Bulletproof Coffee

(Daniel Shapiro) #81

Very similar for me, I started Keto just before thanksgiving and was loving how I felt and the results I’ve been having. When I went home over the holidays, hanging out with buddies and carelessly eating made me gain some weight back and generally brought back some of those carb addiction symptoms. Since being back now and getting myself back on track, I’ve started feeling better again and losing weight daily.

On the subject of BPC, for me I can have it as my morning meal and not be hungry at all for the rest of the day, but sometimes i’m in the mood for actual food(Bacon…). The way I make it is, 1 Tbsp Kerrygold Butter, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 Tbsp heavy cream, and if i’m in the mood to make it a little sweeter, i’ll add a very small amount of vanilla extract. Once I tossed a scoop of peanut butter in the blender with it, gave it an interesting nutty flavor. Although it really is different for everyone, my older brother who also is on keto doesn’t drink much BPC just because he really likes breakfast foods.

(Michal Ciechan) #82

+1 I use my personal blender as well, and use the cups for drinking, have 2/3 so that it lasts without cleaning until next dishwasher run Just rinse the blades straight after use in hot water seems to do the job for me.

So - I have been working on this the past few days. Here is what I have come up with.

First - I picked up a Nutri Ninja = awesome but loud especially in the a.m. It works well can cleans easily with minimum fuss. I find it less wieldy and easier to clean than an immersion wand blender.

Next I use my OXO coffee maker and brew 4 cups water line which makes 2 x 12 oz tall coffees. I also grind by own beans with a Hario Skerton ceramic burr grinder. These are simple machines the yield a great result. No doubt, it is a PITA, but I faithfully toil every morning in anticipation of great coffee. I also cannot justify the cost of an electric model.

My version of BPC at the moment is a spin off of Unicorn Fuel…

• 1 Tbs MCT oil (thinking about trying Brain Octane next)
  • 1 Tbs HWC
  • 1/2 tsp maca powder
  • shakes cinnamon
  • shake of turmeric

Note: I have not tried butter. I have a mental block about the taste. Maybe tomorrow I will give it a try. I also do not add any sweeteners but wonder how cacao powder would add to the flavor.

I add the ingredients to the 24 oz Ninja container and have it ready for when the coffee is done brewing.

I then add in hot coffee and blend away - varying pulsing and constant blending for about a min. Again - it is loud in the a.m. and I worry it will wake my kids!

I pour my first 12 oz cup and put he lid on back on. When ready for my second cup, I’ll hit it again in the blender and warm it up in the microwave to get it hot. (tepid coffee makes me cranky)

This seems work work pretty good for me, as I have gotten into a rhythm over the past few days. I do not feel hungry for a few hours after. I am anxious to see how this time changes as I stay in keto.

Cheers!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #84

I mark my cream cheese bricks this way! :heart:

(I like to post memes!) #85

@Brenda Great idea!!

I’ve tried the brain octane and noticed no difference in my mood, cognition, hunger, or weight loss versus regular mct oil so i would suggest saving your cash. it seems that many in the forum question the benefit of mct oil so those posts/topics might be of use. Honestly the only reason i continue to use mct oil is because it keeps me regular…lol.

(Guardian of the bacon) #87

That would be a very good reason for me to start using it. I have some in the cupboard somewhere but I’ve just been using coconut oil cause I like the taste.

(Louise ) #88

I second the use of MCT / Brain Octane for regularity in my BPC!

(James van Kessel) #89

I use the same, a hand frother from Walmart. Works great to emulsify and froth a bit like a latte, and it’s so much easier than the hand blender which is to big or messy for some cups.

(Bacon for the Win) #91

brilliant!

(Evan Lambert) #92

I love bulletproof coffee, We can get Vitamin A, magnesium, Pantothenic Acid and phosphorus from these hot liquids. Glass blender are available for making quick bulletproof cooffe. Coffee is best ingredients to boost your energy level. Not to drink lot’s of but you can drink at least 1 or 2 times per a day.

(bilan) #93

Hello,

I started the ketogenic way since 2 weeks. I drink a bulletproof ( coffee with 1 Tbsp bio extra coconut oil) for breakfast. It give me energy for the morning.
But I read on a website that coconut oil would not be as good as we thought, for health. Especially for cholesterol.

So my question is: For people who drink a BPC since long time: What about your cholesterol level ? Did you check it ?

I really worry because I already have a little bit cholesterol ( 40y old). And I already avoid to add butter because of that. Thank you

(Sheryl) #94

Maybe try to share pics on instagram. I would like to see what others are doing for their keto meals.

(bulkbiker) #95

about 14,000 posts on those two…