Calling all slow losers!

(Siobhan) #41

Yes’m, here’s a more up to date one.
Right now I’m fluctuating within a 4 pound range (155-159) which is usually what happens inbetween actively losing.
I started at 221 on August 12th 2016.
This isn’t even super accurate, as I weigh pretty infrequently, but it does give a good idea about how it kind of stalls out for a long time.

EDIT: I will also mention I’m 5’1" and probably about ~100lbs LBM
I have fairly low insulin (4.2), and have lost half of the weight (30lbs) over the course of 9 months. The other half from mid August 2016 to end of December 2016 so it has obviously slowed since I started.
It is important to consider if you have higher insulin losing can take a longer time because you have less access to body fat until it lowers.
So it mostly comes down to KCKO at least for me :slight_smile:

(jane greer) #42

I am also frustrated. As I said before, I have been strict Keto for 10 weeksnow and have only lost 8 pounds, but most of that was in the first 4 weeks. I have been in a stall for the past 2 weeks not losing pounds or inches. I started doing a IF 16:8 fasting 4 days ago and still nothing! and to make things worse, now my blood testing doesn’t even show I am in Ketosis anymore!!! I don’t know what to do anymore!!

(Michelle Presnell) #43

Maybe that’s what I need to do more animal fat! My go to is dairy… and plant fat, i will do the same as you! Wish you luck, keep me posted?

(Polly ) #44

The calculator on the site seems like a good one. It calculated that I need to eat a lot fewer calories than the one I used on my phone app. It suggested that I eat fewer than 1300 calories a day and the app suggested that I eat 1475. Quite a difference!! It also suggested that I eat more protein than I thought I should eat.
It is so confusing. I hope I can get it together and figured out.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Keep protein moderate, to avoid the excess being converted to glucose. And eat plenty of fat, so that you’re not hungry. And don’t count calories—as long as your carbohydrate consumption is under 20 grams a day, your body will use the fat you feed it together with its stored fat to power your daily activities. You can eat a surprising amount of calories and still lose weight, as long as you’re getting enough fat while keeping carbs low.

(KCKO, KCFO) #46

Those are different. You might try not tracking just eating carbs at 20 g, protein at .8 per kg of BMI, and fat to satiety for a week or so and see how it goes.

While calories do matter eventually, when you are just starting out it is less stressful to count those along with trying to hit the macros. Just hit those macros for a while and see how your body responds. Also realize it takes your body a while to become a fat burner rather than a sugar burner, but KCKO and it will happen.

Good luck on sorting it out.

(Edith) #47

Deal, but if you promise to do the same. :wink:

Thanks for this graph and posting, it helps. Relax, KCKO…time is part of the equation! I get so impatient sometimes. Thank you for the visual reminder!

(James ) #49

Hi I spend a lot of time lurking and this is my first post. I have been on keto for 6 weeks and lost 10 pounds. My blood glucose has been slow to come down as well. I have been type 2 for 15 years. I have lost the same 50 pounds over and over for the last 30 years. The difference now is I feel great. And for me that is more important. I focus on that. With the hope that one day I will lose that 50 pounds and never see it again.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Welcome to the forums. These are good folks. Those fifty pounds might go faster than you expect. But concentrate on getting those serum numbers down, first and foremost. Don’t focus on the scale; it can mess with your mind. And don’t worry about your calorie count, either. Eat enough fat to keep yourself satisfied, and the results will surprise you.

(Siobhan) #51

Hi! It’s pretty common to initially lose water weight when first going keto and then stall out for a little while until your body fully adapts to burning fat. This can take a few months! So concentrate on non-scale victories like shinier hair, and more energy, less hunger, or just the delicious food :wink:
Your body has to literally switch fuel sources during the adaption phase, not to mention repairing immediate damage, balancing hormones, lowering insulin, etc
Keep in mind it’s doing a lot of work even if it doesn’t seem like it right now!

(jane greer) #52

Thank you for the reply! I don’t have a problem with the diet and I do feel great, so I will keep on! Thank you for your comments! It really helps!

(jane greer) #53

Okay since I’m new I don’t know but, what does kcko stand for? LOL

(Edith) #54

Keep Calm and Keto On :slightly_smiling_face:

(jane greer) #55

I have been looking at my notes that I took when I first started and I was eating 30 grams of carbohydrates then whereas now I’m below 20. At 30 I was losing weight at 20 I’m not. Wonder if I should up my carbs which sounds absolutely crazy.

(jane greer) #56

Thank you!

(Linda Culbreth) #57

James, that is awesome! So glad you are feeling better.

Honestly this is the easiest diet I have ever been on (LC/Keto since April). I have no idea how many calories a day I am eating. Calories in Calories out does not work otherwise you would not be here.

Ignore the calories, moderate protein which means do not eat a 3rd or 4th piece of chicken because you think protein is good for you and healthier than fat, it is not. As for fat, do not go crazy on the fat bombs or macadamia nuts but otherwise eat fat with your meal until you are mostly satisfied

I personally find IF does not matter, whether I eat two meals or 1 meal I do not see a difference. Longer fasts do seem to work and I weigh myself 36 hours after I end the fast and that weight, usually 2-6 lbs lost seems to stay

(Ellen Nathan) #59

You need to monitor your diet, this is the best way to figure out what is going wrong. I use FatSecret app on my phone (its free to monitor macros, unlike other apps) When my loss slows down, I monitor what I eat and a few things may be happening happening:

1. Too many calories
  2. Too many carbs
  3. change up your workout routine to add muscle, or add muscle building to your day
    4 too many of the same foods, believe it or not, your body adapts so change it up a bit.
    5 not enough fiber

These can slow weight loss, especially if more than two are present in your life. I added muscle building because it really makes a difference to weight loss. Just imagine, burn calories while sitting!! LOL

I think probably one of the greatest struggles for many is the expectation that ketogenic eating produces “fast” results. I’m not sure where we get that idea, but I see it frequently in groups online. I suspect it comes from the constant barrage of pictures and success stories that make it look so streamlined. However, we know that physiologically a healthy adult can expect to lose on average between .5 lb and 2lb per week. Your current average is 1.4 lbs per week, which is above the median point of that range. At this point, dedication and trust in the process really begins to matter way more than how far you have to go.