Bummer, dietary fat causes us to get fat, according to new study

(Paul Melzer) #1

I’m ready to duck for cover as this report is shot to pieces. Btw, there’s a link to the study in the article.

(Rocky B) #2

And, as we know, mice are exactly like humans in all ways but appearance. Right? Right.

(Paul Melzer) #3

And the study was probably funded by Kelloggs. :open_mouth:

(Lonnie Hedley) #4

I’ve seen people that look like rats. Your statement doesn’t hold water. :joy::rofl:

(Ron) #5

I find it interesting all the escape lines they print also.:rofl:

Since food consists of fat, protein and carbs, it has proven difficult to pinpoint exactly what aspect of the typical diet leads to weight gain.

Part of the problem is that it is very difficult to do studies on humans where what they eat is controlled for long enough periods to work out what are the most important factors, however studies on animals that are similar to us can help point in the right direction.

A clear limitation of this study is that it is based on mice rather than humans.

(Brian) #6

Yup… as hundreds, maybe thousands of us continue to pile on the fat and lose weight. Who’d a thunk?!

There is no shortage of news stories. They’ll say most anything someone is willing to pay for. Pick your subject, there’s not much difference…

(Ellison) #7

It’s notoriously difficult to get mice and rats into ketosis. Requires fasting, or >90% fat diet. This study only shows that dietary fat makes mice fat.

I am reading “Lies My Doctor Told Me” by Dr. Ken Berry. And, “The Salt Fix” by Dr. James DiNicolantonio. As a Newbie to Keto–these are some very Important books that look behind the backs of researchers, pharma, and food industry who are hiding the truth from us.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

As I posted in the other two threads about this article, the article is not nearly as nuanced as the abstract. The full study is not actually published yet. It can be viewed if you have a subscription to Elsevier, but I’m not willing to shell out for it.

I suspect that the researchers may have made an unwarranted logical leap, but their results might equally be due to a peculiarity of mouse metabolism. I’d love to see a repeat of this study on rats, because I am more familiar with rat biology. And of course, it would be expensive but highly interesting to do a similar study on people.

(Allie) #10

Yesterday was one of my random days of tracking. I had 210g fat, just a normal day. As I say to my overweight carb addicted alcoholic BF when he has the nerve to try and criticise my food, “does it look like it makes me fat?” my body is all the evidence need.

(Terence Dean) #11

I’d love to see this study repeated on politicians especially health ministers. We might pay more attention to the findings. :rofl:

(Alec) #12

Yeah, but I bet the mice are doing it wrong, and that’s why they are gaining fat. I think they need to post their macros on this forum so we can all see where they are going wrong and we can advise on how to do it right.

Who knows their email address?

(Terence Dean) #13

j.speakman@abdn.ac.uk

I found that here: https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(18)30392-9

Quote from the summary:

“We exposed C57BL/6 mice to 29 different diets varying from 8.3% to 80% fat, 10% to 80% carbohydrate, 5% to 30% protein, and 5% to 30% sucrose. Only increased dietary fat content was associated with elevated energy intake and adiposity.”

Those macros don’t make sense to me. :stuck_out_tongue: Ah hang on I see the problem, they gave them 10% carbs, that’s way too high!!! Bwhaha! Imagine that… a mouse on Keto… :rofl:

They’d be getting cramp in their calf muscles while doing their mouse wheel exercises, and complaining about there not being enough fat on their lamb chops, not to mention spending days in bed from fatigue, and weakness in their legs. For the first few weeks they’d be a mess but by week 10 they’d be doing one footed press-ups… :rofl: or swinging from the mouse wheel with their tails! :keto: :mouse:

(Ron) #14

I bet their following that damn CICO philosophy!:rofl:

(Terence Dean) #15

Sssh I don’t think Gabe has seen this thread yet…! :wink:

(Ron) #16

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Ellison) #17

“Who knows their email address?”

I would think the dolphins might have their email.

(Alec) #18

Yeah, but who knows the dolphins email address?

(bulkbiker) #19

And when the writers of the paper say this

“One interpretation of why we did not find these effects in mice might be because mice have different food intake and macronutrient regulation systems from humans, and that such systems are not strongly conserved across species’”

You have to ask yourself what the point of the study was in the first place…!

(Alec) #20

You found the mice’s email address? Outstanding work!