Bone broth for aspirin?

(Colin) #1

I’m keen to try extended fasting, and would like to build up to a monthly five-day fast. However, I’m taking 75mg aspirin daily for heart disease, which should be taken with food to avoid stomach irritation. Does anyone know whether bone broth would be a sufficient substitute for food, to enable me to continue the aspirin during a fast?

(Bunny) #2

[1] When is best time to drink bone broth?
To start, a bone broth fast is generally an extended period of time where you consume only bone broth, water, and herbal teas. …However, if you are new to fasting or are feeling light-headed, it’s okay to include one small meal of grass-fed meat and vegetables for every 24 hours of fasting. …More

[2] I take medications with food. What can I do during fasting? Dr. J. Fung: There are certain medications that may cause problems on an empty stomach. Aspirin can cause stomach upset or even ulcers. Iron supplements may cause nausea and vomiting. Metformin, used for diabetes, may cause nausea or diarrhea. Please discuss whether or not these medications need to be continued with your physician. Also, you can try taking your medications with a small serving of leafy greens. Blood pressure can sometimes become low during a fast. If you take blood-pressure medications, you may find your blood pressure becomes too low, which can cause light-headedness. Consult with your physician about adjusting your medications. …”
…More

[3] Intermittent fasting – things to consider during fasting Can you drink bone broth while you are fasting? Dr. J. Fung: Yes – Bone broth is highly recommended. It contains numerous minerals and vitamins and is quite ‘filling’ in terms of reducing hunger pangs. The other benefit is that you can add a good amount of sea salt to it. The other fluids taken during a fast – water, tea, coffee – don’t have sodium and you can become dehydrated. Mild dehydration, for example may lead to cramps and headaches during longer fasting. So, yes, bone broth is highly recommended (recipe). Also very ‘Paleo’ in the sense that this is a very traditional food with long healing traditions. …” …More

Other interesting things about Aspirin:

[1] Aspirin disrupts the mTOR-Raptor complex and potentiates the anti-cancer activities of sorafenib via mTORC1 inhibition.

[2] Aspirin inhibits mTOR signaling, activates AMP-activated protein kinase, and induces autophagy in colorectal cancer cells.

[3] Aspirin may inhibit angiogenesis and induce autophagy by inhibiting mTOR signaling pathway in murine hepatocarcinoma and sarcoma models

[4] Repurposing of Metformin and Aspirin by Targeting AMPK-mTOR and Inflammation for Pancreatic Cancer Prevention and Treatment

[5] Aspirin Side Effects + 7 Natural & Safe Alternatives

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

Have you tried taking it without food to see if it upsets your stomach?

(hottie turned hag) #4

Take an antacid with it, like Tums. Harmless and not contraindicated with either aspirin therapy or fasting :slightly_smiling_face:

(Colin) #5

Wow, what an amazingly thorough and helpful response! Thank you.

(Colin) #6

No, although I did think that’s the obvious thing - just try it and see…