Brisket stuffed jalapeno poppers AKA Texas Twinkies

(Jane) #21

Peppers are all over the map when it comes to heat - even the same variety. Glad yours turned out good! I am making some pulled pork this weekend and plan on stuffing some peppers with it. Yum.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

The decline in recent years in the hotness of jalapeños is because they easily cross pollinate with bell peppers if they are grown within a mile of each other. This has caused monster sized mild heat jalapeños to be what you find more and more since jalapeños have increased in popularity.

They are good for stuffing though. If you want them hotter don’t trim off all the white membrane ridges when you clean them. If you cut all of it out there will be very little heat after cooking the peppers. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #23

David wow ! That makes all the sense in the world !

A couple times a while back, that’s exactly what we got ! Monster sized, but zero spiciness. In fact, we agreed that they might as well have been green bell peppers
 And now we know why.

Ya know, we have a good sized Mexican market very close to us. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had multiple choices of Jalepeno’s, based on size, and heat.
Rather than risk getting “dead” Jalepeno’s, and killing a good recipe, maybe I might swing by there the next time, and see what they have ?

(Central Florida Bob ) #24

What’s this “leftover brisket” of which you speak?

Seriously, they look great. My fault for looking at them while fasting, but they’re making me hungry.

The name I first heard for these wasn’t Texas Twinkies, it was “Atomic Buffalo Turds” or ABTs. Since brisket doesn’t usually last long enough for there to be leftovers, I usually make them with sausage in the cream cheese instead of brisket. They’re the kind of thing I make when I’m going to party and we’re asked to bring some food. Serve them with my Alabama white barbecue sauce. I don’t think I’ve ever had leftovers to bring home.

(Susan) #25

It is nice you can do so many variations on the recipe as well. I initially got the idea from @Janie when she made some with jalapeno peppers, cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, so I did some with coloured bell peppers I had that I cut into strips, added the cream cheese and wrapped in Piller’s Smoked Black Forrest Ham. They were delicious as well. You can certainly modify the recipe around what you have in the house =).

(Adam ) #26

I found cream cheese and peppers always go good together and bacon goes with everything so why not go with all 3 I just like things a little on the spicier side and there was good finger food for while I was driving because I drive truck

(Jane) #27

I did not know that! Would explain why my jalapeños from my garden had little to no heat. They were grown next to Pablano and Bell Peppers. I could grow the jalapeños in a different part of the garden but it would be 20 feet away, not a mile so might not help.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

@Janie When you plant your plants they will be what their previous breeding produced
 Your seeds from this year’s crop would show the effects of this year’s cross pollination and next year the jalapenos won’t be as spicy. So if you are growing from seeds or starters each year and not saving your seeds for replanting it doesn’t matter. But it explains why jalapenos were hotter years ago and their increase in size recently.

(Jane) #29

Oh, ok thanks. I buy new seeds every year.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #30

This is the wrong thread to scroll through on a fasting day 

(Dave) #31

Droooooling here right now

(Susan) #32

When I was in Costco on Friday night, grocery shopping, this lady that works there serving the samples is Keto as well, and we chat about Keto when we see each other. She is very sweet; and told me she loves making a variation on these too.

She buys the small multi-coloured peppers they sell there, and slices them length-wise, puts cream cheese on them and then packs it down, and adds the Kirkland Bacon Bits to the top, smooshes it down a bit and puts it in the oven to cook it for a bit, (not too long). It is similar to all of the above, but just another variation =).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #33

With all the same basic ingredients, I don’t see how it could come out bad ? :slightly_smiling_face: