Bob's N=1: Popcorn's effect on blood sugar

(Bob M) #1

Since I have a FreeStyle Libre CGM (continuous glucose monitor), I’ve been running some tests. I made some home-made popcorn for me and the family. I used about 1 tablespoon palm oil, 1 tablespoon ghee, 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup popcorn and salt, and we split between four people.

Here’s one time, ate popcorn at just after 7pm (1900), 4.8. Finished at the 4.6 (near 8pm), and you can see basically a zero point rise for popcorn:

To get US units, multiply by 18, so 4.8*18 = 86.4. NOTE: My blood sugar is usually naturally dropping at this point during the day, so maybe there was a blood sugar “rise” that’s hard to see.

Here’s another graph, had popcorn on either Friday or Saturday night, after 6pm (1800), usually near 7pm (1900). Again, no or very little discernible rise in blood sugar.

Saturday, I had a drink, which is why you likely see the red (alcohol may have made my blood sugar go down). It’s hard to tell, though, as my blood sugar naturally goes down at night.

I’m planning on one more test, this time, I’ll weigh everything including what I actually eat. I also have given up alcohol for Lent, so that will be one less possible confounder. I’ll report back.

(PJ) #2

This is great! I’m resisting the urge to give you a list of stuff to test for all of us LOL!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The company that makes my popcorn maker recommends coconut oil, because the seed oils create a gummy film that eventually hardens and can’t be cleaned off.

(Alec) #4

I saw the recent tv ads (Australia) for this unit, but was put off by the monthly cost. Are you using it as a means of experimentation, or do you have this for diagnosed health issues eg T2D?

Great n=1 experiment by the way, very interesting.