Weight Maintenance Resources, books , podscasts, websites

weightmaintenance

(Karen Parrott) #1

Feel free to list your favorite books podcast blogs websites and other materials even if they aren’t Keto.

I’ve found that weight maintainers have some base tools that even if they are (gasp!) using low fat for example, the tools are the same. It’s like weight maintainers boot camp, then specialize in food template.

Best of Refuse to Regain - blog and book
( author- Barbara Berkeley, MD, advocates for LC, but is not as high fat as we are)

Apply a Keto/LC spin to this and the tips were GOLD!!

Keep adding to this list.

I made it a wiki so anybody should be able to add directly to this post. Daisy.

Book: refuse to regain..or other keto maintenance books?
April 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-in thread
(Karen Parrott) #2

Podcast:
Weight Loss for Busy Physicians
By Katrina Ubell, MD helps busy doctors bridge the gap between the mind and permanent weight loss

I use a lot of Dr. Ubell’s strategies for weight maintenance. Substitute the word Busy Physician’s with the word Busy _____ (whatever your busy is- single mom, caretaker, etc)

(Jeanna B) #3

Not Keto but the Half Size Me podcasts focuses a lot on maintenance mindset https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/half-size-me/id502334416?mt=2

(Karen Parrott) #4

Yes! Are used to be in the Half Sized me community. I stayed, I learned a lot, and then I left because I needed more low carb and keto centric maintenance approaches

(Jeanna B) #5

Understandable. I take it with a grain of salt. I just never thought about maintenence mode before until I stumbled upon that podcast a while ago, and wondered why no one else was talkng about it! But then I found the maintenance section here and I think this will be where I will go for help. I haven’t been in maintenance long, and I’m currently just los ing a bit more weight just as a buffer. We’ll see where my body ends and up wanting to be comfortably. I’m afraid to add more calories yet.

(Karen Parrott) #6

Welcome and glad you are here. :smile:

This is a godsend thread! Thank you for starting it! I just subscribed to the Half Size Me podcast, and I read Refuse to Regain (many excellent tips that I am following - just keto-fying it) based on Karen’s recommendation. I will also look into the Busy Doc book – permanent weight loss is definitely the goal!!

On a very positive side, I had seen my almost current lowest weight about nine years ago, but only for about 15 minutes as I instantly started gaining right back to where I was plus some. After having re-lost 70 pounds on keto during this past year I now have several months within my maintenance range which is a new record for me - and I’ll take it! One hour/day/week/month at a time and this will become permanent! Thanks for all the help!

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

Congrats, on being in maintenance mode. I have to remind myself a lot about the one hour/day/week/month at a time. So many things pull us in the direction of “I lost, so now I can eat anything.” That would be a no.

I have added some things back into my diet, but I did it gradually, I know how much of it I can have also when because some treats have to be had only after a large fatty meal to wreck havoc. I learned that from Dave Feldman. If you haven’t checked his website out, I suggest you do. I’m not as brave as he is, so I only add fruit or other higher carb veggies for my treats. Not sure what calling carb veggies and fruits as treats says about me, LOL.
Dave used skittles to find out what timing does with treats.
http://cholesterolcode.com/?s=skittles+

Ha! I was and art major, so it has taken me several days to read, re-read, re-read and finally I think I understand what Dave Feldman was illustrating here (btw, I try to understand Siobhan Huggins’ sharings too - she is one of my s/heroes as she is so young and so darn smart!).

So, and feel very free to correct me if I am wrong, Dave is saying that an introduction of carbs is less ‘harmful’ - or impacts insulin less, if done AFTER a fatty meal - right?

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Bingo!

Perfect! Thank you. I guess this is proof that this old keto dog can learn new tricks! Peace!

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Found this recently thought I would put the link here for others.