Calling all slow losers!

(M Dk) #61

This is my first post so bear with me. Have you considered Intermittant Fasting on top of Keto? We were stuck for awhile and shortening our eating window has us back on track with about 3 lbs per week steady loss. This window can move around during your day to accommodate schedules. Eat within a 5 to 6 hour window and finish 4 hours before sleeping. And if we still get stuck like what happened lsst week, we add in a complete day of water fasting. Bulletproof coffee or tea does help after rising to keep that window tight. It amounts to about 1 to 2 meals per day so automatically less food but we do eat as much Keto as we want. No restricting quantity, the Keto has done that for us due to the high good fat content. Maybe this approach will help. Make your good luck! You can do this.

(EL) #62

I am with you! Started on 1/20/17 200lbs 5’6
I have since lost 30lbs and have been stalled since July 20th
So, in a month and a half have lost and gained the same 2 lbs.
I have been IF ing and watching carbs but just added in a bit more exercise.
Hoping I will get more results with moving more.
Oh, and I am 48 yo

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #63

In several lectures I’ve watched, Dr. Phinney urges people who are feeling stuck to first, lower their carbs, and second, eat more fat. For what it’s worth. I’m still new at this.

(antoniette koshykar) #64

I’m new at this also. 6 weeks and I’ve only lost 10 lbs, with 30 to go. I know how you feel, and yesterday was a particularly bad day. I actually ate a slice of sprouted bread and hated myself afterwards, but it was the only bread I’ve eaten since beginning keto. Then I came home and realized I’m okay, the world won’t end, and I have to get right back to it. It’s particularly hard when you see posts about others losing like 30 lbs in a month, I thought I’d be farther along g by now.

I’m not following macros but I dont eat very much and some days I do Intermittant fasting as well. I avoid sugar of any kind or fruits, but I do drink about 4 Oz of kombucha every other day for my gut. I have to stay focused and learn keto properly. One of my issues is having ADD, is tracking everything is hard for me. But I do have less brain fog and bloating than I used to!!

(Carpe salata!) #65

10lb must feel good already. Congrats on a great start.

(Cathy) #66

I am in the same position as you, slow loser. I keep telling myself the same things and most days I have to tell myself, just keep going. I feel so much better mentally and physically that I am not going to give up and you don’t either, we will get there.

(Jen) #67

Isn’t it good to know we’re not alone?
Like I said before… Sometimes in the world of dramatic instagram posts and before and after photos, it can really feel that way. But I’m glad I started this thread because now I know for sure… we’re not. :slight_smile:

(Leslie ) #68

I think 14 pounds is amazing! I started the keto WOE on July 19 and lost a few pounds. That first month I lost, I think, 7 pounds…and then nothing for the next couple weeks. I kept thinking of all the people who were losing so much so quickly, and I wanted so badly to be one of them. But I am losing (down 20 now), so I’m good with that.

Your list of the “usual” things is great! We all need those reminders regularly. I bet if you looked at a pic of yourself in the same pose and same lighting as before you started, you would see a difference. :slight_smile: And the best gauge of course isn’t the scale, but our clothes. Do your jeans feel looser? You’re doing fabulous!

If you are really missing bread there is paleo and keto bread you can buy. I keep some in the freezer. I had a sandwich the day I bought it and perhaps another the next day and have not touched it since July.

I think its funny you mentioned sprouted “healthy” bread rather than potato bread or pasta. I find I miss the moderate carb items the most. The sushi, the fruits that I do not permit myself such as the stone fruits. While real pizza is my favorite, I am more ok not eating it. I guess because there is no substitute for a peach

(MooBoom) #70

Hi @lostinyonkers, I too am in my 10th week and have lost a total of 17 pounds, only a little more than you. I have 44 pounds to go. Again, like you, I lost big initially and then the scales have been dropping around a half pound to a pound per week. I would find that discouraging if I focused on the number too much, and I have considered throwing the scales away (except I’m a numbers girl and that’ll never happen!).

What keeps me going when I see small drop after small drop? The following.

1. I sleep better, have more energy during the day and have better mental acuity. This is allowing me to function at a level I have not operated at since I was a teenager (I’m now in my mid 30’s). My body genuinely loves eating this way. My mind loves it. Everything about my physiology is improved.
  2. This is a way of life, not a diet, not a restriction, not a chore, not a challenge. It feels normal and natural and right.
  3. I am fitting into clothes I never thought I would be able to fit into again, and people are noticing I’m looking healthy, well and strong.
  4. Would I like the weight to come off faster? Yes. Will it matter how fast it came off in a year from now? No. Like I said, this is a way of life so things will happen when they happen. A small drop followed by a small drop followed by a stall and another small drop is still a downward trend, and I figure it took me 5 years to put this weight on I have to be a bit kind to my body and let it do its thing in its own time.
  5. A KCKO attitude really does help!

I reckon you’re doing pretty great, please keep me posted on your progress seeing as we are both 10 week buddies :smile:

(Julie Pegler) #71

Jen, I am right there with you. I have tried fasting 24 hours, only eating one meal a day for weeks, I have tried going back to the beginning, trying to get “Knocked out” of ketosis because the first week of Keto I lost 7 pounds, but that didn’t work. I tried forcing myself to eat three keto meals a day even though I am not hungry. I gained 7 pounds in ONE week that WAS not pms, no other reason other then I went from fasting and eating one meal a day to eating three meals a day. I teach yoga so I am somewhat active, I teach 5-7 classes a week. I am in the same boat as you, I am 5’7 1/2" and I weigh 240. I had a miscarriage in April and gained 20 pounds while pregnant, and cannot seem to lose any. :frowning: I only weigh myself once a week or so, lately less because I can tell I am not losing. I saw a girl in FB keto group lose like 60-75 pounds in like 5 months and she said she did it dairy free keto. I am thinking that my body just doesn’t do well with dairy as far as weight loss. I have had mild success with paleo but super slow. I think some people are just slower losers then others. And I know there are the rare few that eating keto might not work for. I cut out 90% of my dairy yesterday, and I noticed no bloated feeling, and that my joints weren’t sore. So maybe there is something to dairy? Let me just say I am jealous of your 14 pounds lol. It took me 5 months to lose 10 pounds and then I gained 7 back in one week. You know that quote
“Comparison is the thief of joy” ? I get it. But I feel your pain too. I am tired of seeing people who have done keto way less time as me and lost 3 times the amount as I have. I have tried everything but less dairy. So that Is the road I am embarking on, with hubs. It’s not easy cuz I love half and half or heavy cream in my coffee! Also dairy is super inflammation causing and that can keep you from losing. I am also playing around with both Paleo and keto, because I think my body might do better, since Keto isn’t working for me. FYI you’ve lost an average of 2 pounds a week. IN ANY OTHER DIET that’s super successful, and a great track record. Course we know others who have lost 5 pounds a week here and there, but maybe we aren’t the type who loses that fast? Consider where you would be if you hadn’t stayed on track? I say as the guys do “Keep calm and Keto on!”

(Jen) #72

Nice to meet you @MooBoom ! Thank you so much for sharing your tips on how to keep going. I have a lot of those same NSVs and you’re right — we’re doing pretty great in the big scheme of things I suppose!

Wow @Julie I’m sad to read your story because it sounds so much like MY story. I was just thinking about dairy this morning because it is just about the only thing I haven’t tried as well. I don’t eat tons and tons of dairy, but I do find it so much easier to up my fat intake with something like heavy cream or cheese, rather than oils or actual meat fat. I have huge resolve when it comes to living keto, but it pains me to think of having to be dairy-free keto. UGH.

Maybe you and I need to start a dairy-free support group! :smiley:

Actually, I’m in my 12th week now and have gone up a couple pounds this last week, so my average is more like 1 pound a week — if you want to look at it like that (even though most of that was in the first couple of weeks). For making such a huge change in my life, I’d certainly hope to see more than that by now, but I’m not giving up.

(Julie Pegler) #73

better then my half a pound a month :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jen) #74

:grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Hillary ) #75

I am with you girl. I have been stuck in the 180’s FOREVER!!! I gave up alcohol three weeks ago and this week cut down to one meal a day. I’ve came too far to give up though. My skin has cleared up,I wake up with more energy, my anxiety has improved by about 80%, my confidence has improved. Not to mention my grocery bill has been cut in half. Even though the scale doesn’t move too fast, the way I feel makes up for it. So all we can do is KCKO.

(Polly ) #76

I agree that it is better to err on the low side. Thank you for your advice and insight. I still have a few things to figure out but am having some success so I am encouraged.

(Polly ) #77

Thanks for the advice.I think that I am getting the hang of this. I’m finding it a little hard to eat as much fat as I need and keep my carbs and protein within the limits I set up. (fat=80% Protein=15%; Carbs=5%… (calories=1300)).

(Edith) #78

Hi Michelle,

A week or so back I mentioned thinking I needed to eat more animal fat to help with the hunger. Well, I found I actually needed more protein. I upped my protein to 80-90g per day and my body is much happier. Did adding more animal fat work for you?

Edith

(Cara Lee Evans) #79

Me too! I am 71, chronic back pain (4 back surgeries), hypothroid and just figuring out that the “good” carbs I have counted on for healthy eating for years are definitely at the source of my weight issues. I lost 50 pounds the past 6 months but ZERO the past 3 weeks!! I am sticking with it but disappointed! I have trouble not eating enough calories and this weekend have upped my water!
I hpoe we both can see results soon…good luck!

(MooBoom) #80

Sounds like you have hit a plateau- this is normal and a good thing. It means your body is adjusting to the new smaller you and taking some time to heal a few things. Just keep at it, and eventually you will start to lose again. Every plateau is a big success!