Bowel movement changes on ZC-- TMI warning

(Mary Ann) #1

First off I’m sorry for the TMI. I’ve written and deleted this post several times! :hushed:

Since going more ZC my bowel movements have become very less. They’re not hard or difficult to pass. It’s just that it seems about less than 1/3 of what I’m consuming. Think small pebbles. I seem to have these types of bowel movement every day.

I’ve been taking a magnesium supplement and up-ed my salt intake (even before going more ZC).

Any insight would be appreciated. I’ve been googling things like “can I be constipated even though I’m still have bowel movements”.

TIA

(bulkbiker) #2

It’s because your body is utilising the fuel you are giving it so it doesn’t have so much waste.
I did zero carb for a month earlier this year and ended up only “going” two or three times a week.
No ill effects though and I have been consuming fewer veggies since.

(Mary Ann) #3

Thanks @MarkGossage that helps ease my mind.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Mark is on the right track. You are using more of the fuel you are giving your body.

As long as you are not experiencing cramping, straining,or painful BMs, you are not constipated and everything should be fine.

(bulkbiker) #5

Also of course your body is running on high octane rocket fuel and not the usual gas…

I’ve experienced less volume and frequency on ZC, too. I think it’s perfectly normal and healthy. My gut felt great on ZC. I learned to cut back on veg. I eat much less today because of that learning. And I welcome the lower expense in tissue consumption.:laughing:

(Mary Ann) #7

Yes, I’m not experiencing any of these symptoms. Thanks for the reply!

(Adam Hagen) #8

Less crap in, less crap out…

(Mary Ann) #9

A LOT less crap out. My estimate of 1/3 of what I was consuming as waste was an over-estimate. I’m talking like 1/4th or less.

It does ease my mind knowing that others have had this experience. It’s just so different. I hardly need any toilet paper (seriously–just to “check”), I never fart anymore, and now I’m pooping pebbles!

I guess we’re not supposed to be eliminating all the time…we’re supposed to be consuming food for fuel…huh!

Thanks again for replying. I understand this may not be the nicest of topics. :blush:

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #10

You crack me up @Fiorella!

I’ve experienced the same years back on my 18-month ZC run and recent cycles on and off ZC. I too have reduced my plant consumption overall since cycling in and out of ZC… and my plumbing has improved :smile::joy:

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

It’s not unhealthy. I think we also naturally eat less on zero carb because satiety is typically higher, so we are consuming less by volume. We also don’t digest much plant matter, remember, whereas we typically digest more protein and fat on average, biologically. Many of us on keto or low carb eat high fiber foods when not ZC, remember, and so these are mostly indigestible.

Constipation is typically needing to pass waste and being unable to. I think if you are able to still continue I would not worry about it, unless you have symptoms.

(Mary Ann) #12

I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else has the same initial experience going ZC. It’s been about three weeks since I posted and everything worked itself out (pun intended). My bowel movements are less but regular and not painful. I think I had to get used to the change. My experience seems to be in line with others have suggested.

Thanks again for everyone’s perspective and knowledge!

Thank you for posting this topic. I had a diagnosis of ovarian cancer 18 months ago so have spent my time since surgery note size, consistency and frequency of BMs.
I declined chemo and was told that a symptom of cancer recurrence was bowel obstruction.
I am going to the hospital for a check up tomorrow but since quitting dairy (cheese, cream, butter) in early February, and eating fewer salads my BMs reduced by half.
I am not in pain or bloated but am prone to worry if my BMs change.
It helps to know that my bowels could be just fine, or that abdominal adhesions have formed (I have a massive one near bladder) OR the cancer has come back.
:woman_shrugging:t3:

As an example, beef steak is approximately 75% water.

Quick update on bowel movements and Keto v SAD. I have just returned to Australia from walking the Camino Frances which is a 40 day 900 km trek across Spain, carrying 8.5 kg pack. It was epic. During the walk I noticed that I had dropped weight as I could see all my rib bones. That shocked me into eating everything I could get my hands on: tortillas con potatoes, Tarta de Santiago (almond meal cake), bread and chips. During the last 2-1/2 weeks of the walk, my bowel movements EASILY trebled in volume. They were a joy to behold. :poop:

I have returned to keto (with the odd slice of almond meal cake) to note a decreased size of bowel movement.

Since this skirmish with ovarian cancer, I pay particular attention to BMs.

For my n=1 experience, I can confirm that carbs make :poop::poop::poop: and keto makes :poop:

Keto BMs are easier if I eat lots of butter.

Thank you for being a forum where members can discuss these issues.

The :poop::poop::poop: to :poop: ratio applies to me too.
For the 2 or 3 times I have snaffled significant carbs in the last year or so :grinning:

Congrats on that magnificent trek! Well done!!!

(Shayne) #17

As I recall, the last time I did ZC several years ago (why did I ever stop… that’s a story for another thread) - I only went twice a week. I remember posting in a forum I was in at the time something along the lines of “It’s Thursday - that means it’s poop day”.

(Genevieve Biggs) #18

I hardly poop on ZC. Every two days at the most. Love it. :sunglasses:

Dr Ken Berry on the :poop: question at 1:18:50 in this fb live video. The whole video is excellent, but this section is hilarious and timely.

(Ashley) #20

I’ve switched to mostly zero carb, don’t poop as often, but quite painful. I’m very on top of my electrolytes. Ever had this? Trying to search topics for help.