Bone Broth UK

keto
newbies
fasting
food
extendedfast

(Dani) #1

This may sound like a silly question… But I can’t seem to find the answer.

What is the UK equivalent to bone broth that can be bought? Everything I’ve looked at has added sugar, with the exception of some granules that I bought on Amazon which were pricey and tasteless.

I considered making my own, but the butcher in the food market thought I was nuts when I asked about it.

I’m really into fasting, most recently around the 72 hour mark. I’d love to drink more than just tea/coffee and water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(bulkbiker) #2

Go to a proper butcher and ask for some bones to make “stock” as we usually call it.
Or get a chicken roast it, eat the flesh and then boil up the bones. Add some flavourings and veg if you like.

I make my own sometimes, but when I have run out of my stash I buy it from Waitrose. https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-cooks-ingredients-beef-stock/759266-107993-107994?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk8CQi63G3AIVTpPtCh27GAzCEAQYAiABEgIkw_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLCJpY6txtwCFTAy0wod328B8Q

They have chicken, lamb and veg stock in pouches too.

When getting bones, the only reliable grass fed organic ones I could find (which I wanted because it leaches out everything) I order from Riverford organic.

(Dani) #4

Thanks for the info.

Theres is 43 kcals per 100 grams in the Waitrose stock. Do you use this whilst fasting? If so do you water it down?

(Dani) #5

Thanks for the response.

I’ll try it this weekend and see if I get anywhere. If not I’ll buy a chicken and use the bones.

Hey, no I don’t fast yet for various reasons, so I haven’t looked into. Also I don’t really like drinking broth - I use it in chillies, curries and soups / stews.

I struggle to make good chicken stock. My friend swears by adding cardamon for a nice taste.

(Rob) #7

Making your own broth (stock) is great as you know exactly what’s going into it! Your best bet for bones is talking to your local butcher and asking for a mix of meaty and jointy bones. Meaty for flavour and jointy for collagen and other connective tissues which break down. All bones are good sources of nutrients. For beef stock, you’ll almost always be able to get oxtail and beef rib bones from your local butcher and those together will be fine. If your ribs come with meat on them by all means cook them up and eat the meat off them first before putting them in the stock. They can even be frozen before you put them in, so you don’t have to have your ribs for breakfast :wink: The best way to cook beef ribs is low and slow and for Keto, make a dry rub which will add flavour without carbs.

General consensus is to roast any previously uncooked the bones for around an hour before putting them into your stock as that helps to bring out the flavour. Don’t forget to put the juices from the roasting into the stock pot.

This is the recipe I use…

I used to do mine on the hob in a big pot and while that did yield a good amount of lovely gelantenous stock I’ve recently got an Instant Pot pressure cooker and what used to take 6 hours on the hob now takes 2 and I can do it in smaller batches and produce arguably better stock.

It will take a day or so for the stock to fully set into a jelly, after which you can take the fat from the top and use that for cooking veg or other things in.

Your stock will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. I use old cream containers to make 300ml cup-sized portions for the freezer. Once frozen I then loosen from the pot by running it under the hot tap for a few seconds before popping the contents into a tightly sealed container to take into the office on the days which I fast. You don’t want your thawed stock leaking anywhere unless you want a pack of dogs following you around :wink:

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

(Dani) #8

This is super helpful thank you so much!

I’ve got a pressure king pro so I’ll give this a try at the weekend.

(bulkbiker) #9

That was going to be my next question… so yours will be quite quick to make… good luck!

(Rob) #10

Great :slight_smile: you’re welcome.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

In the U.S., it is possible to buy what are called “stock cubes” in either chicken or beef flavor (they also come powdered in little sachets, now, as well), and Dr. Phinney advises relying on them in situations where carrying around homemade broth is impracticable. (One does have to check the ingredients lists of the competing products, in order to find the one with the least noxious ingredients, of course.) I always thought something like that was available in the U.K. Am I wrong?

(bulkbiker) #12

No you can get lots of different stock cubes… they are however usually fairly revolting and full of quite a few nasties that home made stock isn’t.
So at a pinch they would be ok (maybe with some butter added) but nowhere as nice as homemade stuff.

(David Taylor) #13

I boiled a full chicken in salt for around 3 hours with turmeric and a little curry powder and a bunch of green beans that I needed to cook. I removed the fillets and beans for my wife to eat over the next few days. I pulled bones and skin out and strained the rest of the flesh to use for soups etc.
I let the remaining broth cool and removed the fat…
There remaining stock set to a jelly.
I now add 4 tablespoons of the stock to a cup of boiling water with extra salt… It is so delicious, I love it. I’m limiting myself to max 2 cups a day.
I have some beef bones on order. My butches get a carcass in on Wednesdays ready to prep for the busy part of the week and weekend.
I’ve asked them to cut them up and they are charging me £1 a bag. I’ll let you know how it goes.

(Dani) #14

Thanks for the message. I think I will give this a try!