Can drinking vodka soda PREVENT you from getting into Ketosis?

(Michelle ) #1

I’m curious! If you continue to drink something like a vodka/soda water w/ a splash of lime juice while you’re transitioning into ketosis, if it can prevent you from getting into it? I know it won’t kick you out once your there, but curious if someone were drinking all along?

Thanks to all :slight_smile:

Who told you that? Alcohol immediately throws you out. You’ll flip back when it’s all burnt off without all the hell of when your thrown out for carbs, but don’t think drinking and ketosis get along, they don’t.

(Roy D) #3

The vodka itself will not prevent you from getting into ketosis. (Vodka does not contain any carbs.)

If the soda contains sugar, the soda will prevent ketosis. (Use sugar free soda to prevent this.)

If the amount of lime juice is small, the impact should be minimal.

Your body will burn off the calories from alcohol prior to burning calories from fat, so your weight loss (if that is your goal) may decrease. You may also become less inhibited, and tend to snack more in your “relaxed” state, so that may also slow/halt your weight loss.

Liquors tend to be better for ketosis than beer or sweet wines. (If drinking wine, check the type for carb content. Some wines have many carbs, while others have few.)

(What The Fast?!) #4

I have tested ketones (via blood) after drinking vodka and also after drinking wine, I was still in ketosis. Granted, I was very deep in ketosis before I had anything to drink.

(Marie Dantoni) #5

Alcohol always stimulates carb cravings for me. Ymmv.

(What The Fast?!) #6

Funny, I start drinking and lose all interest in food.

(Marie Dantoni) #7

Wow that sounds like a win-win.

(What The Fast?!) #8

Yes, except that you get drunk way faster and the hangovers are way worse!
I’ve found with keto, that I’ll have 1-2 drinks and not really WANT anything more to drink. It’s like I can’t force it down (which I’m fine with) - I think it’s partly from keto and partly because my brain is like “WASTED CARBS, WASTED CALORIES, KETOSIS!!!” and then I can’t enjoy myself.

(Marie Dantoni) #9

Just enjoy or leave it alone.

(What The Fast?!) #10

Ha, yeah…working on that.

(Dawn Comber) #11

Funny, I start drinking and lose all interest in food.

I wish I was like you @KetoLikeaLady. I am the opposite.

(Scott Telfer) #12

I find good quality vodka/tequila and Soda (as in carbonated water not soft drink) and a thin piece of fresh lime has minimal effect on MY ketosis- especially once adapted. If you enjoy spirit alcohol go for it, imo it’s better than denying yourself something or feeling deprived on keto. Be aware it will distort keto breath analysers for up to 24 hours post consumption. Everyone one is different though, experiment with yourself and record the results :slight_smile: good luck

There are NO carbs in DISTILLED alcohol (sorry, not screaming at you), vodka is distilled.
Soda, Tonic, other mixer - depends on what is in it, how much you ingest and how your transitioning bod handles it.
Beer, Wine, and other fermented alchohol products - does have carbs.
The Dudes have a podcast titled ‘alcohol’
The question will it “prevent getting into” ketosis may depend on all of the other variables. If you’re not really “into ketosis” then you can’t be “kicked out”.
Old VLC “diets” like Atkins suggested no alcohol (and no caffiene) during the introductory (“transition”) period.
I abstained until 2 months in, used BG and ketone monitor to determine my “state” and experimented when a special occassion came up, presenting the opportunity to have some very fine scotch, straight up so no worries about mixers.

(Miss E) #14

I remember on one of the podcasts that they said it won’t kick you out of ketosis but it will slow it down or pause it. When you drink, the liver prioritizes metabolizing and eliminating the alcohol. Whilst doing that it can’t focus on creating ketones.

(Ethan) #15

And that makes me wonder if it also can focus on making glucose. If your ketones drop and your liver won’t make ketones or glucose, could that be an issue?

(Miss E) #16

I don’t think the drop would be long enough to have much effect. Kind of like how carbing before a workout doesn’t have a long term effect because you burn it off. Mind you I’m not sure, good question for the dudes.

(Ethan) #17

People can get really drunk such that it takes hours to clear the alcohol…

(Miss E) #18

True. I’d be curious to know whether a “pause” in ketones would have the same effect as going out of ketosis. I suppose I shouldn’t assume that those in ketosis don’t get smashed :stuck_out_tongue:

(mags) #19

My issue with alcohol is that it lowers my resistance. Suddenly all thoughts of keto eating goes out the window and carbage suddenly starts disappearing down my neck. :expressionless:

(matt ) #20

Soda water = seltzer = club soda. No sugar no calories.