Broths, broths everywhere!

soup
broth
recipe

(Eve) #1

Hi there!
I’m from Poland (and also France, but let’s keep it simple here) and have noticed what we call a soup here is a broth for most of you guys. Polish soups are liquid, made from boiling for a long time different ingredients such as cauliflower, beetroot, mushrooms or cabbage.
I’ve also seen many people talking about bone broth, which is called rosół around here - it can be made from bones, hen, rooster, duck or bovine meat or whatever fat pieces of meat you have. The thing is - you usually add vegetables (celery, carrot, parsley, leek) and I’m not sure how keto is that - it’s just a broth, but I don’t know how much of carb can go into the water you’ll eat.
Anyway, rosół serves as a basis for any soup - it doesn’t keep well, so you’ll usually make a ton of it, then after 3 days it transcendslike Jesus). I thought you might want to check out the recipes, maybe modify them a bit to your taste.

ROSÓŁ:
meat (trunks are nice, because they have fat and you don’t eat them that much), water, parsley root, celery root, leeks, white cabbage leaves, celery leaves and flat-leaf parsley. I see this is often called Mirepoix in the USA, but it is diced, we buy vegetables whole (called włoszczyzna), which might be easier to take out if you don’t eat the carrot for example You can learn more here. Salt, pepper (you can pepper with whole grains).
Put the piece of meat in cold water (my mother uses one trunk for 10-15L) and set it to heat. The water cannot boil, it must stay mildly boiling, or simmering (in polish we say pyrkotać).This will give you a nice, clear broth with a rich taste. If you screw up and let it boil, it wont be clear anymore. Make it cabbage soup, I’ll explain that further :smile:
Let it stew for a looong time. At least 3-4 hours. A whole day and a night is fine. If there isn’t enough water, add some boiling water. If you are afraid that it will evaporate during the night, turn it off and turn it on in the morning.

And now, some magic. You can transform rosół into:

CABBAGE/CHOUCROUTE BROTH: KAPUŚNIAK
Add choucroute (marinated cabbage), some smoked bacon and some fried onion. Let it simmer for about an hour under cover (until the cabbage gets soft). You’ll need 0.5kg of choucroute for 2L of broth. Usually you add potatoes to this soup, as it is sour, but you can just add extra bacon

TOMATO SOUP
Yes, I know tomatoes are not really keto, or are at least are risky. Just for the sake of information - you take tomato concentrate and add it till what you have tastes enough tomatoish to you. I like to add sour cream to it, but only when it is in my plate (if you add it to the whole, it doesn’t keep so well).

… Ok, there is a ton of broths to make. We do cucumber (love it), cauliflower, vegetable and mushroom in my family as well (some do even broccoli, but I like it more whole). If someone is interested, I can write the recipe down, but for now, this is already a long post :wink:
What do you guys think? How carbic are those broths? Can they be consumed on keto?
Stay keto!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

So ROSÓŁ and rosół are different? I was a little confused. There’s lots of variation between French and English with the word broth and it gets mixed up, Broth and stock get used interchangeably because of the merging of language but bone broth is bones with a little bits of meat on the bones and hopefully some cartilage and marrow that can render from cut beef femur bones and knuckles. It’s less protein from flesh and more minerals and collagen and lots of other stuff (not an expert!). Usually the bones are roasted first to caramelise them. Then they are cooked long and not boiled but at around 180F. Lots of people use a crock pot. There’s no vegetables in it at all.

Broth is also commonly used for the kind of soup base you describe without bones. And then there’s stock, which is generally made from a carcass of a chicken and optional vegetable scraps or a mirepoix left chunky added after it’s been cooking for a while, usually for the last hour.

Thanks for the post, and sharing food from Poland. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Eve) #3

Hey, yes, I see I got broths mixed up as well XD There is only one rosół, even if sometimes, when you know you’ll make something else of it, you season it differently. The point is, soups in poland are always liquid. Like broths XD So there is less vegetables in them than in a typical cream, they are filling thanks to the fat coming from meat. I don’t know if anyone researched it for collagen and minerals, but |it might be interesting! XD

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I don’t know why I thought the names were different. ??? Not used to the Polish alphabet I guess. What noticed was on description had bones or poultry carcasses, and the other description talked about meat. What is XD? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Eve) #5

Yeah, I wasn’t clear myself.
XD is :laughing: when you are used to another type of emoji coding :smiley: Sorryyyyyyy