Bob's N=1: KetoMojo v. Precision Xtra for ketones

(Bob M) #1

I’m comparing KetoMojo versus Precision Xtra for ketones. For each of these, I have two meters, one at work and one at home. For the KetoMojos, I used that electronic device for one set of 50 test strips. That is, both KetoMojos are calibrated using the electronic device. I ran them with a test solution, too.

The Precision Xtra supposedly does not need calibrating, although I used the test solution on one of them…and got 1.3.

All four meters are set to mmol/l. Anyone have any idea why the values on the Precision Xtra are basically one-half the values on the KetoMojo? KetoMojo is on the left and Precision Xtra is on the right.

The values in the spreadsheet that are not shown do not have (blood) ketones on them. Yes, I have almost 1,700 tests on myself, which include blood sugar from three different monitors (currently, FreeStyle Libra CGM), breath ketones, urine ketones, and many, many, many different tests on myself (blood sugar after eating, apple cider vinegar, pre- and pro-biotics, you name it).

Anyway, why are the Precision Xtra monitors giving me values that are half of what the KetoMojos are giving me? (Or, why are the KetoMojos giving me double the values of the Precision Xtra?) Low carb over 5 years, eat lower fat, higher protein diet.

(PJ) #2

The photo has two keto mojo meters. Is that an error? :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #3

Hi PJ, that is not an error. I have two Keto Mojo meters and two Precision Xtra meters. That was a test of both Keto Mojo meters using the Keto Mojo’s test solution, to show that both meters tested well. I did this before I started my testing process.

I’ve given up trying to determine which is more accurate. I kept getting Keto Mojo values that were twice the values on my Precision Xtra meters. So, I bought some more Keto Mojo strips and used them and the calibration stick on one Keto Mojo device. I again got twice the value of the Precision Xtra. So, then I bought another set of strips for the Precision Xtra meters, and again get twice the value for Keto Mojo than what I get on Precision Xtra.

And then there’s this:

My ketones were somewhere between 0.2 and 0.8.

So, any testing I was gong to do, I’m hesitant to do that. I believe that protein intake has a minor effect on ketones, while fat has a major effect (for me), and I also think that extra fat intake (beyond calorie requirements) causes even higher ketones. I was going to try to test this. However, after 5.5 years on low carb/keto, my ketones are low unless I fast for a few days or eat high fat (and I eat higher protein now). So, 1.0 mmol/L is high for me. Trying to test when I get a range between 0.2-0.8 isn’t useful.

I’ve been using the Precision Xtras for years now, from back when the strips were $5/each and then I got them down to $3/each by buying them on Ebay. Now that they are $1/each, either one of these meters will work to test ketones, but the actual value on the face may not be accurate. For me, I’ve noticed a higher number of strips for Keto Mojo are bad. That is, I’ll get some very high ketone value, when the Precision Xtra shows much lower. I’ve not had that happen with the Precision Xtra.

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

I’ve been watching this thread since you started. I don’t have a lot to say that’s meaningful, but the calibration of these things always drives me nuts. I’m retired from a career in electronics and I’m used to most measuring equipment being accurate and repeatable to within 1%. I used a Contour Next glucometer because it was the most accurate in a study someone posted here, at about 4 to 5% repeatability.

I have a Precision Xtra but haven’t bought keto strips for it in years. I’d have to get calibration solution and test it. I don’t like that word because it’s not calibration, it’s really just a check with a known concentration. A calibration solution would change a setting in the meter to read whatever the calibration value is supposed to be.

I used to use my Precision Xtra for blood sugar and it always read higher than the glucometer I was using at the time. I honestly never felt good about the accuracy of the meter, but it was the only way to measure blood ketones, which meant everyone’s data was based on that meter.

I’d say if you stick with one meter and one batch of strips you can still do useful testing comparing apples to apples. If the point was to have a second meter at work then it will be less convenient for sure. I test my last strip from one batch to the first strip from another batch to give me an idea of higher or lower in the same meter.

(PJ) #6

Some days… it’s just the way of the world. The other day I tested my BG and it said 30. I said out loud to the meter, “I’d be in a coma, idiot! That’s gotta be wrong!” Yep, second test was radically diff. Then I grabbed my electronic in-ear thermometer. It thought I had a fever of a couple degrees. I run “up to” a couple degrees under, not over! Second test: yep, 1d under. I guess one just has to consider all this variance “play in the wheel” so to speak.

PJ

(Joey) #7

My BHB levels are so high on Keto-Mojo I’ve grown skeptical too. I’m consistently ranging around 4-5 mmol/L, sometimes higher, and rarely lower. There’s really no compelling reason I can figure for why this would be the case, now in my 5th week of <20g/day carbs… unless I just have a super power - which is not likely :wink:

Meanwhile, I’m doing wonderfully well and assume I’m in a nice state of ketosis since everything feels significantly better (physically and mentally) across-the-board, along with marked weight loss, inches off, and excellent NMR lipid panel results.

BUT … I confess that I’ve grown skeptical about those ketone levels I find on the screen everytime my Mojo beeps.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

This makes me interested as to what it would say for me. I’m not interested enough to spend money on a new meter and strips.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

I’m thinking that when I have my next set of lab work (its gonna be a few months unless I can get my doc to order it in the next few days)…I’m gonna ask my doc to order a test for my blood beta-hydroxybutyrate (blood ketones). If he agrees (and I don’t see why he wouldn’t) it would be interesting to see how it compares to my PrecisionXtra meter.

@ctviggen maybe you could also this? I assume that the lab that runs it would have fairly accurate equipment…

ETA: the test lists the “normal” range as: 0.02-0.27 mmol/L

(PJ) #10

Somehow, I lost my lancet pen. It cannot possibly be outside my reach as I didn’t leave my chair, but neither me or a friend can find it.

I recalled I had something in the bathroom cupboard, an old glucose meter. So in my search I found that in fact I have TWO ‘old’ meters:

ReliOn Ultra which does glucose
Precision Xtra which does both glucose and ketones

so it turns out my Keto Mojo (glucose + ketones) was an unnecessary purchase. Oops.

Anyway, I got just a few strips online, from walmart and amazon, for using both of these. I will do some tests comparing glucose on all three, and ketones on the two, and see what the comparison is like. It wouldn’t be until probably a week from this weekend as one of the deliveries is not soon.

PJ

(Bob M) #11

As an update, I gave up testing. Basically,all the Keto Mojo results were twice the Precision Xtra results, and I ordered two sets of strips for each and calibrated the Keto Mojo meters (I have two of each device) with their special electronic device. I used test solution on each Keto Mojo, and they seemed to read about the same, but the Precision Xtra was about half that.

The Precision Xtra seemed to have fewer anomalous results, the kind where you say, “Really?”, and the Keto Mojo had more.

So, I think either one is good if you want a gross measure of whether or not you are in ketosis. If you want to do testing, though, where say you increase your protein and decrease fat, and you want to KNOW what the results are, I think there are too many variables.

For blood sugar, I usually use a FreeStyle Libre continuous glucose monitor (preferred) or a Bayer Contour EZ, which at one time was judged the most “accurate” meter. The FS Libre also can do pin-prick analysis of blood glucose, but I haven’t tested its accuracy.

I have both a European FS Libre and and American FS Libre. The former does not need calibration with strips, but the latter does. They are both 14 days.

Anyway, I’m now not testing anything, as every time I tried to determine something (does eating later cause higher morning blood sugar), I got some results indicating “yes” and then other results indicating “no”. Same for ketones, etc.

And given the thousands of tests I’ve done, I think the cost is too high for what you get, except maybe for the CGM. That can be very helpful and can give you info you can’t get with other things. Now, if they could just add insulin and glucagon, that would rock.