Book: refuse to regain..or other keto maintenance books?

(Jenny) #1

has anyone read this? would you recommend?
any other books you would?

Thank you one and all.

In my opinion, the best tool for maintaining weight loss (regardless of how it was achieved) is fasting. There are only two levers within our control- WHAT we eat and WHEN we eat. A HFLC diet is an example of what. Time restricted eating, intermittent fasting, and extended fasting are examples of when. Maintaining weight loss is difficult because it triggers hormonal changes that promote bringing us back up to our set point. Fasting helps counter this physiological response. The best book that I’ve read on this topic is Dr. Fung’s Complete Guide To Fasting.

Hi Jenny, I have read it and it has some good morsels and steps to take. It is not keto, but if you can read with an open mind (and ignore the things that don’t apply) I think you will like it. My favorite piece, that has helped me a LOT, was her discussion of a Scream Weight - that # at which we will not go beyond and will signal an immediate return to clean eating until back within the range we want to maintain. There is a thread for Maintenance Resources (including this book):

That you may want to check out as well. I dabble in many of them and it has helped me maintain within my range after a 70 lb loss. I have never, ever been able to maintain before, and every moment past 15 minutes is a victory! I am at about 8 months maintaining now, and THAT is a true miracle. Best of everything!

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I agree, just don’t follow her eating plan, do keto or lchf instead.

The Scream Weight was my favorite tip as well . Don’t wait till it is 10#, do something about it now. I have really been applying that in my maintenance efforts.

I think it is a pretty good book and would recommend it.

(Karen Parrott) #5

I had 40 years of yo-yo dieting from 6-46. Now in maintaining 6 years 8 months. I combined fasting, these rules , paleo with modified AIP, Low Carb, then Keto because I fast.

Since I was obese at the age of six, eating super super low carb and super super high fat only puts weight on to my body. But if I combine Dr. Berkeley’s rules ( think habits) with fasting which causes me to be keto, then = skinny jeans.

I’ve seen far too many people whether they are keto low-carb or Paleo regain the weight due to not changing certain habits it and quite frankly just eating too much dietary fat and total calories too often. Don’t hate me for saying that, now that everyone is triggered. Everyone claims their Keto gurus says that total calories don’t matter, total fat doesn’t matter, eating windows don’t matter but in my case they do

I have somewhere between 15 and 20 Gene SNPs is that code for obesity. So if you have those SNPs too you might be able to do those things. Genetics, tracking calories, eating too much fat. For some of us we can take those principles and use the ideas and apply them with success.

For the some young folks it’s much easier

Best wishes and KCKO. Every single day of those six years and eight months my fat wants to come back every single day but I won’t let it every single day of those six years and eight months my fat wants to come back every single day but I won’t let it.

Be your own guru, you’ll be fine. Book title…:wink: For the book I haven’t written yet :joy:

(less is more, more or less) #6

No triggering here. Dr. Westman and Amy Berger, among others, would agree. While CICO fails to describe a healthy way of eating, that isn’t to say that food quantity is meaningless, and yes, fat is very calorie dense and I have consumed more fat than my satiety had the chance to respond and say; “whoa, there.”

(Karen Parrott) #7

Truth!!

(Jenny) #8

thank you. i read your blog and you are an island of strict food sobriety for me in a sea of loose boundaries lol! I truly do realize some people can be more flexible and it works for them. I just don’t think I’m one of them. I do watch calories and will continue to do so. I have to speak my bodies language; I have tried not counting and it’s a no go for me. I am trying to be smart about this and realize maintenance may be a different animal. Your paleo ish, low carb combined with fasting approach…i think that’s the name of the game for me as well.

i dont know when I will be in maintenance or even what my goal weight is, but I do know I want to have a plan solidly in place. maybe even practice maintaining a weight as I get closer.

thanks for letting me bend your ear.

In the six years after losing weight, have you discovered that your setpoint has changed? Thus making it harder to return to your old weight?

(Karen Parrott) #10

No it’s super easy to regain weight for me since my genetics and for decades of being obese. My weight really wants to come back every single day is very structured and I don’t leave anything to chance.

I know this is the case for other long time folks in obesity because when I attend conferences overtime 2015, 2016 2017 and 2018. From year to year large losers regain to the point where I don’t recognize them. Yes eating Keto. Yes eating low-carb

One thing I had to come to realize is that my satiety signals don’t work so that advice to eat until your satiety kicks in is terribly bad for me. Sometimes I get the correct signals but most the times I still do not. I don’t need to keto harder, or anything like that but I do need to track my food in my body weight very closely.

Sylvia Tara, PhD talks a lot about this in her book the secret life of fat

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #11

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’ll keep it in mind as I transition into maintenance.

(Karen Parrott) #12

Great I’m probably the person who has to use the most tools in the group or that you’ll ever meet online or in person. But I applaud you for thinking about maintenance and it’s in advance and doing some planning I think that will take you very far. Best wishes and here’s to the next steps

(Jane) #13

^^^ This.

And the concept of Scream Weight. Don’t wait until it is 10lbs… I try to maintain my weight within a 5-lb range to account for fluctuations. And fasting is my greatest tool, going super low carb for a few days is not far behind.

(Brian) #14

While I would agree that fasting is a good tool to have in the toolbox, I do wonder, if it’s something you have to use on a very regular and lengthy basis, whether there may be issues in what you are eating being either excessive or of the wrong composition, at least as it relates to a relatively healthy person.

I do understand that we all come at this from a different place. Some may find that fasting often really is necessary, maybe the more messed up a person’s metabolism, the more they need the tool. Others may find that fasting is rarely needed, at least for weight maintenance.

I have also wondered whether the rate of weight loss that many demand of their bodies makes it harder to go into maintenance mode. If you’ve demanded that your body lose 5+ pounds a month at a minimum and go to extreme measures to make it happen, I’m not sure that isn’t setting you up for a difficult time when you come to the place where you say, “I’m good, I don’t want to gain or lose anymore.”

I’m of the opinion that that last 15 to 20 pounds that I have to go may take a year or more. I may only lose an average of 1 pound a month and I am actually very happy about those prospects. I like the idea that when I get to where I’m going, I’ll already be 99% of the way to where I need to be with my eating and or fasting, there really won’t be much of anything to change at all. (I’ve already had people tell me I don’t need to lose any more weight.)

I don’t fast a whole lot, mostly just the occasional intermittent fast, and seldom more than 24 to 36 hours. I don’t plan those at all. They happen when they happen, sometimes because I’m not hungry, but more often because there are issues with being on stage for a concert or event and there just isn’t the time to eat or there is a lot of “party food” around me that I do not want to eat. No problem. I honestly have no problem being around people that are eating and me not eating. It really helps if I have a bottle of water in my hand which gives me something to sip on. But not eating really doesn’t bring on the hunger monster. (Now, if I nibbled a little, the hunger monster really would show up, interesting how that happens.)

Another tool that isn’t exactly “fasting” that helps me is sometimes, when I’ve had a few days where the carbs were higher than usual, I’ll find that a couple of days of very clean, very keto, perhaps even close to carnivore eating will drop the weight back down almost as well as a fast would do. It’s really easy to do, at least for me. Maybe that’s a different tool in the toolbox that kinda resembles the fasting one. (?)

Of course, do what works for you. For me, I intend a very soft landing such that when I arrive, I’ll hardly notice if not paying attention to that scale. I’ve been in airplane landings that were smooth like that. I’ve thanked the pilot for such and appreciate their skill in doing that. :slight_smile:

More of the non-scale victory category, back in 2001, when I married my wife and moved south, I had a nice medium weight Carhart jacket. I remember it being “snug” but very wearable. It’s spent most of the last 17 years in a closet and rarely came out. The last few times, it never, ever, got zipped up as I was way too big to do that. I put it on this morning and was noticing, there is extra room in there. Is it possible I’m even smaller than back in 2001? I know the jacket didn’t stretch, it’s not that kind of material. Dunno. It doesn’t matter, really. But it pleases me that it’s possible that I’m healthier than I was even 20 years ago.

Just my random thoughts…