Bob Harper host of Biggest Loser had a heart attack

I understand your frustration. When two (or more) parties use the same wording to express their point of view, it seems bizarre.

Also, there is nothing wrong with someone changing their WOE. Happens all the time, with most people, I would guess.

I remain concerned about Bob’s condition, and through the evidence I see on the internet, I teeter on the side that he ate foods that would aggravate a heart condition. In addition, he positioned himself as an expert in health and nutrition, making lots of money and becoming a top celebrity in that field in the USA.

Collecting evidence, conducting analysis, formulating hypotheses, etc, is critical dialogue…not evil intentioned words. It hurts to listen to all sides of the argument when one has believed or lived a certain way of thinking. I imagine that right now, he’s focusing very heavily on all aspects of his health, nutrition included. I’ve seen lots of evidence of other WOE’s that he endorsed in the media…all except for LCHF. Will he consider it? I dunno. Time will tell.

(eat more) #124

it probably won’t be Bob that brings mainstream attn to LCHF…more likely that he’ll be approached by the AHA

(Cathy) #125

It is my understanding that runners and other high intensity athletes are convinced that they need to consume very high carb in order to perform. I think that notion is slowly being debunked but many ‘trainers’ either of fame or not, are still convinced that is true and are actively teaching people this old dogma. I think this is unfortunate and when a 52 yr. old, supposedly in very fit condition suffers this kind of life threatening event, it will naturally invite speculation. That is the price of inviting the public into your life (TV, interviews, books etc.).

It is true that every large running event that happens around the world, there will be at least a couple of fatal cardiac deaths in people who are ‘fit’. That is a sad fact but one that should be troublesome to those in that paradiym of carb loading etc…

(Dustin Cade) #126

Forbes

Research estimates range from 0.5 to 2 deaths per 100,000 marathon runners in a given race, a far lower risk of death than in the majority of daily activities. “Apr 15, 2014”

(Cathy) #127

Interesting. I wonder what the details are in ‘risk of death in the majority of daily activities’ means. Are they talking only heart attacks or is it all types of death? It also occurs to me that people who are running marathons or races are typically thought to be in ‘good health’ where as this is not assumed in other ‘daily activities’.

I found an article that seems to be on this exact statement on Forbes but it won’t allow me access…

(Kathy L) #128

Awesome! Maybe some of them have his # and if they are still in touch, could enlighten him -he could be an awesome keto spokesperson!

That’s the sad part, he’s doing what he’s learned either thru education, media, health professionals, government guidelines, etc. He thought he was being the most healthy he could be & wants it for everyone else. It is scary that someone can appear to be so fit & still suffer from HD. We will never know anything other than he has a family history. :weary: Ultimately, keto will not guarantee any of us another day-we never know what tomorrow will bring.

(Kathy L) #129

Exactly -but I wish it did! :wink: I’m just hoping to have relative health into my golden years!

(Kathy L) #130

Yes-it’s unfortunate-maybe his experirnce will turn the tide ( so to speak) of nutritional thinking in this country (USA) wouldn’t that be a blessing??

& BTW @Fiorella -your comments are always compassionate & wise. Right on the mark! You are a rock! I hope to “meat” :meat_on_bone: you some day! Any chance you’ll be on the LC cruise in may? I bet bob Harper will be discussed. :nerd_face:

(Kathy L) #131

Let’s hope not!

Hope we can “meat” too someday. :slight_smile: I’m not going on the LC cruise, but, there is always another chance some other time in the future.

(Ashley Haddock) #133

It’s very scary. As someone who has heart disease (and diabetes) on both sides of my family, it makes it even scarier. In fact, my grandfather just died on Monday due to a massive heart attack (his second one this year). But I have faith in how I’m eating being the best path for someone who has a potential for these diseases. Of course it doesn’t make me immune, but I definitely believe it will give me a better chance of living a long, healthy life than I would have otherwise (especially considering I was over 400 lbs).

(Crow T. Robot) #134

Have you gotten a CAC score?

(Ross Daniel) #135

I’m pro-carbs as well. In fact, I like them so much I choose not to eat them. :laughing:

(Ross Daniel) #136

They are probably talking about things like mowing your yard, walking your dog, hyperbaric welding, those sorts of things.

(Ashley Haddock) #137

Not yet but I plan on it.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #138

Me as well, way way up thread.

to follow up on this. It looks like Bob had high levels of Lp(a) http://people.com/bodies/bob-harper-heart-condition-i-dropped-dead/

(Dustin Cade) #140

I’ve heard about these proteins, though is an elevated level really cause for alarm?
perhaps @richard could shed some light on this…

(Richard Morris) #141

A lot of things about Lp(a) are still hypotheses

Lp(a) appears to be an anomaly in the structure of a protein on the surface of lipoproteins you make that causes them to be difficult to clean up when their job is done. It’s an inherited trait that causes you to make more anomalous than normal ones. It’s essentially an LDL with an Apoplioprotein A on it’s surface that shouldn’t be there, and it has a long tail that your cells can apparently be mistaken for an inflammation repair material called fibrinogen.

Normally after a certain time in circulation delivering lipids, our lipoprotein particles acquire a protein (Apolipoprotein E) on their surface that allows them to be taken out of circulation (70% by the liver 30% by other cells). The longer they are in circulation the weirder they get - oxidized, or glycated - the blood they travel in is a very reactive environment full of dangers for lipoproteins.

So anything that causes LDL to stay in circulation longer is bad. Lp(a) makes it more difficult to pull out of circulation. So your lipoproteins hang about longer and tend to be weirder than most.

That “clear me” protein comes from your energy carrying particles (Chylomicrons and LDL) bumping into HDL particles, which may be why the more HDL you have the better your health. Even if you make a lot of Lp(a), the more HDL you have the more chances it’ll get taken out of circulation in a timely fashion. So maybe a diet that promotes HDL is good for people who make Lp(a).

When you have inflamed blood vessel walls, your body will recruit resources to fix that from circulating LDL and if your LDL is weird … you’ll apparently get unstable repair jobs in the wall of your arteries. And that is likely one of the causes of atherosclerosis, which causes thrombosis and occlusion around the vessels feeding the heart, or brain and … well that’s bad news. The fact that these specific LP(a) particles are also mistaken for fibrinogen means they are more likely to be found around blood vessel repairs.

The fact that cell wall inflammation can be caused by high levels of insulin also means a diet that causes you to make less is going to be better for people who make Lp(a).

Lipoprotein (a) increases in a low Vitamin C diet?

you’re too smart for me @richard :clap: