Bob's CAC score, 5.5 years low carb, high LDL-p, Lp(a), ApoB, Homocysteine

(Bob M) #1

I am 54 and have been on a low carb/keto diet since 1/1/14. I have (quite) high Lp(a), sometimes high LDL-p, ApoB, and Homocysteine. Here are my values over this time, where highlighted yellow = the test was taken after 4.5 days fasting. The other tests were taken after overnight fasting unless the notes say otherwise.

Lp(a) is strange, as there are three different reference values being used. The main one is Quest’s nmol/L, which is “high” risk >125, “optimum” risk <75. I am almost triple the “high” risk value.

Here are the results of my Coronary Arterial Calcification scan, which is about the only indicator that tells actual risk of coronary heart disease:

A zero score is the lowest score you can get. So, if my “high” values of Lp(a), ApoB, LDL-p, Homocysteine, etc. are affecting me, they aren’t doing it through calcification of the arteries.

(Karen) #2

A bill of health

(Bob M) #3

Thanks, Karen. I posted this because of the many questions regarding blood tests for cholesterol and people asking if their results indicate higher risk for heart disease. The CAC scan is really the “only” test that quantifies that risk. I also posted because if eating low carb/keto supposedly causes heart issues, this is one data point indicating that isn’t true.

I live in CT, US. You supposedly need a doctor’s prescription for this scan. My cardiologist refused to give me a prescription. I found a place that gave me the scan without a prescription, though I had to drive a while to get there. It cost $100, and is not covered by insurance in my state. I had three quotes, 2 were $100, one was $300. So, it pays to shop around.

(Karen) #4

I too have thought about being in doing a CAC test. I asked my Kaiser doctor about it and that’s not covered by Kaiser. They said I could see if I can get one scheduled at their local hospital; however, there is a local group that does it for $100. She said they are not entirely accurate. And she says of course it’s a big last radiation to your chest/heart area. All that being said I don’t think she’s read a lot of the literature that we have. I’m thinking I will do one just because there’s heart issues in my family. My mom has a medicated stent. My dad were nitroglycerin patch. My sister has done an ablation. My mom apparently has sticky blood, or at least that’s what her cardiologist said. Soooo… I’m considering a CAC test

(Jeff Gilbertson) #5

I’ve been low carb since 2009.

I had a CAC done in 2011, and another in 2016.

Both were zero.

I will get another in 2021.

(I will be 57 in September)

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

I don’t have the link to it, but @siobhan has done some deep research into Lp(a), so I have tagged her. You can probably find her article on cholesterolcode.com in the more recent postings as well.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Karen, with that family history it is a good investment.

She is concerned about that radiation, which is less than women get while taking mamos? No words.

I’m glad I did it, it turned out my score at slightly over 300 was in the moderate risk range, not where I wanted it to be. I am following Blanchet’s protocol to see if it will halt or go down. I was already using some of the supplements, but needed to add more VitK and niacin. Also I have really upped my dental hygiene, my water pic gets multiple workouts daily now.

(Siobhan) #8

https://cholesterolcode.com/the-big-deal-about-lipoproteina/

Ivor also has some great contributions to the discussion as well:

(Bob M) #9

I’ve been a fan of Ivor since I saw him give a presentation at the inaugural Keto Fest. He got me thinking about a CAC scan. There is radiation, but it is relatively low. And I spent 6 years in Navy Nuclear Power, so I personally am not too concerned.

I think we have all these people who post here, freaking out because they get “high” LDL. But that does not tell you anything. At least with a CAC scan, you get some sense of what’s going on internally. With LDL, you have no idea.

Ivor also has high Lp(a), but a zero CAC score. I think I read that post about Lp(a), but I’ll look again.