Breaking through a plateau and optimizing feast/fast cycles

(Brian Ernst) #1

Quick summary of life with weight issues:

The highest weight I’ve ever been was 230 lbs working at Dunkin Donuts. Since then I’ve been trying to workout more, and with exercise and moderately healthy eating I was able to get to 208 lbs. Within the last several years I’ve been trying to focus on my diet to get healthier, and it’s been a rollercoaster trying to determine how strict I want to be.

Last year I was able to hit 189 lbs, but life happens. I got sick two times in a row leading up to Christmas break, and I threw keto out the window. I put on 20 lbs that I had worked hard to shed off. I’ve almost lost that weight, but breaking past a body weight of 190 lbs has been something I’ve been fighting, since highschool, even while trying to basically eat keto recently.

I did a 42 hour fast over a year ago. I’ve been struggling to get back into IF. As of the new year I’ve been rocking IF, I finally did my first 72 hour fast a month ago. I’ve had my ups and downs since then weight-wise, even with IF. I’m now in the middle of a 64 hour fast, planning on hitting a 96+ hour fast, maybe even a 120 hour fast if my body feels up to it. Plan is to start eating Friday, and feast over weekend. Is this kind of cycle doable, any repercussions for feasting shortly after a fast? I know I need to ease back into eating, but what’s the soonest I can/should start feasting?

I want to know, what’s an “optimal” fast/feast cycle to lose weight, from your experience? Should I stick to 3 day fast, 2 day IF, 2 day feast? Can a 4 day fast, 3 day feast, or 5 day fast, 2 day feast work? I don’t know how long the feasting cycle needs to be to make sure my metabolism stays as high as I can get it. Any tips are highly appreciated.

Enjoying the keto wave of benefits, but still struggling to lose excess fat and belly fat I’ve been wanting to lose for almost my entire life. Cheers!

(Jennifer ) #2

Following - I just posted asking close to this same question. Very interested in how people handle their feasting days.

(Donna ) #3

Congratulations on how much you have achieved so far! Way to go!

This podcast was very informative for me. Megan talks about alternate day fasting as very effective for weight loss, refeeding, and how to not lower your BMR with calorie restriction or too much fasting.

Hope this helps!

Here’s my experience: I lost 70 lbs in 7 months, going from obese to normal BMI. I’m female and probably older than you.

Here’s my thoughts: no one can tell you what’s optimal for you. It depends on your physiology, your mindset (what keeps you motivated) and what fits into your life.

Physiology: I am (was) insulin resistant, but not diabetic. Mindset: I’m motivated by seeing results on a day to day basis. Lifestyle: I don’t want my life to be dictated by what or when I eat, flexibility is essential to sustainability. So what was optimal for me was to eat when it was socially expected and fast otherwise. This ended up being roughly once every 4-10 days. I like to call it OMAW (though it wasn’t strictly structured).

Your Mileage Will Vary.