Can anyone recommend a good Fine ground Flaxseed?

(Bansaw) #1

Thinking of making some bread with it, ala Dr. Myhill’s recipe.

(Allie) #2

Better to buy whole seeds and grind them yourself as needed, and just the amount you need.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #3

coffegrinder works best. Same for chia seeds, or small amounts of almond or sunflowerseed flour :slight_smile:

(Allie) #4

Nutribullet is really good too

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #5

really? Hmmm, now I might need to reconsider getting one :thinking:
I have a grinder attachment for my kenwood, it is good for a rough grind (and holds a decent amount in one go), but it goes from rough directly to paste… :sweat_smile:

(Omar) #6

my experience with small grinders and flaxseed is not good.

flaxseed has some oil in it when grinded it forms some paste like powder and stick to dead areas of the grinder.

bread usually consumed in larger quantities. which makes home grinder not practical.

however for one person or for testing purpose small grinders should be OK. as one kilogram of flaxseed makes bread that sustain me for a week.

Also buying this stuff grinded as mentioned above is not good. It is better to grind it close to consumption.

What I do after buying the seeds I go to a grinding shop who is equipped to do the job for small price and good grinding quality. but it will never get fine powder. it will always be corse powder.

flaxseed bread is one of the best thing happened to me and without I was facing difficulties sustaining the keto .

you can realy make one of the best foods ever from health and nutrition point of view in 30 minutes.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #7

Cool when you have a place that can grind it for you :slight_smile:
Keeping it in the fridge or even freezer once grinded is best i find, to prevent the oils from going rancid…

(Bansaw) #8

coffegrinder works best. Same for chia seeds, or small amounts of almond or sunflowerseed flour :slight_smile:

thanks all…
Is there any particular type of coffee grinder the best, or are all coffee grinders created equal and do just about the same job?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #9

I have a super cheap one and it works great, I just would make sure that the knives are as low and far out as possible to prevent stuff from sticking to the corners and bottom of the grinder…

(Janet) #10

Only used occasionally for MIM, but perfectly happy with the Organic flaxseed meal from Trader Joe’s. As with all alternative flours, I keep it in the freezer. Haven’t had rancid flours in the eight years using them.

(Bansaw) #11

thanks Claudia, can I ask the make of your coffee grinder that works great ?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #12

Sure, will tell you when I get home, but since it is Swiss or Italian it might be it is not available where you live :sweat_smile:

But I can take a picture of the inside and out. maybe that helps in choosing…

(Bev Anne Moynham) #13

I grind mine in my Nutri Bullet just like Dr. Myhill does. I always keep some ground flax in the freezer so it won’t go rancid. I make a flax flatbread that is delicious and I also make pancakes with it. I will try the recipe above very soon.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #14

As promised… I really should scrub that little bugger down soon :sweat_smile:

(Bev Anne Moynham) #15

Well I tried Dr. Myhill’s recipe and it didn’t work for me. I The outside was nearly burnt and the inside wasn’t cooked enough. I could keep experimenting but I think I’ll stick to my recipe for foccacia style flatbread make with flaxseed – it turns out well every time.

(Omar) #16

yes

this is my experience too

It looks like flaxseed paste has powerful insulation power. So the heat will not penetrate the surface causing the inner to remain soft or uncooked.

One solution is to bring it out from the oven after say 30 minutes, slice it and introduce it again to the oven for another 30 minutes.

Another solution is not to bake it as large lump but make slices before baking. I mean form it and shape it thin to begin with.

Another recipe mistake I fond is that no need for the oils or the eggs.

simply just flaxseed flower baking soda salt and water.

nothing else.

other recipes will work but unnecessary.

A Vitamix.
Grinds 125g into fine flour very easily.
OK you have to do two grinds per recipe.
But it’s way, way cheaper than buy re-ground.