

(Roy D) #22

Found the following at;

When we ingest alcohol (in the form of ethanol), our body begins to work to metabolize it or destroy/break it down to get energy. Since alcohol is toxic to our bodies, we begin to metabolize it as soon as possible.

Many people find that drinking alcohol in excess stalls their weight loss. That may be because the liver will begin to process the alcohol as soon as possible. Our fat burning processes are disrupted to rid ourselves of that alcohol quickly. The speed at which alcohol is metabolized differs from person to person.

Clear liquors at about 40% alcohol are a safe bet and are considered keto alcohol, and anything that tastes sweet is not! Acceptable keto alcohol includes:

• Vodka
  • Tequila
  • Gin
  • Whiskey
  • Rum
  • Scotch
  • Brandy
  • Cognac

Red Wines (5 oz. serving)

• Cabernet Sauvignon: 120 calories, 3.8 carbs
  • Pinot Noir: 121 calories, 3.4 carbs
  • Merlot: 120 calories, 3.7 carbs

White Wines (5 oz. serving)

• Pinot Grigio: 122 calories, 3.2 carbs
  • Sauvignon Blanc: 122 calories, 2.7 carbs
  • Chardonnay: 118 calories, 3.7 carbs
  • Riesling: 118 calories, 5.5 carbs
  • Champagne: 96 calories, 1.5 carbs

Light Beers (12 oz. serving)

• Bud Select 55: 55 calories, 1.9 carbs
  • MGD 64: 64 calories, 2.4 carbs
  • Rolling Rock Green Light: 92 calories, 2.4 carbs
  • Michelob Ultra: 95 calories, 2.6 carbs
  • Bud Select: 99 calories, 3.1 carbs
  • Miller Lite: 96 calories, 3.2 carbs
  • Natural Light: 95 calories, 3.2 carbs
  • Michelob Ultra Amber: 114 calories, 3.7 carbs
  • Coors Light: 102 calories, 5 carbs
  • Amstel Light: 95 calories, 5 carbs
  • Bud Light: 110 calories, 6.6 carbs

Sugar is hidden everywhere! Even something seemingly innocent like a gin and tonic can have over 30g of carbs- tonic water is very high in sugar. If the bartender adds artificial lime juice and simple syrup, you’re probably well over 50g of sugar in one glass. Avoid the following popular drinks and mix-ins, and you’ll be a low carb pro in no time.

Sweet Wines

• Moscato
  • Port/Sherry
  • Dessert Wines
  • Sangria
  • Zinfandel

Sugary Mixers

• Triplesec

• Whiskey sour mix

• Blue curaçao

• Sugary syrups

• Grenadine

• Frozen margarita mixes

• Flavored alcohol (coconut rum, peach schnapps, Bailey’s, etc.)

• Juices (cranberry, orange, pineapple, tomato, etc.)

• Fruit add-ins (cherries, berries, pineapples, oranges, etc.)

• Syrups (fudge, whipped cream, fruit flavored syrups,
    sweet creams, coconut cream)

(Ethan) #23

And yet this ultimate guide doesn’t answer the question about whether glugoneogenesis is inhibited

(matt ) #24

Note that ethanol consumption leads to an accumulation of NADH. This high concentration of NADH inhibits gluconeogenesis by preventing the oxidation of lactate to pyruvate. In fact, the high concentration of NADH will cause the reverse reaction to predominate, and lactate will accumulate. The consequences may be hypoglycemia and lactic acidosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22524/

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #25

From what I can tell, as long as you stick to distilled spirits with no carbs coming from anything you might mix it with you’re only pausing your progress for the few hours it takes your body to get rid of the alcohol. Intuitively that tells me that if you want to keep moving forward at a decent clip, you’ll want to limit your alcohol intake to a couple of isolated events per week at most. Drinking every day would keep your liver on alcohol removal duty for an inordinate amount of time. I mean it’s conceivable that you’d lose half the week to it if you started drinking soon after work and then factored in the time that your body is spending removing alcohol while you sleep. That’s completely aside from the danger of lowered inhibitions and other health risks associated with alcohol abuse.

Personally, I quite enjoy knocking a few back on the weekends, and I’m just glad there’s some room for that in the keto diet. I plan to limit it to distilled spirits on weekends and in an environment where I can control the foods that are around me in case I suffer a loss of self control.

(Leslie) #26

I’m so happy to read the information in this thread because one of the gurus I follow was saying that any amount of alcohol stops fat burning for 48 hours.
I like my drink. I have a lot less now than in my carb days because, yeah, I feel the buzz, but I still want to be able to enjoy my wine or vodka or bourbon, and I have been, and I’m still losing weight. I’m losing pounds and sizes and my husband cannot keep his hands to himself! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, lol

I have considered doing a keto strip test study of my own. Testing right before my first glass and then after I’m finished just to see what the strip says, but I’ve been fat adapted for a long time and am not certain that ketones in my urine are necessarily a reliable bio marker anymore.

Either way, I’m very happy. I’m down to nearly my youthful weight, I’m 5’2” and 115lbs, whereas in high school I was 98lbs, I still have my drink and I even had nachos at the baseball game on Monday night.

Keto for life! Keto for love(just ask my husband)!

WOW, THANKS!:sunglasses:

(rabia) #28

So weird…I always found Rieslings to be super sweet and also regarded Zinfandels (red) to be on par with Cab/Pinot Noir/Merlot as far as sweetness. Anyone else find a disconnect with the categorization of those 2 items?

(Doug) #29

Rabia, wines will vary within one varietal, i.e. like “red Zinfandels,” so unless tests have been done and the results stated, it may be hard to be sure of exactly what one is getting. Rieslings indeed tend to have substantially more residual sugar, but most other wines have considerably more alcohol, and that accounts for a lot of the similarity in caloric content, often.

Not much related to the above - even very ‘dry’ wines may end up with some degree of perceived sweetness - humans usually perceive the ‘fruit’ aspect in wine taste as sweet.

(Kay baker) #30

Yes I am the same,its either drink alcohol or eat, never both. Usually after a couple of scotch and soda I often go to bed not eating dinner as I really feel full, , but husband can do both…smart boy lol lol. However i must admit that its been about 4 days and havent had a drop…just dont feel like it (at the moment lol lol).

I have just had a night out with the guys from work (Monday this week). Here are the facts: -

My BK were 4.1 on the afternoon before drinking alcohol. Normal for me.
I had 8 double Jack Daniels, 5 double Southern Comforts & 4 double brandys. All with soda water.
I did not cheat with food that day.
When I got home at around midnight, my BK were 0.1.
I next checked them at around 17:30 on Tuesday, they were 4.5.
They have been steady since.

I cannot yet say if I am still losing weight (the rate of loss has been steady up till now). I will find out Monday.
However, I can say that I did have the mother of all hangovers, which is a bit unusual for me.

Also, This is the second time I have done this. The first being around week 3 of keto. The details are very similar to this week, except the hangover part. Last time, I lost 2lb that week, which is one of the worst weight drops I’ve had. Not saying it’s just the alcohol, it could have been a coincidence.

(Mike W.) #32

How are you still alive?!

(Kay baker) #33

Hmmmm, did you really drink all of that?..come on now lol…

(Mike W.) #34

I’m pretty sure he posted something similar a while back. His poor liver…

LOL

I track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth… … even the bits I’m not so proud of!!

(FRANK) #36

Alcohol will not throw you out of ketosis, but it will STOP all fat burning to process the ingested alcohol first. So if your body is not processing fat, it has to be storing it. Not good for someone who wants to lose fat.

(Kay baker) #37

My simplistic way of thinking tells me that after the alcohol has been dealt with then the show will go on. Any idea of how long to get back on board say after 2 scotch and water??

I know the sensible and simple solution would be to give the scotch a miss…nah not going to do that. Id rather really cut down on the food or run around the streets in my pyjamas for 30 minutes lol lol…

(Doug) #38

We get rid of roughly an ounce (or about 20 ml) of alcohol per hour. Depending on the size of those Scotches, I’d say 2 to 4 hours.

(Kay baker) #39

Thanks for that I appreciate the info. . Thats good as I have them in the evening so let the angels do their thing whilst I sleep…lol
Cheers

(Randy) #40

30 oz. of hard liquor and you have a hangover? You don’t say? :wink:

I’ve had many similar evenings in my youth, so no judgement from me. But I have found that by drinking extra water with some salt while drinking reduced my hangovers a lot since being keto.