Caffeine

(Tsering M) #1

Couple years ago when I first attempted keto I was watching some video posts by Stephanie Person - she’s absolutely against caffeine if one’s goal is to be keto adapted.

I don’t drink coffee but in the mornings I make a pot of green tea, black tea, ginger, (sometimes ginseng) - not too strong on the caffeine teas bc I get nauseous if too strong - currently I am not healthy by a lot of measures but do love! my tea in the morn; will caffeine in this amount stall my progress?

[she also advises against nuts & dairy - but I am not eating them currently bc of my thyroid issues.]

I personally don’t have issues with coffee or caffeine. I think you will need to test and see the effect on you.

By the way, do you make the gorgeous fatty tea with the grass fed yak butter? Famous recipe in Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan? That’s where Dave Asprey got his inspiration for the recipe of bulletproof coffee.

(Tom) #3

It really depends on your own tolerance and sensitivity to it. I for one, don’t have a problem with caffeine, which is good since I’m keeping a small tropical county and a synthetics lab in Newark from collapsing in bankruptcy with my daily caffeine intake. If it messed with fat loss, I’d be buggered.

(Tsering M) #4

Yes, I heard Dave Asprey got the idea while climbing Mt. Kailash in Tibet.

Salted Butter tea is our staple & is my fav, but currently I am abstaining from dairy😫

The tea used is a special tea that comes in bricks with lots of stems (not very strong color; slightly smoky).

We are migrants to Kathmandu (a valley & the capital city) from the area near the Annapurna mountain range, although we still have many relations still residing there (3534 meters or there about) . Yak (a misnomer bc Yak is male; dri is the female) butter is very hard to get hold of these days. What we can get hold of (we get it sewn in yak leather pouch - how it’s stored traditionally) is used to rub our elderly father’s back every night - his generation believes we get more nutrients rubbing it on our skin than by eating it.

So sadly we now make the tea with regular cow or buffalo butter.

Traditionally we used lake salt crystals; now we use iodized salt.

[recipe is put a dollop of unsalted butter (if using salted, adjust according), salt, & a dash of milk (I prefer full cream) into a blender, pour hot black tea over it. Blend till frothy.

Kukki (sp?) cha is stemmy. Lapsang souchong is smoky. I wonder if those would replicate the flavor.

Traditionally we used a wooden vessel to blend the tea till frothy, now we use electric bldnders.]

The tea I currently drink is just plain tea - a morning ritual.

I used to watch Stephanie’s videos too and she’s making broad statements based on the fact that she’s a consultant and YouTuber dealing with a relatively large number of people and based on her experience those can affect some people, so her advice to avoid them is similar to the advice here to keep carbs at or under 20 grams because that’s effective for the overwhelming majority of people.

Echoing @Daisy and @Fiorella, it is an individual thing, so if someone is having problems, those are good things to look at.

(Tom) #6

Very interesting stuff.

(joe churchill ) #7

I get a glucose spike from caffeine. But it does not impair my fat burning.

I did a write up on my observations here
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/caffeine-and-blood-glucose/5286/13?u=jbchurchill

(Jo Lo) #8

I follow Ted Naiman’s info. I think he’s got more ‘business’ going on than Steph does…

Breakfast is defined as a big cup of coffee (nothing else).

(Patrick B.) #9

I’ll run my own n=1 tomorrow. I never bothered to think about caffeine hurting my diet, and personally, I don’t think it is because I drink about 800 mg of caffeine a day…

You can’t eat butter? Do you have digestive problems with it? How sad.

Nepal has incredibly nutritious grass fed butter. I’d be drinking that gorgeous butter tea every day! Yum! :yum:

(Tsering M) #11

Avoiding casein until I have my thyroid hormone level optimized. (I need to figure out whether it’s eggs or ghee or something else that triggered flare ups.)

After finally returning to live in my home country, not being able to drink our tea — which households fill big thermos with every morning — is indeed tragic :tired_face:

So sad indeed. Nepalese butter tea is delicious!

(chris.coote) #13

One thing I learned recently (thanks 23 and me) was that I metabolize caffeine faster than average. I’ve been fat adapted for several months, and caffeine doesn’t prevent ketosis. Just wondering if any folks having trouble with caffeine know I they are fast or slow metabolizers?

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #14

I wonder how badly the tablespoon of coffee grounds I just swallowed will affect me. I think my Keurig© is on the blink.

(Jacquie) #15

23andMe results showed that I’m a slow metabolizer, so I only have 1-2 espressos a day and nothing later than early afternoon and I’m fine. :slight_smile:

I love you Jacquie…you had me at “espresso” :heart_eyes:

(Wes Davis) #18

I am in Kathmandu for the next few weeks. I am wondering if anyone knows where i can get grass fed butter?

(Jennifer) #19

My absolute favorite tea… might need to try with some butter.

(Gary Eckman) #20

I think when it comes to Caffeine, like people have already said, it come to your own personal tolerances. I personally skip breakfast and have coffee with cream through until lunch.

(Tsering M) #21

Shoot! I didn’t log in for a very long time:(

You would have to have connections to the villages, I think.

Just yesterday I discovered an online delivery site that sells ghee - Kathmandu Organics. Next time you are here, perhaps they could procure for you? And/or try the farmer’s markets.

At our house we are only able to get very little grass fed yak butter from manang, & we have plenty connections there.