Boring broth

(Karen) #1

I made a bone broth soup. There wasn’t much on the bone, mostly gristle. A lot of saturated fat came out of it and of course the marrow. I have it sitting in the garage because it’s super cold here and I’m hoping all the fat on top will be able to be removed. My husband is disgusted by it. I’ll probably be able to use the fat for something else later.

Two questions:

1. What can I Use to jazz up this bone broth?

2. Are there some good uses for the fat that I pull off the top. Frying with that I think, but anything else?

(Tracy) #2

I can’t think of any use for solid chicken fat, but I can’t say I’ve ever tried. Maybe if I was snowed in up in Alaska and had to due with every morsel I had I could use it to sauté something. I make broth all the time but I never use only bones. After I’ve removed any decent meat from a rotisserie chicken I cook the carcass in my slow cooker for about 8 hours and I season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Some people on this forum gives me grief for using a Costco chicken because it’s not organic and has seasoning that may contain sugar. I don’t use the skin even when I eat the chicken by itself because they go overboard on the seasoning so I just throw away the skin that’s saturated with it. I recommend thyme because it goes very well with chicken. I only use enough water to cover the carcass.

(Ken) #3
  1. I usually resort to the powdered Soup Base they sell at Walmart. We eat alot of Soup. Currently with lot’s of Cabbage since I stocked up before St Patrick’s Day when it was On Sale.

2. Schmaltz. Chicken fat is perfect, and traditional in many ethnic recipes. I made some from the skimmed fat from boiling my Corned Beef. It was awesome, as was the additional beef fat I cooked in the pot, with the broth itself lasting for a couple of days afterwards as a hot drink.

I also enjoy Thyme with my Chicken soup/broth, but I’ve recently found Herbs De Provence to be even better. It’s better and less expensive to buy the ingredients and make the mixture yourself.

(Karen) #4

This was a great big beef bone

Sherry! But I dont think it is keto! :wink:

(Ron) #6

I use that fat like creamer for my coffee. Adds a little different flavor.

(Tracy) #7

I have some herbs de Provence in my spice rack that I never knew what to do with. I’ll try it the next time I make some broth. If I like it I’ll make my own blend like you suggested. It’s the same with Chinese 5 spice. Have you ever seen how expensive it is? It’s literally 5 cheap spices you can mix yourself. One thing I love about Keto and making all of my own meals is I’m forced to use my imagination. Tonight I came up with a really good crust for mini pizzas. I added some parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic powder to some pancake batter which is just 4oz of cream cheese and 4 eggs. They were delicious by themselves, even better after I toasted them and made mini pizzas.

(Tracy) #8

Sorry-I assumed it was chicken, probably because that’s all I make. I don’t think I’ve ever tried to make beef broth. Now I want to try. It would be helpful to have plenty of beef broth in my freezer because there’s nothing better than a crockpot of beef and cabbage stew.

(Daisy) #9

I like to use a variety of bones: beef, chicken, and pork bones. I heavily salt it and use acv. Then when I use the broth, I add more salt to taste. I keep the fat that forms on top and melt it back into the broth. If I have a small amount of fat, I add my own. Delicious!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Karen next time you do beef broth roast the bones in a 400F oven for about 45 minutes first. It adds a lot of flavor. Rub them with fat if you can first to help the browning. Beef tallow is great for cooking, make sure there’s no liquid with the fat by reheating it until there’s no bubbles for longer storage. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Tracy) #11

I’m curious as to why bone broth is essential to Keto. I know people are after the collegian, but why is it so specific to Keto?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

It’s not, there is no essential individual food that is necessary for KETO. But bone broth or bone meal supply minerals and nutrients with zero carbs. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Karen) #13

Oh I wish I had done that… I had heard about that before and completely forgot.

(ben) #14

Check YouTube for recipe for tonkotsu broth. Mix different kind of bones for different taste.

I’ve boiled a mix of pork and chicken bones, ginger, onions, Japanese mushrooms, garlic for 30hours in an instant pot (about 60 regular hours) and the taste is insane!
I’ve cooled it off and put it in ice cubes bags. Whenever I need it I’d take 2-3 cubes and pour cooked water together with some salt on it to have a cup of delicious “soup”.

Put some shirataki noodles in it and I have a nice bowling ramen.

The non-keto family members love it as ordinary ramen broth also.

I also use it as a base for several dishes and soups.

(Karen) #15

I’m starting to say my vegetable remains and bones in the freezer for a future bone broth. I love the idea of mixing bones

(Bruce Pick) #16

Good uses for saved fat -
Anything that needs oil or fat!
I like to fry Brussels sprouts in it. Using it instead of a purchased oil, you get whatever tasty seasonings may already be in the fat. The sprouts recipe I found is 5 tbsp (75 g) fat or oil per pound of sprouts, which I buy frozen. Measuring cold fat into a pan is easy when I put the pan on a scale.

When doing ribs in a crock pot, I like to sear the ribs first. Put a couple blobs of saved fat into the searing pan. I try to preheat everything that goes into the crock pot because otherwise, it takes forever to heat up.

Bone broth -
Mine comes from the meat juices I salvage after slow cooking ribs or any meat with bones in it. So it has some flavor from the mushrooms and onions I usually add to those dishes, plus some salt and spices.

I have a chili recipe that calls for broth to be added. I use the saved broth for that.

I’ve also made a soup from the broth base. Add anything you like of course. I’ve added pearl onions, mushrooms, and bits of meat. I think my broth is pretty concentrated so for soup, I might add some water. Halved Brussels sprouts would be good too. Halved radishes. After cooking, radishes are a lot like potatoes but without the carbs. I often toss them into a slow cooker dish.

(Bunny) #17

I place little leaves and stems of cilantro (even parsley) on top with chili tepins (what they make pepper spray with). Makes it so much more enjoyable to to eat!

BTW that stuff on the top is the best part and what you should be eating, it is not just fat but gelatin, glycine and other stuff.

I have to have hooves, feet with nails (eye sockets, beaks and heads to) in my broth or it just isn’t the real thing…lol