Breakfast question and plans

(Scott) #1

I am normally not hungry at breakfast and not ready for OMAD. My question is this .somedays like tomorrow up at 8am golfing at 10am home around 3:30-4pm. I won’t be hungry at 8 am and only sandwiches and muffins on course . Not sure what snacks to bring as have to be in bag and usually snack at night watch sports ( trying to stop that but hard ) . I also have kids hockey like this etc so trying to see what people do in these cases. Also don’t want to have to go to bathroom
For number 2 on course

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I’d bring fatty, low-carb snacks that don’t need to stay cold, such as pork rinds, pepperoni, salami, cheese, and pre-cooked bacon. You may very well find yourself not needing them, but they’d be nice to have on hand, just in case.

You could also begin the day with heavy cream in your coffee, or perhaps even Bulletproof coffee, if that’s not too much work before hockey practice.

Things change over time. Originally on keto, I was eating on my three-meal-a-day schedule, until one day I stopped wanting breakfast, so I started not eating eat until noon. Nowadays, three years in, I don’t usually feel like eating until 3:30 or later. Sometimes I break my fast just before beginning to cook supper. Of course, there are also those days when I need to eat in the morning. I let my appetite be my guide. As a carb-burner, hunger seemed to be my usual state; nowadays, I just really don’t want food for a large part of the day.

(Scott) #3

Thanks Paul, i don’t drink coffee and here in Ottawa , there are 2 types of pepperoni the kind you need to keep in fridge and the kind like jerky . The kind like jerky gives me the bathroom run, pork rinds can’t do ever . And cheese has to be in fridge . And considering it’s golf on a Sunday here could take 4-6 hours . That’s why it almost breakfast or nothing . I appreciate the suggestions . Hoping to one day be OMAD ( notnsure I could ever do a 2 or 3 day fast )

(Tracy) #4

Macadamia nuts are my go-to snack that kills hunger.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I guess it doesn’t pay to generalise, does it? In the U.S., the kind of pepperoni sold in Italian delicatessens is generally fine left outside the fridge. Sorry!

I guess I just assumed that because smoked meats and sausages were developed as ways of preserving meat without refrigeration that the idea applied across the board. Mea culpa!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

@macscott I purchase McSweeney’s pepperoni sticks here in Vancouver at any 7/11 store. Both the Original and Hot contain only 1 gram of carb per stick (40 grams). I’ve never experienced any intestinal issues with either, although the Hot version is sometimes very hot, so that might be an issue. No fridge required. I don’t like pork rinds, even though I tried hard to like them, so I eat Great Value Bacon Crumble. No fridge required, although I usually keep the opened bag in the fridge for a few days. A good hard cheese like grana padano would last all day without refrigeration. If you buy the wedge, you could even eat it without cutting first, although the darker end of the cheese is very hard.

(Laurie) #7

In my opinion, it’s fine for cheese to be out of the fridge for a few hours. It’s what I usually take with me when I’m out of the house for the day. To keep it cold, you can put a little ice pack with it. (Wrap the ice pack in a cloth so the condensation doesn’t make a mess.)

I also keep cans of sardines in the car, just in case.

(Scott) #8

Yes an hour or two but we are probably 4-6 hours at 25 today or around 79

Most food doesn’t spoil so easily, I surely would eat harder cheese (I prefer half-hard ones, at room temperature or higher, they get so nice soft :smiley: but hard cheeses are nice too) and even boiled eggs 10 hours later, I did that on summer motorbike tours :smiley: Days later, only my ghee mixed with walnuts remained…
But I thought what @islandlight wrote too: use an ice pack or even a little cooling box/bag and you can rest assured, it will be okay.

Some people uses nuts, me too in my past but it’s individual, not good for everyone, I wouldn’t use them myself anymore. They never really satiated me.

(Scott) #10

Thanks , Inammreally only into cashews or salted peanuts . I saw the store had some of the old hotrod beef sticks but usually bathroom was right after

As a Brit, I leave most cheese to get to room temperature. They taste better like that and last all day out of the Fridge.

(Jane) #12

No, cheese does not spoil at 80F for 4-6 hours. It can sit out at room temp all day and be fine.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Yeah, in the U.S., we tend to put a lot of stuff in the fridge unnecessarily. When our fridge broke down a couple of years ago, the repairman actually made a comment about how much stuff was in the refrigerator that didn’t need to be there.

Eggs, interestingly, should be refrigerated if they’ve been washed. If the natural coating has not been washed off, however, they should not be refrigerated.

(Bob M) #14

And the best from a saturated fat/PUFA perspective.

(Bob M) #15

A lot (all?) of Europe keeps their eggs at room temperature. I don’t know why the US has chosen not to do this. This is why I’ll usually “heat up” the egg in hotter water for a while before putting them into certain recipes, as if you’re using a French cookbook, you’ll never see “heat up the eggs to room temperature”, and sometimes this is beneficial.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Eggs can look unpleasant to the squeamish, after they exit from the hen. U.S. consumers have been trained to distance themselves from the sources of their food and therefore prefer pristine eggs, hence the washing. Europeans tend, by and large, to be earthier than Americans and to live closer to their food supply.

Having grown up the nephew of an egg farmer, I can state that a fresh egg and a supermarket egg are two very different things. (In fact, I believe that mayonnaise recipes used to advise against using really fresh eggs, something which is never a concern with store-bought eggs in the U.S.!)

A big difference is that British eggs also adhere to the Red Lion standard, which means that the farmer has inoculated the hens against salmonella.

We had a massive health scare with regards to eggs over here in the late 80s / early 90s, and it led to the introduction of the Red Lion standard.

(Unbelievably, it was caused by feeding chicken to chickens - which is exactly what caused the BSE scandal a few years later; feeding beef to cows. Thankfully things are a lot better now; it makes me shudder to think what was going on with farming in the 80s.)

There’s research from around that time to suggest that 3 weeks at room temperature is the limit - after that, if there is salmonella present, the egg becomes riddled with it. Keeping the egg in the fridge means that the egg lasts longer before this happens.

So in the US, in addition to the washing issue (which affects the protective cuticle), the hens are likely not to be inoculated against salmonella - so it’s best to put the eggs in the fridge in case it is infected.

In the UK, the hens have been vaccinated so salmonella is not a concern. The only thing for UKers to remember is that if they buy British eggs, they shouldn’t chop and change - so you shouldn’t put a box of eggs in the fridge for a week, then take them out and put them in the cupboard for a week, because the temperature fluctuation can cause bacteria to grow.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Eerily reminiscient of Soylent Green, eh? :scream:

Thanks for that word, “cuticle.” I knew that coating had to have a name! :+1:

(Scott) #19

Went golfing this am and took some cheese and hotrods(like a pepperoni Stick) had a couple sticks around the 3rd hole and was on the toilet at the ninth . I took one bite of cheese and found out I don’t like room temp cheese like it hard out of fridge . Thanks for the ideas . I know I am
Going to get more energy but just exhausted today and don’t usually feel
Like that after golf and was tired Saturday . Hope more energy soon

(Laurie) #20

I’m sure you’ll figure it out! I used to take cold chicken legs, boiled eggs, etc., to work years ago, when I was on Atkins and worked in a factory.

I know that insulated lunch bags are expensive and might be too big for what you want. How about using a cushioned mailer? The bubble wrap kind. They sell them at the dollar store, post office, etc.
AC_SY400