Bullet Proof Coffee

(Becky Searls) #41

Lol I LOVE that feeling when it kicks in. My friend calls it the zoom zoom of butter coffee but also notes that sometimes this is followed by the zoom doom lol

(Candace) #42

I’m going to have to try adding flavors like cinnamon or vanilla. However, as I stated before, I enjoy it as is. I think it is just a personal thing, you find ways that work for you and go with it. If BPC isn’t something that you enjoy, not a biggie. Personally, I have never felt it ‘kick in’, I just know that when I drink it, I am typically fine until 1:00 or 2:00, before eating :slight_smile:

(Becky Searls) #43

Are you one for a daily workout? Bc for me it gives me ENDLESS energy during my workouts

(Candace) #44

No, not yet. I am waiting until I’ve been doing this for a few weeks before I start working out, but I’ve never been one that enjoys it. I know it is good for me, and necessary, but I would rather do just about anything else (except my homework). LOL In January, I did Country Heat 3 times a week, and did ok with that, so I will start back with that. Then move into something a little more challenging. Once the weather improves, my husband and I go hiking on the weekends - that is something I actually enjoy.

However, I am also one of those people who can drink an entire pot of strong coffee and go right to sleep - I don’t know if that has anything to do with why I do not get a kick or not, but it could be. I drink it because it is good for me and I enjoy it :smile:

(Jane Reed) #45

Here’s an alternative:. almond milk. I decided I needed more fat today so I buzzed up some hot almond milk, a bit of vanilla extract, a little cocoa powder, a tablespoon of unsalted butter, a splash of MCT oil, and some sweetener. It’s a very mild and pleasant hot beverage.

(Becky Searls) #46

Ha! I am the same! It both wakes me puts me to sleep! Weird stuff!! <3

(Becky Searls) #47

Yum! Thank you, always looking for good non-coffee hot beverages! I also do golden milk sometimes with heavy cream or full fat coconut milk :slight_smile:

Golden Milk Recipe (one of a million on the internet but think I liked this version. Sometimes I just do tumeric in hot cream, frothed. Supposedly tumeric is also great for inflammation and of course warm milk like stuff makes it easier to sleep so triple threat!

(Julian Broaddus) #48

I do a few things.

1. I put a tablespoon of cocoa powder in it.
  2. I use either a half teaspoon of lecithin or an egg yolk as an emollient to keep the oil from separating from the coffee.
  3. Use a good quality stevia extract, as little as possible, to sweeten just a bit.

Always use a good quality coffee, and always use a blender to completely mix it.

(Craig) #49

OMG!

Just tried this today. Instantly addicted.

Thanks Jane.

(Tony Godfrey) #50

I have never liked it with butter but love it with heavy cream. Have been doing it for years and continue to lose weight. Whether it still meets the definition of Bullet Proof Coffee - I don’t know

(Kellyn ) #51

Does egg yolk really keep the fat from separating? Does it leave an egg taste? Is it okay to eat raw eggs?

I have added an egg to my bpc during an egg fast. Very reluctant to try, but no egg taste and makes it super creamy/frothy. Since the coffee is pretty hot I feel ok eating the egg “uncooked” since it really isn’t raw. Not sure about the fat separation issue as mine doesn’t usually last long enough for that to be an issue :wink:

I was a straight black coffee purist for years. I like to grind beans for each cup as I make it (use an Aeropress).
I started off with a little butter, cacao and cardamom. Lately I’ve been dropping in Kerrygold, coconut oil and/or heavy cream, cacao, maybe cardamom, and definitely a pinch of sea salt. I hit it with the immersion blender and froth it up. Love it.

I love eggs but I don’t want to drink them so I think I’ll skip on adding that, though.

Butter coffee comes from the ghee coffee traditions of the Himalayas.

It is so handy for Intermittent Fasting - it keeps me going well for 6-8 hours before eating due to hunger.

It takes awhile to figure out your own best recipe. Through experimentation I’ve found my perfect recipe, and I don’t use a blender because I cannot stand loud machines in the first part of my day.

I now usually make my morning coffee with about a cup of slightly diluted strong stovetop espresso plus (on fasting days) 2 tblsp half n half, 1 tbsp HWC, and 2 tblsp coconut oil or a mix of coconut oil & ghee, plus cinnamon or cardamom, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and 1 teaspoon erythritol which brings all the flavors together. On non-fasting days, I go a bit a lighter on the fat.

I put the brewed coffee in a saucepan and add the dairy from the fridge over medium heat so that the dairy warms while I put the fat and flavorings in my tall latte mug. Then, I pour the hot liquid into the bottom third of the cup and then stir to melt the oil and blend the seasonings before adding the rest.

Then, I simply use a big spoon with my mug and stir before each sip the first few minutes until what’s left is less of an oil slick, then I savor & sip the rest without needing to stir.

I think the MCT oil product is waaaaaay too refined/unnatural and the fact that it is a mix of palm and coconut oil adds to its processed quality. Even though Bulletproof’s MCT is completely chemical-free and solvent-free and most on the market are manufactured via chemical/solvent refining - Bulletproof’s MCT’s triple distillation process and oil blending is highly industrial. I can’t imagine any traditional Polynesian or Caribbean or other tropical cultures’ mixing of oils involved any of that. So, I stick with virgin coconut oil and my brain LOVES it.

I have three kids… .the blender noise is NOTHING compared to that first thing in the morning. :laughing:

(Annika) #56

I love my bulletproof coffee. It´s so good, I use butter and brain octain, mct oil. I sometimes make it with kokonutoil but it´s not half as good. The variaties are many though so you´ll probably finns a way to make it your way.

(Mike W.) #57

BPC has now become a Sunday morning “treat” for me. I started losing weight again when I stopped drinking it daily. Just too many calories.

Yep! I tweak mine constantly. It’s fun to experiment with it. My most recent addition is Celtic Sea salt.

hahaha, true! I have nannied and auntied a number of kids and mornings are HIGH ENERGY times :slight_smile:

(Madge Boldt) #60

I agree! Don’t eat or drink anything you don’t like. There are plenty of other really good and tasty ways to get your fat in.

Coconut oil melted, with cocoa powder and some sweetener, then hardened in ice cube trays. Try that. Have a chocolate with your coffee! If you’re not a sweetener person, there are other coconut/MCT oil recipes out there.