Bone broth benefits. Where is the research?

(James Gough) #9

There are some potential negative effects of bone broth as well and that is heavy metals that leach out of the bone.

I made some yesterday and had 3 cups this morning and then went to have some more and discovered my cleaner has thrown it all away!

(Carl Keller) #10

Everything you ever wanted to know about bone broth:

I stumbled into Keto by way of trying to heal my gut, IBS, food intolerance’s and recently suspected Chron’s Disease.
Did a lot of study on natural ways to correct these problems and Bone Broth has played a very important part IMHO.

I firmly believe in the health benifets of BB. It wasn’t long ago (before the overwhelming health problems of today) that BB was part of a normal diet, I’m old enough to remember ,when staying at both grandmothers, sipping on beef or poultry bone broth.

Preferably use organic bones, but at least free range.
I seemed to have failed to save any sientific studies, but this is a good article for starters;

BTW I was on a BB fast when deciding to go Keto and continued with BB every day for about 3 weeks, never had any inclination of Keto Flu.

(Bunny) #12

Bone broth works to help seal up a leaky gut but there is one other little tweak to this:

Details shmeetails just tell me what works?

Your Best Weapon Against Food Allergies and Food Intolerances | Chris Masterjohn Lite #71

Why I incorporate a multitude of various organ meats into my bone broth but I do not eat the actual meat or various veggies (strain, save and eat later) when doing a bone broth fast!

I also use a dash of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to help leach the minerals out of the bones. I like a lot of cartilage attached to the bones.

I also use wild elk bones in my bone broth around $70.00 dollars a bag of bone chips!

Bones and organs of wild critters are the bests in my opinion!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

And your grandmothers probably had stock pots for making it, too.

(Janelle) #14

My grandmother’s Hungarian mother taught her to make something that she called “cuchinya”. It was pork-based with water, a little pepper, salt, bones, ears, feet, etc. It was in essence, bone broth that one put in the fridge and made a kind of cold aspic out of. I always thought it was disgusting but she always claimed it was healthy.

(Bunny) #15

One little thing you may want to know is you want to have a certain ratio of collagen (actually absorbed in intercellular microns; hyaluronic acid; the bodies molecular glue[1]) intake in contrast to that protein intake (Advanced Glycation End Products[3] AGEs)!

Bone broth[1][2] and Muscle Meats[3] are two different animals (they do different things[1])…lol

Footnotes:

[1] Bone broth protect your joints: Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate and hyaluronic acid are all compounds called glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), which are found in bones and tissue. Another unique benefit of bone broth is that it’s highly anti-inflammatory, thanks to its amino acid profile.

[2] “…a high fat diet[1] might or could cause glutathione depletion (at least in rats?) in theory as discussed by Chris Masterjohn PhD but that is why we have bone broth and other foods[2] to make sure that does not happen? …” …Me

[3] “…Animal-derived foods that are high in fat and protein are generally AGE-rich and are prone to further AGE formation during cooking.[3] …”

[4] Biochemical Studies On The Effect Of Sodium Nitrite And/Or Glutathione Treatment On Male Rats “…Conclusion: Due to the hazardous effect of food additives as sodium nitrite, it is recommended that the use of sodium nitrite as food additives must be limited and glutathione has the ability to prevent its toxic effect . …” …More

[/quote]
atomicspacebunnyBunny
Yes Bunny Chris makes a lot of sense in what he says. It is a shame he is commercialized selling packaged broth components, the good news is your not.
I also strain meat and organic carrot & celery, I do throw it out to the the magpies, as feel there is not much goodness left after min. 24hrs simmer.

Agree with your adding offal, I am not game (yet) as a long time gout sufferer. Re gout, was a big concern for me going Keto but 6 weeks in and no problem (knock wood).

Yes adding apple cider vinegar is always advised by those in the know.

The Elk bone chips sound a good idea, wild animals should be organic alright.

Can’t remember if they did, but far more than likely.

(Bunny) #18

Interesting read on Re: Gout

Does a ketogenic diet increase your risk of gout? By Dr. Stephen Phinney and the Virta Team

Thanks Bunny,
that is one I read before I started Keto, was able to do a fair bit of study on the subject.
That first paragraph made my day.
During the first couple of weeks I was anxious though, & drank copious amounts of water.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #20

I make bone broth for several reasons.

1. for a fast

2. potassium and magnesium and sodium

3 ) N=1 my joints feel better

1. my dog can visibly move easier and better on bone broth.

I have never looked up the science, I have become very jaded on a lot of the nutritional science out there. I rely on N = 1 more than a lot of the so called science. Ever since I learned about Ancel keys and what happened with a lot of buried research that proved him wrong.

For me the science has to be rigorous or I don’t believe it. Time and time again we have seen traditional food wisdom be true and the science proven wrong.

(DougH) #21

I love bone broth, I like the Epic jarred broth, and I love when I have time to make my own with good grass fed bones.

I don’t think you can deny the nutrient profile.
I don’t think you can deny that it is easy on the gut.
That being said I think the claims of benefits are exaggerated.

Eating fat doesn’t make you fat. Eating a carrot doesn’t make you orange (ok maybe if you ate enough of them :rofl::rofl:). The cholesterol in our food doesn’t go directly into our blood. So why would consuming collagen in our bone broth impact collagen in our bodies in the manner that is often claimed.

At the end of the day it is just nutrients, trace minerals, protein and aminos.

I view it only as a good way to break my extended or intermittent fast with something tasty and easy to drink.

(Omar) #22

and if you eat animal tongue, your tongue does not become longer

(DougH) #23

My dear spouse can sadly attest to this. :laughing::innocent:

Iced,
Couldn’t agree more with your position re Ansel Keys, I view the era like the beginning of the end of people eating a healthy diet. Not surprisingly, all the current problems like allergy, inflammation, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer may all stem from an unnatural diet that seems to have begun about that time. Of course physical activity (or lack of) plays an important part as well.

Not to mention the deceit from those in power to feather their own nests to the determent of the modern western world.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #25

There I was reading the article and right in the middle is my opportunity to get my Plant Based Nutrition Certificate and to “live a whole life” and then I just can’t trust the article anymore.

Some more positives:

“As a 2017 study in the journal Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care notes, glutamine supplementation helps heal the intestinal barrier in human and animal models.”

Source: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323903.php

These relate to collagen supplementation rather than bone broth but are interesting

(James Gough) #28

@Iced I like your response and have to agree. I’m fed up with the lies told by biased research companies that is then peddled by bought media agencies.

I think I need to steer away from the research, I don’t know if you saw my other post and article - The truth about Cholesterol, LDL, HDL, Statins and YOU! : Study Links Statins to 300+ Adverse Health Effects - and I guess nobody would want to pay to research bone broth as it can’t be patented.

However, I did see a lot of research on cancer websites stating that bone broth, cartilage and a product called citatrix or something helped reduce and stop cancer. However, when the treatment stopped, the cancer often returned, but then that just said to me that the treatment shouldn’t stop, which once again is what the tradition of bone broth recommends as well.

I’m going to keep with it and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks everyone else for the replies too :slight_smile: