Bubly Sparkling Water (Pepsico company)

(Denise) #1

Really had to have something besides water, just for a treat on occasion. I think the only thing the concerned me was that it had “natural flavor” added so what did that mean exactly? I like the label when I clicked on the link for Natural Flavors, and got what you see in the pic. Sounds like a “legal way” to put anything you want in your recipe. It tastes great, and probably no harm done, but it aggravates me what the food industry can get away with.

(Bob M) #2

There’s also this, about La Croix:

Don’t take away my flavored bubbly water!

(Denise) #3

That’s what I say Bob, but in order for fruit juice, which I mean truly natural to be used, I figured there would have to be some carbs :frowning: I don’t know which is more dangerous, carbs or chemicals. Sounds stupid for sure but I do wonder.

I really like the Blueberry/Pomegranate one from Bubly, and the price for 8 of them was 3.88 which was good for me anyway. I didn’t look at the label on the La Croix but I will next time I’m down there. I like adding the least little bit of my stevia powder (that’s all it takes) but I don’t like a sort of soda called Zevia because yuck, they put way too much stevia in those.

(Denise) #4

It’s funny how these big companies are competing for the customers that are into health and fitness. Look how fast keto started appearing on shelves. But they don’t quite fit the profile of “healthy” because they aren’t willing to spend their billions to truly make health drinks for us.

(Bob M) #5

We do have a device which creates unflavored, carbonated water. We could go back to using that, but then we’d have to figure out how to add flavors. Like you, I can’t tell what’s worse: fruit juice or chemicals.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

As the Dudes like to say, follow the money. Over the years, it has become clear that, in the U.S. at least, the nutrition labelling laws are increasingly being re-written for the benefit of the manufacturers, rather than the consumers. This may appear to be a somewhat political statement, of course, but I am confident that it can be demonstrated objectively.

For example, if the consumer were the priority, U.S. law would have the same requirement as European law for a list of contents per 100 g of product, instead of allowing the manufacturer to say “0 g of sugar” when sugar is below 0.5 g per serving, and also allowing the manufacturer to set the serving size arbitrarily small enough to make the sugar content less than 0.5 g/serving.

One coping strategy is to figure out a realistic serving size, then multiply 0.4999999999 g times the number of “servings” it takes to make up a real serving, to get the actual amount of sugar in the product.

Another coping strategy is to refuse to buy the product in question.

This sort of problem with edible food-like substances is why Dr. Robert Lustig’s mantra is “Just Eat Real Food.”

(Denise) #7

One thing I’m certain of is that I for one am never going to be perfect and the other thing is that not a one of us is going to get out of here alive. So I just do my best to stick to a low-carb diet because I like myself better now than I did when I was overweight I feel better too but I’m going to have an occasional glass of white wine which occasional for me seems to be about one time a month for one 5 oz glass and yes I do measure it if I want to bubbly drink I’m going to have one of those probably one a week seems to be my record.

Ya…no, putting things into a measurement that you’re not eating 99% of the time in no way benefits customers any more than saying that there’s 23g of carbs in petite woman’s handfull.

You’re comparing apples and bowling balls, the serving size and the rounding allowances are two completely different things. Even in the Euopean model you can put fractions of grams in there all day long, the real life margin of error doesn’t change, neither way it truly accurate. I’d much rather not have the rounding allowance be any more than true rounding to the nearest whole number, but to pretend one is truly more accurate simply isn’t true, even with the rounding rules as they are, the real life differences in a couple grams of anything is ignorable in anyway that matters.

I’d rather have weird rounding and know that my low carb bread has 6g in 1 slice (which I actually eat) than tell me how much is in 100g, because I don’t know about you, but I make a sandwich with 2 slices, not 3.57 slices.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It does, however, have the benefit of being a large enough sample size to make the percentages of macronutrients clear. So if there is 12 g of sugar per 100 g of product, then you know that if you are going to eat 2 ounces of it, then 12% of those 2 oz. are going to be sugar. (That’s about a quarter of an ounce, or 7 g of sugar.) Seems simple enough to me, but everyone is different.

Except that U.S. manufacturers are allowed to set the serving size arbitrarily, so as to make the rounding allowance come into play and allow the amount of sugar in the product to be stated as though the product were sugar-free. Fortunately, they are still required to list the sugar in the list of ingredients, so one has some means of defence.

What does it matter how much do you eat? Do your simple math and you get an accurate enough info. That’s how tracking works anyway.
The problem with the tiny portions just to say “zero” that we have no idea how much 100g (or 60g or 1234g, it doesn’t matter a thing) contains. We just know that for 12g is below 0.5g. So if I eat 500g, it may have much carbs or almost none, I just have NO IDEA.

Well it doesn’t affect me as

1. I live in Europe so I have info like 1.2g or <0.1g carbs for 100g. Very right. I like to know things.
  2. I usually don’t care about it as I either eat pretty low-carb stuff or I just don’t care if I end up with 30g or 60g or 300g carbs… But I can’t accidentally do the latter anyway.

But I like to know things and I find it bad that so many people just don’t have this info.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #11

It’s remarkable how many people are now basically addicted to flavored sparkling drinks, and how this is a major impediment to them eating clean.

I’ve noted elsewhere how it took me a good 6 months before I discovered I could stop putting stevia in my coffee, and I still enjoyed the odd Coke Zero for some years into low carb.

But I have to say, my main beverages of choice have for years been tap water and carbonated tap water!

(Doug) #12

My wife and I began it a few months ago - surprisingly satisfying and ‘different’ from still water. :+1:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #13

So good!

You’re arguing against something that doesn’t happen.

On our labels, we don’t just see a listing for 100g - we see it in addition to a listing for a serving size, and we’re shown how many servings are in a pack.

Here’s an example:

Oh yes, that too. I didn’t think about it as I usually buy things in block (or use torn up slices or something) so in the end I have an amount in grams. But sometimes it comes handy we just need to measure the slices/pieces, indeed.

(Denise) #16

I can see why I would get addicted to these things and don’t want to do that. That ICE bottled water that had sucrolose in it I tried threw up a red-flag the day after I drank it because I wanted another, so no more of that. I don’t think I crave stevia as it’s such a low amount I drink in my decaf but I notice I don’t go over that scoop either, and down to one cup of decaf (was drinking 2). I will most likely stop drinking it at all but I still want a hot drink, herbal tea etc. and yes, a little stevia.

I’m 2 years into keto so we’ll see. Lastnight all I had for dinner was my tenderloin pork, then a fat-bomb for dessert :grin: I couldn’t imagine eating just meat for dinner but now I do that on occasion.

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

As long as it is under .5 they can claim it is 0 carbs legally.

La Croix just states natural flavors on most of their cans. I use it from time to time, I like the citrus ones, and I have enjoyed Zevia’s ginger flavored drink. I don’t use them often and am not diabetic, so I don’t have a serious issue with them.

(Denise) #18

I did find my “sudden” attack of Acid Reflux in the middle of the night a result of eating and drinking “bubly” at the same time. I believe it does interrupt good digestion but I just had to test it out :frowning: Love my 6 inch Wedge pillow, saved the rest of my night but I’m passing on the bubly. I have quiet a few issues besides T2 so I’m just going to have to stick to my foods that have been improving everything.

I am going to try the Almond Flour piecrust with some sort of low-carb filling, just for Christmas dinner that is :wink:

(Kirk Wolak) #19

It tastes great, and probably no harm done…

Forgive the Sarcasm, please find the humor in your statement…

A company that created the Pepsi Challenge, using a small amount of their product against Coke, and won… But because they would go in and cleanup the local bottling companies (who are given some leeway… Pepsi in Florida was WAY sweeter than in MI, tested many times when I moved here). And hid the fact that Pepsi was more self-limiting. (it tasted better in smaller quantities, but for some reason it did not clear you palette like Coke does, so you like it LESS, or drink a lot less of it).

Then they buy Frito Lay… Oh, and some Fast Food, because SO many fast food companies started switching to Coke. (FWIW, I hated and HATE Diet Pepsi, so I lived this). The upside was that I would literally prefer water.

And we know that they will LIE to get market share.

But WE TRUST that it probably does NO HARM. ROTFLMAO…

I am truly sorry… I have to say you MUST go the other direction until proven otherwise.

FWIW, Stevia is now allowed to be listed as a Natural Flavor, and NOT required to be listed separately. (Because people like me are allergic to it, and stopped buying products with it, they are forced to hide it). Keep in mind that MSG can be disguised as a natural flavor. Another product that will cause me MASSIVE cravings for many hours.

My favorite Chinese Place makes the best Egg Foo Young. This was pre-keto/carnivore. it was my favorite. It hit the spot. I stayed full (I did not eat the rice)… I was learning…

One day, the wife bought it at a different place. OMG. Instead of eating 1/2 for my meal. I ate all of it, in 2 sittings. And then went back, poured the extra gravy on the rice, and ate all of that. I was “starving”, and it took sleeping it off, and feeling like crap. I did NOT know what happened.

Later this happened when I was keto, fasting. And my wife gave me some bullion in hot water.
The SAME kind of reaction. Starving… Out of my mind. I fasted through it, but it was insane.

And as people learned about MSG. They found 100 ways to disguise it.

Maybe they shouldn’t have to give their formulas out… But there should be a petition of chemicals deemed important enough, like Stevia, Fructose, MSG, etc. etc.
That we could petition to keep adding to. And have it also INCLUDE an IMPLIED version (hydrogenated soy protein for MSG)…
And then the MINIMUM is:
Natural Flavors, which includes SOME (MSG, Stevia, etc. etc. etc.) not listed by quantity or volume.

and maybe we can get the MyPlate and Food Pyramid fixed with an Easter Bunny Visit. LOL

(J) #20

I have a TopoChico drinking problem.