Bob's high saturated fat, low PUFA, TKD/CKD

(Bob M) #1

I’ve been eating a high saturated fat diet as per the Fire in a Bottle idea. Since this allows some carbs, I’ve been trying to eat the carbs after my workouts, as a pseudo-TKD/CKD. My goal is to stay in ketosis while at the same time getting some glycogen replacement.

I’m working out three days per week. I’ve split my body into two groups of muscles, legs and chest/back/arms. I have a repaired completely torn supraspinatus in my right shoulder and a completely torn supraspinatus in my left shoulder (not repaired – the surgery in reality takes about a year out of your life to recover). So, my goal is some strength gain without injury.

Two days a week: body weight (BW) training to failure, then HIIT for 15 minutes. One day per week: HIIT for 27 minutes. BW training to failure means, for chest as an example, pushups on flat ground until I can do no more; then pushups with legs elevated until I can do no more; then pushups with body slightly elevated until I can do no more; then pushups with body further elevated until I can do no more. I’ll do two more exercises to failure each time, usually dips (on machine, with lots of weight to help me) or presses/flyes (both machine). A combination of BW exercises and machines. For chest, it’s about 8 sets as quickly as I can do them, each to failure.

Two days a week then is BW training about 35-40 minutes, then HIIT for 15 minutes.

So far, I have been able to maintain ketosis even when eating mashed potatoes (with high stearic acid butter oil) or Einkorn biscuits (butter only but with added butter or stearic acid butter oil). For instance, yesterday, I ate sometime after my workout and had three Einkorn biscuits with high stearic acid butte oil, and my ketones went up (first column to the right of time is Keto Mojo, then blank, then ketonix output, then pin-prick blood sugar from Free Style Libre):

These might seem like low ketones, but I’ve been low carb since 1/1/14, and these are basically what I get even when fasting. Note that Tuesday’s readings were taken 32 hours fasting (coffee, tea, no cream, water only) but after a workout. And it was a 0.1 mmol/l, which is not unusual.

Anyway, I’ll update this as I can. Alas, for Lent the only thing I can think of to give up is this board. So, I won’t update until after Lent is over. I hope to be able to get a CGM and more strips. Right now, I’m broke, but I should have enough cash soon, I hope.

I’ll update after Lent.