Body memory

(German Ketonian) #1

Some stats first:

I am male, 6,1, 175lbs, don’t need to lose weight, very insulin-sensitive, good health.

In July 2017, I started my keto journey. In beginning of December, I’ve quit keto for 5 months. As of May 3rd, I’ve started the keto WOE again

Since I have already gone through the keto adaptation phase I was quite intrigued to find out whether three are any differences for me this time around, and whether my body “remembered” to to transition. Thus, I have measured my BHB every day @ 6am after a 12 hour fast from May 4th to today. The results are quite interesting I think, so I though I’d share them. Baseline is May 3rd, were I (unsurprisingly) didn’t register anything because I was still loaded up with carbs:

May 3 0.0
May 4 0.3
May 5 0.8
May 6 2.2
May 7 2.4
May 8 3.4
May 9 3.4
May 10 3.7

I’ve kept my macros to 85%f, 13%p, 2%carbs @roughly 2500 kcals. So it’s a lot of fat and very ketogenic. Despite, I was surprised at how quick big BHB numbers appeared. What’s interesting is that I had no side effects whatsoever: no weakness, no flu, no cravings, no carb withdrawal, NOTHING! And my appetite hasn’t really been there. On some days, I had to force the allotted 2500 kcals down the hatch. Not because I was disgusted, simply because I wasn’t hungry at all.

So my conclusion from this is that my mitochondriae already know what to do with all the fat and that a second keto adaptation can take place within a number of days, rather than weeks. At least that’s what it feels like.

(TJ Borden) #2

I’m nowhere near your stats, but I noticed the same thing. Not really intentionally. I’ve been keto since October 2017, but I went on and off of LCHF for several years before that.

I noticed when I went keto last year that I had that I really had no keto flu, not even that empty/hunger feeling I used to get when I’d restart LCHF.

(German Ketonian) #3

Interesting! During my first keto experience, I had to fight binges - now it seems really easy to stay in control. No desire to binge at all. This is such an empowering feeling!