Bread - low carb but definitely not gluten free

(Brian) #1

I used to love bread. I even baked my own bread. But I haven’t had a decent piece of bread since about last August. I’ve tried numerous recipes and have yet to find one that I’ve actually made a second time, that ought to tell you something.

Anyway, I was browsing somewhere, can’t remember where now, and found this:

It’s low carb. I think the whole loaf has about what one piece of my bread used to have so having a real sandwich would actually fit into the keto macros quite well. But one of the main ingredients is wheat gluten. And I’m not sure what I think about that.

I know some people are sensitive to wheat and have a legitimate problem with eating gluten. No issue with that. But I haven’t known of any particular allergy or intolerance associated with wheat gluten specifically for me.

I know a lot of the keto community has sworn off all grains. For some, that might be for intolerances. For some, it might be an ideology. And for some, grains have been a big source of carbs that were just not compatible with a keto diet.

In this case, the two main ingredients are vital wheat gluten and oat fiber. I guess both of those fall nicely into the category of grains though I don’t hear as much negative about oat fiber.

Anyway, I’m kinda curious what others of you think. I haven’t tried it yet. Haven’t decided if I should or shouldn’t. Is wheat still a major problem even when the carbs from it are not?

(Donna McGuire) #2

I just tried this! It did not rise, but the taste and texture are close enough for me to continue trying